Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our 2nd Mdx. We bought it knowing we would be needing tires at the end of this summer. I drive the Queen bonkers because I am EXTREMELY picky about tires and will shop, compare, blah blah blah, for months.

Conti Lx Sports came on it in 245/55-19. Only Conti's I've ever had, so eally cannot complain with the short time we've had the MDX.

Conti Lx20's seem to be tire of choice, which is fine. But, if Continentals are good, is there possibly something better?

On the short list are the Lx20's, Bridgestone HL Alenza Plus, and possibly Michelin Premier or Defender. At the moment, it's a coin flip between the Lx20"s and the Alenza Plus. Anyone have experience with both and can give an honest Lx vs Alenza?

Curious if anyone ever ran Nittos on the MDX? Opinion?

Wet road manners is my #1 concern with ride/noise being 2nd. I can deal with the rest being less than great (but not poor).

Others I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Go with the OEM Michelins. You can't go wrong with them. They are quiet, they are long lasting. The perform excellent on all sorts of pavement and in all kind of weather. What's not to like?

I would never go back to anything else after getting my all season OEM 18" Michelins for the summer and winter ones for the winter. My summer ones have been on since 2015 and will go into their last eason in 2020 spring/fall, and my awesome super-quiet winter Michelins just got on in November 2019 and will last me all the way until 2024.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have had a new 2015 MDX with standard rims and a new 2017 MDX hybrid with 20” rims. Both came with Continentals. I have read little more than gripes about this tire - bad winter traction, low miles, junk, whatnot. In my experience these have been excellent tires for what I want - quiet (shhh!!!), smooth, touring tires that nevertheless handle well. I do agree that the miles are not good - I will get less than 40K off this set and I got about 37K on the 2015 as I recall.

I have always used Michelins. I put the LTX on my 2015 when it needed tires. They were fine. But they were not as quiet as the Conti’s and they were a bit harsher, and I didn’t like them as well. I don’t know the miles, as I sold the car.

I need tires soon. I will not be putting the LTX on this car. I will go with the OEM tires if I can’t find something better. I have gone to Pirelli’s on my two other cars and like them a lot. But I have read some bad things about the Pirelli model that fits the 20” rims on the 2017, so I have to know more. Michelin makes a Primacy Tour A/S that is supposed to be exceedingly quiet and good handling (with lousy miles). These are my top three candidates at the moment.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not a fan of the Contis that came as OE on my MDX. The Michelins that were on the loaner RDX were just as noisy. Seems for a "premium" car Acuras are really loud at highway speeds. Both tires seem to ride and handle OK, but honestly the Yokahamas I put on my old Ram dually were way quieter.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My options are limited by the choices i got from Costco, lol, so far they only offers Michelin, I used to use Bridgestone ECO422, they are quiet and last long with reasonable price, but there isn't an option for 19inch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have purchased the highly rated Michelin Defenders for both our 2015 MDX and 2001 Volvo XC70 (that has 317,000 miles on it and always ridden on MIchelin). I live in the Pacific Northwest and need a tire that will do rain, snow and summer. These have been superb and we always get great mileage on them (80,000+) before replacing.... rotating every 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
My options are limited by the choices i got from Costco, lol, so far they only offers Michelin, I used to use Bridgestone ECO422, they are quiet and last long with reasonable price, but there isn't an option for 19inch.
As has been mentioned before. Costco will usually order Bridgstone or Michelin tires. They don’t have to be on their in stock list.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The stock continentals are the best in my opinion. I put 60,000 miles on them while I had the '15 MDX. I have doubts that my new '19 MDX's Michelins will hold up anywhere close to that mileage. On the other hand, check out Costco, as they frequently have sales on Michelins, and offer a no-worry pricing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have been happy with the OEM Michelin Latitude Tour HP. I am closing in on 40k miles and will need to replace soon - no claims to being easy on the tires...

My next tires will be Nokian WR-G4 SUV tires. They are all-weather, with Severe Service rating (traction tires, mountain/snowflake badge). If you won't be dealing with snow then stick with all-season, otherwise look at the all-weather tires or a separate set of winter tires.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have been happy with the OEM Michelin Latitude Tour HP. I am closing in on 40k miles and will need to replace soon - no claims to being easy on the tires...

My next tires will be Nokian WR-G4 SUV tires. They are all-weather, with Severe Service rating (traction tires, mountain/snowflake badge). If you won't be dealing with snow then stick with all-season, otherwise look at the all-weather tires or a separate set of winter tires.
There is no "all-weather" tire. There are all seasons, all terrain, summer, or winter/snow tires.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There is no "all-weather" tire. There are all seasons, all terrain, summer, or winter/snow tires.
Cardude2000,
You need to do some research before you state an opinion. Nokian's are what PDXsailor says they are. I have them on my 2014 MDX right now. Very good in the snow and wet weather....after a year or so, the noise has increased some but not much. Handle well and the wear is good. They have the "snowflake" designation. But, if you live somewhere where you won't get any snow or will drive in it infrequently, I don't think you need/want those tires. I am in western PA so we do get some bad winter weather and they do well.

To the OP, I did use the Alenza Plus' on my 2006 MDX and liked them (Costco purchase) but, only ran them for 6 or 8 mos before we traded the '06 in on the '14 we have now. For that short time we had them and the price I got at Costco (cheaper online that at the store, plus the rebate), I had no complaints.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cardude2000,
You need to do some research before you state an opinion. Nokian's are what PDXsailor says they are. I have them on my 2014 MDX right now. Very good in the snow and wet weather....after a year or so, the noise has increased some but not much. Handle well and the wear is good. They have the "snowflake" designation. But, if you live somewhere where you won't get any snow or will drive in it infrequently, I don't think you need/want those tires. I am in western PA so we do get some bad winter weather and they do well.

To the OP, I did use the Alenza Plus' on my 2006 MDX and liked them (Costco purchase) but, only ran them for 6 or 8 mos before we traded the '06 in on the '14 we have now. For that short time we had them and the price I got at Costco (cheaper online that at the store, plus the rebate), I had no complaints.
I guess there is an all weather tire. Seems as worthless as an all season tire. Especially in the snow. Can't have a tire be great in the winter and summer.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I guess there is an all weather tire. Seems as worthless as an all season tire. Especially in the snow. Can't have a tire be great in the winter and summer.
You should have quit while you were behind...

There are about 5 major tire companies with all-weather tires. Nokian was the first, by about a decade, and were the first to make modern winter tires before then. Their WR line has tested at about the average of winter tires generally, which is to say they are quite competent in snow and ice. If living in snow country a modest but significant improvement can be had by buying the very best winter tires, swapping them as the seasons change. Buying an average winter tire will offer no benefit.

I drove for a decade with WRs on my Maxima and loved them, year-around, including over mountain passes all year, in deep snow and dry pavement. They were great. For the MDX the SUV version of the tire is required, and they have coarser cleats on the outside; I would expect them to be slightly better in mud and snow and also a bit noisier than the car version. Of course I was driving on the G2 (second generation) WRs and today they are selling G4s so I expect some small improvement from that. They use more silica in the rubber today, for better grip on ice.

Bottom line: if you live in snow country then buy a second set of wheels with top winter tires, assuming you want to spend that much money. If you don't have to deal with winter conditions then buy summer or all-season tires. But if you don't live in snow country and get to the mountains or other wintry areas regularly then all-weather is the perfect solution.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You should have quit while you were behind...

There are about 5 major tire companies with all-weather tires. Nokian was the first, by about a decade, and were the first to make modern winter tires before then. Their WR line has tested at about the average of winter tires generally, which is to say they are quite competent in snow and ice. If living in snow country a modest but significant improvement can be had by buying the very best winter tires, swapping them as the seasons change. Buying an average winter tire will offer no benefit.

I drove for a decade with WRs on my Maxima and loved them, year-around, including over mountain passes all year, in deep snow and dry pavement. They were great. For the MDX the SUV version of the tire is required, and they have coarser cleats on the outside; I would expect them to be slightly better in mud and snow and also a bit noisier than the car version. Of course I was driving on the G2 (second generation) WRs and today they are selling G4s so I expect some small improvement from that. They use more silica in the rubber today, for better grip on ice.

Bottom line: if you live in snow country then buy a second set of wheels with top winter tires, assuming you want to spend that much money. If you don't have to deal with winter conditions then buy summer or all-season tires. But if you don't live in snow country and get to the mountains or other wintry areas regularly then all-weather is the perfect solution.
...ok you just reiterated my point. The point is if you are going to be driving in snow or in very cold temperatures then you should be using a dedicated set of winter tires. If you're driving in snow in anything but that, you are a danger to yourself and other people. Nothing less than that will SAFELY suffice.

·
Registered
493 Posts
No, that wasn't my point. If one is living in snow conditions much of the year - think Minnesota, Vermont, Rockies - then by all means get the best winter tires you can afford. If for cost or convenience reasons that is not an option then all-weather tires will suffice (and be legal with the mountain-snowflake logo). After all, half the winter tires sold perform worse than the two all-weather tires I researched, so the main point is that if you are not going to spend the money for the best winter tires this is as good as, or better than, the rest of the winter tires. It is either a very positive statement about the performance of these tires, or a hell of an indictment of many winter tires, or in reality a mixture of both. These are perfectly safe winter tires: that is how they earned the Severe Service rating (which is not just marketing BS but a federal standard). For those for whom only the best will do by all means buy the best winter tires, which will make you a little safer assuming you don't drive faster because you think they are safer; driving skill on snow and ice makes a big difference, and overconfidence can't be saved by great tires.

I appreciate your skepticism, but since you obviously know literally nothing about these tires you should probably stop just repeating your prejudice and do a little research first.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am running the G3's on my MDX and they work perfectly fine for where I live (western PA, just east of PGH). They are much better in snow than "all season" tires and handle well on dry or wet pavement. Perfectly happy with them. They are slightly noisier than my previous tires but, they are more aggressive. The serrated siping on all the lugs and the bite of these really help on snow/sloppy roads. They are also the "directional" version.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know we're starting to go off-topic a bit, but I definitely feel that there's room for an "All-Weather" classification for tires. If there wasn't any room for it, the market would have faded away; instead, it appears to be growing. I think that all-weather tires have found their niche (almost like Subarus), and they give drivers another option to choose from when picking something that best fits their wants and needs.

Sure, like any other type of tire, one that carries an "all-weather" designation will compromise performance in some areas. An all-weather tire may not handle snow and ice as well as a dedicated winter tire, but I would think that it would perform better than a winter tire in dry and wet conditions. It would probably last a little longer too. Likewise, when compared to an all-season tire, it probably wouldn't wear as well or be as quiet. But at the same time, winter traction should be better.

It's tough to accept a blanket statement about the need for winter tires, as everyone's individual situation is different. Should a first responder who lives in a cold, snowy region get a set of dedicated winter tires? Sure, makes sense. Should someone living in the DE/MD area who has the option to telecommute get a set of dedicated winter tires? Probably wouldn't make sense here. Should a hospital nurse living in a townhouse in the Northeast get dedicated winter tires? I'd say that a set of all-weather tires may be a good fit here.

On my other vehicle (FWD sedan), I actually have all-weather tires mounted on a separate set of wheels for winter use. The OEM wheels come with wide, low profile tires that just don't cut it for me in the snow. I live in central NJ where the land is relatively flat; but I commute north, where there is a slight elevation change. The difference in altitude does make a difference in snow accumulation, where I could have wet roads at home but over an inch at work. And if the weather is bad enough, I do have the flexibility to stay home. Unlike the stock tires, which I felt were not acceptable in the snow, my other tires give me enough confidence to drive at a reasonable pace, not at a crawl. At the same time, almost all of my driving in the winter is on roads without snow or ice; so I preferred the all-weather tires over dedicated winter tires. I don't feel that I'm compromising wet/dry traction, handling, and treadwear as much.

I have a co-worker who's tire selection is closer to the other end of the spectrum. He runs a set of BF Goodrich A/T tires (with the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol on the sidewall) on his AWD Toyota Sienna in the warm months. In the winter, his other wheels are outfitted with studded General Atlimax Arctic. He drives all over the place (maybe does 30-40K miles per year), visiting hiking/biking trails in the summer and ski areas in the winter. I do tease him a bit about his "summer/winter/off-road tires" on the minivan, but at the end of the day we also have a mutual respect for each of our tire selections.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Bridgestone HL Alenza was the stock tire on my 2011 Acadia and I took them to >80K miles (mostly highway driving). They were quiet and did well in winter snow, as well as summer rain. Sorry to say, no expreience with them on an MDX but if/when the time comes to replace the stock Conti's, the Alenza will be very high on my list.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate all the response. I've ran Michelins on my trucks for years with no complaints, and is my go-to. Even run Michelins on my pro-touring Chevelle, while most muscle cars wear Nittos, or other brands I won't even consider for anything I own.
I've never owned Bridgestones before getting my GMC Sierra Denali last year. I have been very impressed. Hate to say it, but they may even ride better than the Michelins did on the truck I traded in. They did great in what little winter we usually have, and wet roads haven't given me any concern. Whisper quiet as well.
Watching all the tirerack videos, the Conti LX20 takes the prize every time they compare it to any others, where wet roads are concerned. It's mentioned above, and other threads, forums, etc, that Contis seem to wear a little quick. Since the Queen only put 30k miles in 6yrs on her last MDX, whatever I get will probably be the only set I'll put on this MDX. As for snow, we don't see much but occasionally we get dumped on. But, if the Queen even sees a flake of snow, she begins having visions of being in a ditch. So, I take her to work with the truck.
I'll keep watching and we'll see how this thread goes, as well as my final purchase.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
You might want to read this thread - https://www.mdxers.org/threads/tire-life.166892/

I replaced the Contis on my 2014 MDX with Michelin Premier. I was okay with the Contis but like the Michelins a bit better and they were more available and I think less expensive. I chose the Premier over the LTX only because the Premier was closer to the OEM Michelins (not exactly the same but similar) than the LTX and the Premier was rated very highly for rain performance. While I live in an area where it rarely rains, I so some coast to coast trips including one I completed yesterday and went through some torrential downpours outside of DC that made the national news and another in New Mexico that was even worse and the tires as well as the MDX performed very well in it. The tires are also holding up about as I expected. I expect the lifetime will be less than the LTX would have been but I knew that going in and did the trade off.

While Costco had a good deal on these Michelins I was able to get them right away (in stock) at Discount Tire and they matched the Costco price and provided excellent service, as they always do IMO.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts