Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a new set of tires for wife's 2011 MDX Adv, and I want to get AT tires, since we often travels to wildness.

However, there is NO AT tire available for 255/50R19! There are several choice for 255/55/R18, but that requires a new set of 18" rims. If keeping the 19" rim, there is 1 AT tire from Continental for 255/55R19, which increases the diameter from 29" to 30" or 3.3%.

Can anyone suggest if the 1" increase on diameter could cause any problem to the car's mechanic or safety? I'd like to avoid the extra cost of getting a set of 18" rims.

Thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Two things that would happen include your speedometer being thrown off and as result your odometer as well. Your speed would be lower shown on the speedo as actually is in real life. Just keep that in mind, if you are going to get these tires

My buddy has a mustang and his winters are 4 INCHES smaller in diameter than his summers... needless to say, he knows all about different tire sizes! :laugh:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I realize the actual speed with the 30" tire will be 3.3% higher than what's shown on speedometer. So does the odometer. That's not a big deal to me to have 330 miles difference for every 10000 miles traveled, or the actual speed is 72 when it shows 70. However, I do want to make sure no safety or mechanical problem could be caused by the slightly larger tire (30" vs 29" original).

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Mechanically should be ok. Handling/braking/power will take a bit of a performance hit due to taller sidewall and I would imagine they're going to ride pretty rough given the load index. I'd probably be more likely to stick to the stock size and go with one of the less performance oriented choices. Bridgestone has a Dueler H/L that has a decent looking tread. Probably work ok for light duty stuff, which is about all I'd take the MDX out in anyway.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestion. Will re-think the idea.....

·
Registered
695 Posts
Put more aggressive rubber on the 04, take it when the going is going to get rough..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put more aggressive rubber on the 04, take it when the going is going to get rough..
Going to do that also. However, thinking of the SH-AWD on 11 is more capable than the VTM4 on 04.

·
Registered
869 Posts
However, thinking of the SH-AWD on 11 is more capable than the VTM4 on 04.
Not sure I agree with that. You have VTM-4 lock for really hairy situations, and SH-AWD torque vectoring is more for on-road. 04 is lighter, higher ground clearance, and probably has less overhang. And it's fully depreciated...

Also, probably more A/T tire choices for 17" wheels on 04. But are you sure Michelin Defender LTX wouldn't be sufficient? They are fine on dirt and gravel, but they're not really a mudder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts