Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering if anyoone else has had problems with their original tires? I have a 2002 mdx and I have had to replace 3 tires it the past 4000 miles, and the truck is just under 15k(the 15k service was done last week). All of the tires that have been replaces are the factory tires, the replacement tires have not had any problems. The first was replaced on 12/24 the second 12/27 and the latest one today(3/3). The dealer says there have been no reported problems with the factory tires. But it seems strange to me that 3 tires would all have side wall problems in such a close time span. The service reps only comment was that the winter is tough on tires. But this is the 3rd truck I have had in about 12 years and the only one I have had any problem with, not even even a flat tire. My driving habits have not changed and this is really dissapointing not to mention getting expensive.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
No problems here after 5000 miles.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Perhaps you were just unlike with your batch

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
No problems after 33,000 miles.:1:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Were the tires all on the rear? You might have the infamous "broken swaybar link." When it breaks, it can scrape/gouge the inside of the tire sidewalls.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
vipermdx said:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyoone else has had problems with their original tires? I have a 2002 mdx and I have had to replace 3 tires it the past 4000 miles, . . .
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Sounds like a real bad problem Out of curiosity, what tire pressure(s) are you using? If you'll look at the tire pressure thread, you'll see several surprises. Even after leaving the dealership, some have reported inconsistently odd tire pressures on all four tires. Improper pressure can cause severe damage. Sounds like an obvious thing to discount, but never overlook the obvious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well luckily this one turned out to be part of a screw which was repairable. I must have really bad luck. I dont know what the tire pressure was, I never thought to check it since it was just in for service and they SUPOSSIVELY checked that. However I am still suspicious about the first 2 both having tiny sidewall holes within 3 days of each other (I did keep the 2nd tire just in case it happened to another and to see if there was any recourse) but unfortunately I could not get the first one. Both Michelens were on the right side of the truck but the first was back and the 2nd was the front. So I dont think it was that sway bar prob. Oh well I guess I will just chalk it up to dumb luck, even though it started to leak a day or 2 after leaving the dealer for 15k service.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
No problem with my Michelin tires after 1 yr / 16500 miles.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
vipermdx said:
Well luckily this one turned out to be part of a screw which was repairable . . .
:( Would'nt you know it, I also got a screw in my right rear tire today. There's a house being built down the street from me and I'm sure I must have picked it up driving by there. When they were building others around me I got three flats from construction activity in my previous car.
Luckily enough I had a coupon today from the local phone book for a free flat fix. Went there and they fixed it for free, no strings attached. The dealer sells Michelins and was pleased to see that's what I had on my X. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a problem with the tires after about 4000 miles... My dealer (Hendrick Acura) replaced all 4 tires and I have not had any problems since (now at 20010). The service manager told me that he had seen some problems with factory tires and did not want to waste my time or his with trying to fix them. They checked the alignment and front end (all OK)...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts