Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Firestone Dueler Alenza experiences

I recently on Dec 8, have a set of Firestone Dueler Alenza 235/65/17 installed on my 2003 MDX at Costco. First day ride..steering was shaking at 60+ mph and pulling to the right side. Got it rebalanced and rerotated, then was shaking at 65mph+ and pulling right. Again rerotated and rebalanced, got on to a 2500 miles trip...Steering occassionally was shaking at 70+ mph, or sometimes at 80 mph and keep pulling to the right side. I wonder how many people have the same experiences with Firestone Dueler Alenza tires or simply poor job at Costco. I had Michelin Tires before and had never had steering shaking or pulling problem before. Each rotation at Costco took about 2 hours wait by the way, what a pain in the butt. And when I asked where each tire got moved to which wheel...they do not know and do not bother to track them. All they keep telling me it is the best tires in the world.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I recently on Dec 8, have a set of Firestone Dueler Alenza 235/65/17 installed on my 2003 MDX at Costco. First day ride..steering was shaking at 60+ mph and pulling to the right side. Got it rebalanced and rerotated, then was shaking at 65mph+ and pulling right. Again rerotated and rebalanced, got on to a 2500 miles trip...Steering occassionally was shaking at 70+ mph, or sometimes at 80 mph and keep pulling to the right side. I wonder how many people have the same experiences with Firestone Dueler Alenza tires or simply poor job at Costco. I had Michelin Tires before and had never had steering shaking or pulling problem before. Each rotation at Costco took about 2 hours wait by the way, what a pain in the butt. And when I asked where each tire got moved to which wheel...they do not know and do not bother to track them. All they keep telling me it is the best tires in the world.
First of all, the Dueler Alenza is sold under the Bridgestone brand name, not Firestone.

Vibrations and pulling can be caused by any (or any combination) of a number of problems, including improper balancing, improper alignment, suspension problems (like bent components, worn/cracked bushings, etc), and tire manufacturing defects. You need to have a competent mechanic (preferably one who is ASE-certified in suspension work, or who has a lot of suspension experience) take a look at the car to diagnose the problem(s). You won't find one at Costco.

I suspect your problem is not with the tires themselves, but rather, either something is wrong with your car, or the wheels weren't balanced properly. Given that the tires were re-balanced, I'm betting on an alignment and/or suspension problem.

As for the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, I've been using them on my MDX with absolutely no problems. (I've had a few problems with the stock Michelin Cross-Terrains, with vibration/balancing and inflation problems as they get worn down.)

BTW, it's easy to do tire rotations yourself, even if you're not much of a mechanic. All you need is a torque wrench; you can buy one for under $20 at Harbor Freight. You can use the jack that comes with the car, or you can spend $50+ for a floor jack. If you don't have an extra wheel/tire, you can use the spare tire as a placeholder on the car as you move each wheel to a different corner. If it's not the first time you're doing it (or if you have someone knowledgeable showing you what to do), you should be able to do it in 30 minutes. As another alternative, you can have the tires rotated when you get your oil changed, since the car will be on a lift anyway. Either way, no need to wait two hours (!) at Costco.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you nsxtasy, You are right on the tire brand. I will ask them to rebalance the tires again. I know the alignment and condition of the car are great. It has only 62K miles on it. I had the old tires before and never had steering wheel vibrating or pulling right. I can rotate them myself no problem, but not balancing. Costco guy did tell me the balancing was off a bit in the last two rotation/balancing. Sorry if I did not say clearly both times they rebalanced the tires and both times said they said they were off a bit. Anyway, I have a appointment for 10am tomorrow for rebalancing and rotation and will see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just to follow up with my tires issue. Went to a separate Costco for rebalance and rerotate all tires. I insisted they have to cross tires and mark them. They found both front tires off 1.25oz. They also rerotated all 4 tires and cross. I drove on the hwy, vibration are gone, steering are go straight and not pulling right, or at least it is straight until road surface change a lot. That little 1.25oz off good enough to pull your car to left or right when the wheels speeding at such high speed.

From my experiences, I know aligment is not the problem although tires shop always claims nothing wrong with their work or tires. For many years of driving experiences, I have to say get the tires fixed before spend money on aligment etc. This happened to my other car. The problem immediately fixed by Discount Tires. They installed all brand new tires on my car, steering pulled to the right, rebalanced, rotated the front tires to the back, steering stayed stable and straight. Then when they moved the rear tires to the front, same problem occurs. They decided to install two brand new tires to the front, tested and no steering pulling. Problem solved.
In this MDX, I noticed one tire was manufactured a year earlier, and is now on the rear side rather than front wheel. Different manufacturing time created different batch of quality tires, various density and durability. Material are not always the same. That is why some people said why they get different mileage off the same brand/model tires. I hope this helps some car owners when they installed new tires and run into the same problem. If you do not have steering problem on the old tires, please insist they fix the new tire problem, that save you some money to fix perfect alignment or steering the shop ask you to.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have a little over 2500 miles on cooper cs4 touring tires on my wife's mdx. So far we are happy. Has done well in heavy rain and snow/ice so far this fall/winter. Time will tell how they wear but they have an 80 k treadlife warranty. We are not overly aggressive drivers so our review reflects that but we were definitely happy with their performance on the 4-6" of snow covered central PA roads over the holidays.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just put on 4 new Michelin Latitude Tour HP 255 55 18s. OEM on 2009 MDX Sport. I got 50K out of my first set and after all the reading and others nightmares I went with what made the most sense. Shop dealers in your area..they do not all offer the same prices. My regular dealer was over $1500 for just the ties without alignment. I found all four OTD with alignment for under $1,200. This was a great price since Tire Rack asks for over $1200 w/shipping. No mounting, balancing, alignment, or taxes. So Acura Dealer made the most sense and I am covered by Acura. Peace of Mind. Yes, they wanted to cut my rotors for $400 claiming pulsating during braking? Seems just fine to me? I will do my own brakes when needed...

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I found all four OTD with alignment for under $1,200. This was a great price since Tire Rack asks for over $1200 w/shipping. No mounting, balancing, alignment, or taxes.
You don't need an alignment when you're replacing your tires. Perhaps you needed one at this time anyway, but there's no connection with a tire replacement.

F

·
0 Posts
I purchased Nitto 420S Tires for my 2009 MDX and that was a BIG MISTAKE!!!These tires are so loud, Sounds like I have a lifted truck.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts