Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I know this question has been asked before but here goes anyway:

I have the Goodyear factory tires on my MDX (Navi only, no Touring) and the Maximum pressure stated on the tire is 44 psi, as per Goodyear. The door jamb label says 32 psi, as per Acura. My biggest concern at this point is gas mileage. Is it OK to max the tire pressure out at 44 psi? Give me your wise experiences and opinions. I don't mind a stiffer ride if I can increase my gas mileage a bit and at the same time, drive my car safely at the maximum tire pressure. I am a little surprised because I have never owned tires that call for 44 psi. That just seems a lot. Thanks in advance for all your great input.

rjmoose

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
44 psi sounds AWFULLY high, unless you're running your X with a full load on board all of the time. The 32 psi recommendation balances ride, handling, traction, AND tire mileage. My tires wear quite evenly at 32 psi; I'd bet that most of the wear would be in the center if the pressure were above, say, 35 psi or so. Wet traction would also suffer at the higher pressure. FWIW, I'd say "don't do it." :28:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would say the 44 PSI would not be a good idea. That is the MAXIMUM amount of pressure to be used on the tire, so if you fill it to the max and drive on the tire, driving will cause the tire to heat up and increase the pressure beyond the maximum amount allowed.

I would go with between 32 and 35 as well. That is what is recommended, and they feel good at that pressure. FWIW

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Same here 44 is the absouloute maximum tire pressure. Meaning do not go pass 44lbs. I do 32 as well, make sure the tires are cold,hasnt been driven.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
rjmoose said:
Is it OK to max the tire pressure out at 44 psi?
rjmoose
I don't think that would be a good idea. Maximum pressure is only needed/desirable when you approach maximum load weight rating for the tire. Just looked at my Michelin Cross Terrain tires and they said "Max Load 1929 at 35 Maximum Pressure". What is the max load for your tires?

At one time I owned a pick up with a heavy camper. Without the camper I would run the tires at 55 PSI. When I put the heavy camper on I would run them at 80 PSI, max rating, because of the load. If a tire is under inflated for the load heat problems occur and could result in tire damage or blowout. Ride would be very smooth at that rate (80) with the camper on but very rough without if I forgot to reduce the pressure after taking the camper off. Tires need to be appropriately inflated for the load.

A few lbs. over 32 probably would not hurt but benefits would be very minimal. If you use 44 PSI without approaching max weight rating you will create problems. Excessive wear in middle of tire tread, reduced traction, and possible safety/handling problems IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts