Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best tire for my MDX 2002 model year? I plan to replace with four new. I never drive off-road and seldom on back-country roads. But yes, much highway driving, often with a full cargo load ( two big dogs plus gear for the three of us) and occasionally a small enclosed travel trailer for canoe gear and etc. I want a tire that will support highway speeds of 75-85 on hot days and cold when the traffic (and law enforcement) permits that. I care more about safety than tread life.

What is your experience with the Michelin that is promoted by my dealer as Original Equipment? It is only speed-rated as a Category T. This feels uncomfortable since I prefer H or at least V rated tho I don't go that fast. I just want the peace of mind of a really good tire that won't blow out ever nor roll me over!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I use inexpensive tires I randomly find pairs on CL. I know perelli makes "scorpian" in the correct size for the 02. I'd be very comfortable with the michelins in your senerio. Good Luck.!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use inexpensive tires I randomly find pairs on CL. I know perelli makes "scorpian" in the correct size for the 02. I'd be very comfortable with the michelins in your senerio. Good Luck.!
Thanks, bolt. Will check into the scorpians.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What is the best tire for my MDX 2002 model year? I plan to replace with four new. I never drive off-road and seldom on back-country roads. But yes, much highway driving, often with a full cargo load ( two big dogs plus gear for the three of us) and occasionally a small enclosed travel trailer for canoe gear and etc. I want a tire that will support highway speeds of 75-85 on hot days and cold when the traffic (and law enforcement) permits that. I care more about safety than tread life.

What is your experience with the Michelin that is promoted by my dealer as Original Equipment? It is only speed-rated as a Category T. This feels uncomfortable since I prefer H or at least V rated tho I don't go that fast. I just want the peace of mind of a really good tire that won't blow out ever nor roll me over!
the other oem tire is the goodyear integrity. Cheap and not rated well, however if you narrow down tire racks reviews to just acura -many people happy with the longevity.

an h or v rated tire will make the mdx ride rougher

·
Registered
435 Posts
Any reason you don't like the Michelin Cross Terrain?
I've had both.
Goodyear Integrity - very soft, cushy ride, with treads lasting till 40K miles mark. Inexpensive.
Michelin CT - more firmer but comfortable ride, over 70K miles that requires replacement soon. Expensive at initial purchase but not if you consider the mileage it lasted.

I'll be replacing with Michelin CT soon.

Agree with above post regarding "H" rated "V" rated, etc. You really don't need more than "T" rated tire for MDX for what you describe.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I recently bought Hankooks from Tirerack for a good price, and they are quite good for the price. I can't say too much about longevity though yet, but they are quite and rides quite nicely.

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tires for your 2002 MDX

It's best to stay with the OEM recommended Michelin Cross-Terrains if you want quiet comfortable ride, long service life (>60,000 miles), and good dry and wet traction including in snow. Stay away from Hankooks, they have a tendency to cup and become noisy. I had a set on my 04 Acura TL and they became noisy after 12,000 miles.

BFG offers the cheaper Long Trail TA, but after speaking with Discount Tire rep, he told me they are noisier than the Michelins.

Another thing to consider in today's high gas prices is the weight of the tire. Some are heavier than others which negatively impact fuel economy. Also check the age of the new tire before you buy it. The four-digit DOT manufacturing code is on the back side which tells you the age of the tire. Some tires sit in warehouses for a long time before being shipped to a store.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Probably a good idea to do alignment when getting tires also. Also get it done right.

Mines initially wasn't done right 3 weeks ago. I found the vehicle pulling left.

After 2 hrs at BigO today they finally fixed it I hope. So it appears ok after the alignment.

Total difference now in the drive and ride.

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
It is usually what you pay is what you get.

You should check out the rating on Tirerack. I had Pirelli Scorpions blowout on the freeway too, but that doesn't mean that they are bad tires.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I run Toyo Open Countries on my 04 and I love em. They ride extremely smooth and they are great in the snow. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recommend against the OEM Michelins, which have terrible winter traction. Search for my thread on the topic. I used Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas on my last SUV, and they were excellent.

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
comfort tires

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred

what do u guys think of these?I want the most comfortable tire for my 2003 mdx.I live in new york city and want a smooth ride.I went to tire rack and put in info for comfort first and these came up.My only problem is in they say they are for sedans and coupes,even thought they came up under mdx search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
nexen tires

I just installed 4 Nexen tires on my 2001 MDX and i"m quite satisfied. They ride good and quiet also.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts