Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Michelin Man

Yesterday I had a brand new set of Michelin LTX M/S tires put on my wife's '05 MDX that we purchased last month.

My personal experience with these tires has been extremely positive. I drive a 4Runner and just replaced my old LTX M/S set and with regular rotations, balancing, etc... I was able to get just a hair under 100,000 miles on them (99,979 to be exact)!

Not only did they ride really well without being loud, but I found handling to be nicely responsive, highway driving was very smooth and traction with mud, snow and rain were all fantastic... and they look pretty damn sharp too.

All those reasons above are exactly why I put those very same tires on my wife's MDX. The set I had installed are just outside of the stock/spec size. Stock for this vehicle is: P235/65R17 and I had P245/65R17's installed... Going from the 235 to the 245 only widens your tire by (roughly) 1/4" to 3/8", but the difference vs stock is so negligible, you really won't notice anything.

FYI - The new Michelin LTX M/S2 tires are starting to come out, but they aren't available in the stock - or close to stock - sizes just yet... If you can hold off, I'd certainly recommend buying those - assuming they expand into sizes for the MDX. They're supposed to perform even better than the original LTX M/S (what I have) since newer technology and changes/improvements have been built into the new design.

Last - if you don't know already, they aren't cheap. I'm in central Ohio, bought them through Discount Tire (because they have many locations throughout the US) and paid $1,088.70 for everything. This includes a few discounts I was able to negotiate, but ultimately purchased the tires for $200/EA. The rest of the charges included their free replacement/balancing/rotating package (very much worth it!), replacing your TPMS modules $10/Tire and the miscellaneous environmental/state fees. Also, don't forget that Michelin currently has a $70 rebate going on right now with the purchase of a new set... I guess that technically makes my total purchase $1,018.70. I'd rather pay the premium up-front for high-quality tires that not only perform really well, but can last for 100,000 miles!

Did I mention I LOVE these tires? :D

- AA

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thanks for the info also.

Why is SUV tires so expensive compared to ones on minivans?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
This morning I will be going down to SAMS Club and having my original Cross Terrains (55,xxx miles) replaced with the same. These are currently $190 each and they have a free installation package provided by Michelin.

The original tires have served me well in all conditions so I feel safe replacing them with the same. I still have some tread life left, but I will feel better replacing 6 year old tires.

George

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tires for 2003 MDX

Last summer I had to replace the Goodyear Invictas that were on my 03 MDX. My experience with the Invictas was poor as they really don't do well in wet weather. I put on a set of BF Goodrich Long Trail TA tires. Wet and snow traction are much better, as is road noise. The tires tended to flat spot initially while parked overnight, with the flat spot working it's way out after a few miles. The only downside of these tires has been their tendancy not to hold air well. I have at least one which needs a top-off every two weeks or so. I would have got the Michelin touring tire for the vehicle but was warned by the dealer that they had been getting an unusual number of returns for degrading rubber.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Last summer I had to replace the Goodyear Invictas that were on my 03 MDX. My experience with the Invictas was poor as they really don't do well in wet weather. I put on a set of BF Goodrich Long Trail TA tires. Wet and snow traction are much better, as is road noise. The tires tended to flat spot initially while parked overnight, with the flat spot working it's way out after a few miles. The only downside of these tires has been their tendancy not to hold air well. I have at least one which needs a top-off every two weeks or so. I would have got the Michelin touring tire for the vehicle but was warned by the dealer that they had been getting an unusual number of returns for degrading rubber.
dealers lie to sell what's in stock

FWIW I just replaced my cross terrains with the same BFGoodrich and not a bad tire for the money. A little noisier though

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dueler Alenzas for me

Good price at COSTCO...being V rated vice H (OEM Michelins) makes it handle more like my Bimmer...excellent upgrade.

2004 MDX.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2008 with 28K miles on the original Michelins. The rears have 3/32 remaining and I am putting on a new set this weekend. I was very dissappointed with the Michelins and to replace them new they are extremely expensive.

After reading many reviews and doing much research I am using the Toyo Versado CUV.

You can find them at the Tread Depot for a reasonable price. I will update once I have had time to review them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All those reasons above are exactly why I put those very same tires on my wife's MDX. The set I had installed are just outside of the stock/spec size. Stock for this vehicle is: P235/65R17 and I had P245/65R17's installed... Going from the 235 to the 245 only widens your tire by (roughly) 1/4" to 3/8", but the difference vs stock is so negligible, you really won't notice anything.
AAHill, could you post some pictures of your MDX with the 245/65R17 Michelin LTXes? That's the size I'm considering buying, and would love to see pictures of your ride with those installed.

Thanks. :29:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pictures?

Sorry - I haven't been on in a while.

Do you still need pictures?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Anybody had experience with Michelin Primacy MXV4. This tire is rated 1 of the best seller at Tirerack and the price looks interesting compared to Michelin Cross Terrain. Take a look at the following link:

Tire Search Results

I need 4 new tires on my X and I'm planning to use those tires.

Let me know how's everybody opinions. Thanks !

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you are in Chicago, I would go to Discount Tire, they will beat anyone's price out there and have the best service. I just put the Michelin LTX M/S on my 01 X. My wife and kids just took the truck to Florida for spring break and the truck performed beautifully. Also, I have seen sets of Michelins get well over the mileage they are supposed to be rated for. Like 120k miles on a 60k mile tire. If you wan the best, put on Michelins. FYI Bridgestone Alenzas also do well, and Yokohama also builds really good tires.

IMHO.

Mike

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you are in Chicago, I would go to Discount Tire, they will beat anyone's price out there and have the best service. I just put the Michelin LTX M/S on my 01 X. My wife and kids just took the truck to Florida for spring break and the truck performed beautifully. Also, I have seen sets of Michelins get well over the mileage they are supposed to be rated for. Like 120k miles on a 60k mile tire. If you wan the best, put on Michelins. FYI Bridgestone Alenzas also do well, and Yokohama also builds really good tires.

IMHO.

Mike
I agree and Discount Tire is where I'm going for my tire replacement and Michelin Primacy MXV4 is lower in price compared to Michelin LTX and Michelin Cross Terrain. I can save about $150 for 4 tires and Michelin Primacy MXV4 is also rating one of the best seller on Tirerack.

Firestone replaced my 05 camry with Bridgestone Potenza and it's not cheap. I paid around $160/each and it only last 40k miles, it's so noisy that I can't stand it and the rating is 50k miles. I complaint to Firestone and they gave me some ****s like the tires are not rotated as it supposed to ( I've done all rotations by myself) and my struts were weak that caused it, they said struts supposed to replaced at 50k miles.....and did not do anything about it so I never go back to Firestone for tires again.

I have the original Michelin Cross Terrain on my X and I've got 70k miles on it, the tread depth is still 5/32 " so I might keep it for a little while, maybe I'll replace them in the Fall, unless I find a good deal before that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred

what do u guys think of these?I want the most comfortable tire for my 2003 mdx.I live in new york city and want a smooth ride.I went to tire rack and put in info for comfort first and these came up.My only problem is in they say they are for sedans and coupes,even thought they came up under mdx search.
I put a set on my TL a few years back, and didn't like them. Ride was soft and quiet, but handling was really mushy and the front end felt like it was washing out.
Took them off and replaced with a set of Triple Treads (non Forterra) and it was much improved. I would suspect your MDX would have the same poor steering as my TL did with the Comfortreads.

'05 MDX

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, here's my perplexing tire story. Bought this '05 MDX 2 years ago, and installed new Goodyear Forterra Triple Treads. It drove OK but nothing like the TL I had just traded off. I figured it was an SUV thing. Put a set of Dunlop Grandtec snow tires on this winter, and WOW. Not only was the grip really good, but the MDX drove like a sports car. Now spring is here and I don't want to put the Forterra's back on. I'm in a small town and my local tire shop has Goodyear and Dunlop, so would like to stick with those. Anyone have experience with Goodyear Eagle RSA's? How about Dunlop SP Sport? I just want a good handling tire that is also good in the rain. Winter is not an issue as I will put my winter tires back on. Would appreciate any advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would not recommend the RSA's or any other goodyear/kelly/dunlop tire, IMO. I would buy some really good tires from discounttiredirect.com . They will ship you the tires and then you just take them somewhere to have installed. Save some cash, buy a great tire, enjoy the ride all year long!

My opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
The OEM Michelin Cross Terrains are excellent. The reasons: high mileage, ride comfort, and quiet. I bought my '03 new, got 61k out of the originals, got an unbelievable 74k out of the second set, and replaced those this fall with 135k on the car. With a 65k treadware warrantee, and these will take me to 200k.

Note: Be sure to get a good, highspeed spin balance. When this 3rd set went on this fall, the car shook just a but at 80+ mph. Me being me, I took it back and had the shop rebalance them. The car is now smooth even at 90 mph. (Did I mention I am a Massachusetts driver?)

I also recommend BJ's Wholesale club for tires.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts