Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought the MDX looked a bit "under-tired" with the 235/65 17's. I think a wider footprint would benefit (the looks of) the X. Without purchasing new wheels, I'd like to put 255/60's on the 17 inch wheels when my OEM's need replacing soon. The dimensions are pretty close, except for the 20mm wider tread, which is what I want. The only concern I have is that a minimum 7" wide wheel is recommended for that tire size. The OEM 17's are only 6.5" wide. Should I be concerned?:confused:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think you need at least a 7" rim , but to be sure go to www.tirerack.com and look for the tires they have in that size. Then, look at the specs they give for each tire. They tell you what range of rim widths the tire will fit for that size. Good luck.;)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
psteed said:
I've always thought the MDX looked a bit "under-tired" with the 235/65 17's. I think a wider footprint would benefit (the looks of) the X. Without purchasing new wheels, I'd like to put 255/60's on the 17 inch wheels when my OEM's need replacing soon. The dimensions are pretty close, except for the 20mm wider tread, which is what I want. The only concern I have is that a minimum 7" wide wheel is recommended for that tire size. The OEM 17's are only 6.5" wide. Should I be concerned?:confused:
Yes you should be concerned! Don't put a tire on the vehicle if the wheel width is correctly mated to the tire. It will affect the handling, performance and affect the warranty of the tire. If want to go larger on the tires, you also match the rims with wider ones. If going to modify, go for the correct match or you will be sorry with the results.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I share Paul's concern. I would only put the size recommended on the rim.

That said, there are sometimes when you can indeed go wider and still be within the limits of the design. I would not feel comfortable with changing the size, however, until I corresponded some way with the supplier of the stock Acura MDX rim.

Of course, again, as Paul said, you may still encounter a change in performance that may not be negative, but may not be what you wanted. I have never tried the Tire Rack thing (I guess they have some sort of guide for each tire as to what rims it will fit on?) beyond purchasing tires. Great operation and excellent prices!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts