Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
mdxtang, there is a Premier LTX and a Premier A/S. You are talking abt the A/S, right?

Do you know the difference between the two? They look pretty similar. I want quiet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had a 2016 MDX with OEM Continentals. They were completely bald at around 28k miles and were replaced with Michelins before the lease expiration. We had $1500 in lease allowance so we could have turned it in with bald tires, but I didn't want my wife driving around on bald tires.

We have a 2018 MDX. We had a blowout on the OEM Continentals on our trip to Yosemite from SoCal. We had no spare because it's an MDX Tech FWD. We called AcuraCare, and they were supposed to send a tow truck, but after waiting 3 hours with my wife and two kids in the car with the a/c on full blast and Acura Care continuing to tell us that the tow truck is delayed, I called a local towing company to have us towed to a local shop where they replaced the blown out tire with a slightly different size tire because that's all they had.

When we got home, I replaced all the tires with Michelin LTX Premier and bought a spare tire kit off of ebay because they are back-ordered from Acura. I did some research, and thought about buying Bridgestone run-flats, but they have horrible reviews - people having blow outs from pot holes. I also looked into BFGoodrich - they have overall good reviews, but some road noise as people put some miles on them. Do not buy cheap tires - they work fine for the first 10k miles, but then they typically get really loud, even with proper rotations, balance, and alignments; that's why they're cheap. This is from personal experience of trying to save a few bucks and from tire reviews from other people.

IMHO, you really can't go wrong with Michelins. When I owned a offroad vehicle, I used mainly BFGoodrich and Goodyear MTRs, but we've always had the best luck with Michelins on my wife's SUVs for longevity, reliability, and road noise. We do go up to the mountains for skiing, but we always use chains. The only time you can go without chains in the snow is if you have studded tires or the special Blizzacks for the first 10k or 15k miles.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
there is a Premier LTX and a Premier A/S. You are talking abt the A/S, right?

Do you know the difference between the two? They look pretty similar. I want quiet.
It's the Premier LTX. I wanted the OEM size, which for my 2014 tech/shawd is 245/55R19, and the only tires Michelin's website has for it are the Premier LTX, Defender LTX, and Latitude Tour HP. The Defender would be better for off-road, which the MDX isn't really capable of in the first place so that point is moot, and would probably be better in the snow, which I'm not concerned about, but the Premier LTX is supposed to be better in the rain and is tops in 'comfort', which I assume would include noise as well. At any rate, I haven't found them noisy at all - just very smooth and quiet. They have about 20K miles on them now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mdxstang, thanks for the link.

Tire wear has so many variables, one has to weed thru enough posts to get an overall view of the tire, hopefully. Read other posts as well. And as I've told others, forum posts of reviews, for anything, will consist mainly of the love it/hate it crowd. The majority of a products users will rarely post anything.

Was tireman for trucking company, 30yrs ago. Granted, the quality of the materials used back then cannot compare to todays tires, nor can truck tires be compared to passenger vehicle tires. But many things I learned then, still apply today.

Back then, all the drivers wanted Michelins on the steer axle. Due to Michelin sidewalls being softer, aka more pliable, the trucks rode better. Downside was when recapping the tires, Michelin carcasses could only take 2, maybe 3 recaps. Most of the others could more than double that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update. Was going to go with Michelin Premiere since the rating are so high, and we put the miles on my truck, not her Acura.
While at WM, tire dept had a set another customer had ordered in. Definitely didn't like the tread depth once I could see it in person. Later that week, I saw M/P on coworkers car, which were wore out. Asked about them and she said 2nd set in only 56k miles!
Put Michelin Defenders on end of October. Wet roads they are great. Road noise no more than Conti's were, not bad at all. Ride is the same except when hitting bumps, the Michelins do not have the "sharp" hit the Contis had.
Overall, perfectly happy with the Michelins.

·
Registered
479 Posts
While we are updating... When I needed to replace the OEM tires a few weeks ago I found my first choice Nokian WR-G2 SUV tires unavailable for two months (!) - perhaps I have been telling too many people about them... I bought the Goodyear WeatherReady all-weather tires just before driving to central Oregon for Thanksgiving and a snowstorm. I am very pleased by how well they handled the snow - as good as I hoped. Since the last time I drove Nokians they were 2 generations ago and on a FWD car so I can't compare against the Nokian WR-G4 on the MDX but it has to be one very close horse race. Since there are now about half a dozen all-weather offerings there are now good alternatives to the Nokians. I have read that the new Michelin CrossContact tires are also right up there in performance but pay for it with lower tread wear.

FWIW the all-weather tires are meant for modest snow, slush, and icy winter conditions (in addition to all-season performance) but do not have the big cleats and wide channels for deep snow or mud. For that you need mud and snow tires, which wouldn't be a great choice for year-round use.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have the Goodyear WeatherReady on my '12 and they're great with the exception of certain handling characteristics. Namely some odd steering responses and almost a torque-steer effect when making full-throttle passes. I wouldn't put them on my '18 for year-round use due to those issues, but if you never drive on winding/hilly roads or make two-lane passes you may never notice this. I would also question how they would react to emergency maneuvers, although hopefully I don't need to find out.

I'm switching the '18 over to a set of winter wheels/tires this season and decided to try the Continental Vikingcontact 7's which are new here in the US. Rated better than the Michelin Xice and Blizzaks, the latter of which is what I've always run.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have IronMan I-move Gen 2 on a MDX 2017. They’ve been on the car for two months and the car drives perfectly fine and I don’t sense any vibration or excess road noise. Not sure how long they will last. I purchased the car used and it came with a new set of these. I was unfamiliar with the brand and researched it, debating whether or not I should replace them with a name brand tire ( I have Michelin pilot sport 3+ on another car so I’m familiar with higher end name brand tires), but after driving on them for two months and reading the positive reviews online, I’m going to keep them on the car until they wear out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's the Premier LTX. I wanted the OEM size, which for my 2014 tech/shawd is 245/55R19, and the only tires Michelin's website has for it are the Premier LTX, Defender LTX, and Latitude Tour HP. The Defender would be better for off-road, which the MDX isn't really capable of in the first place so that point is moot, and would probably be better in the snow, which I'm not concerned about, but the Premier LTX is supposed to be better in the rain and is tops in 'comfort', which I assume would include noise as well. At any rate, I haven't found them noisy at all - just very smooth and quiet. They have about 20K miles on them now.
Michelin makes an AS3+, but those are considered Ultra High Performance all-season tires. Just an aside, I put them on a 13 Corvette Grand Sport and they are So SO much better, for my driving, than the OEM Goodyears. I intend to try the LTX when the Conti's wear out on my MDX.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have experience many tires brands on various cars that I have owned. There is one thing good about Michelin is their traction performance stay within 90% throughout its life (~3 years). Stay away from cheap brand like Hankook tires, they are decent when new but traction degrades significantly after heat cycle within 9 months.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts