Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 2018 advance and will have it next week. I drive 30-35,000 miles a year and the dealership has told me they will switch out the 20” wheels on my car for a set of the 18” wheels from another mdx. They tell me the 20’s last 50k but I have my doubts. 90% of my driving is highway and I am good about monitoring tire pressure as well as rotating the tires every 5000 Miles or so.

Does anybody have any advice or can anyone tell me their personal experience on tire life with these vehicles? Never had an Acura before and looking forward to it! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The factory Continental tires are awful. With the miles you drive, plan on replacing those within the year. Good news is you can then pick a decent tire to meet your needs.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Is your adv sh-awd? I put a lot less mileage per year at around 20-22,000 per on my 11 MDX. I get a little more wear on the rears because of sh-awd compared to just fwd (Conti DWS 06 20"). I got into the habit of rotating and then cross rotating every oil change to help keep it straight in my head. I purchased the tires at Discount Tires and they have a lifetime rotation, balance, and flat repair. You could also add a full size spare with the same type of tires and do a 5 tire rotation (rotate clockwise or counter clockwise every oil change with the full size spare).

The issue I run into is you start to loose wet and snow traction with any tires is once you get to the 30-35,000 mile mark on a 50,000 mile tire. You might get all year and 50,000-60,000 miles with a 5 tire rotation depending on the type of tires.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The factory Continental tires are awful. With the miles you drive, plan on replacing those within the year.
I disagree based on my experience. The OEM Continentals were fine on my 2014 MDX. I replaced them at around 43K miles and went with Michelin Premier for the replacement. They're both fine.

According to the research I did you can't find a tire that 'some' people won't say is a terrible tire that they got hardly any mileage out of. When I read a post from someone who says they only got 22K on tires like the Continentals or Michelins I discount what they say since it's either hogwash or they never rotated their tires and kept them under-inflated and/or had alignment or tire balance issues. I'm not referring to anyone on this thread but rather, what I've read on other threads here and especially in various forums for any tire one is looking at.

The bottom line - I don't think there's anything that special about the MDX regarding tires - they'll last about the same on it as on most similar vehicles. The key difference between vehicles is whether the wheels are reasonably aligned. I haven't needed to have an alignment on my > 5 y/o MDX and it still tracks straight and the tires wore evenly between all the tires and across each tire.

I'd be skeptical of any 50K mile promise unless they're willing to back it up with a free replacement warranty (they won't). As posted above, once a tire gets to a certain wear point it may work reasonably okay on dry pavement but would be dangerous on wet and snow. Just plan that you'll likely be replacing the tires anywhere between 35K-55K depending on your driving conditions and preferences (willing to go down to 1/32 vs only down to 3/32 for example).

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I disagree based on my experience. The OEM Continentals were fine on my 2014 MDX. I replaced them at around 43K miles and went with Michelin Premier for the replacement. They're both fine.
There's currently a thread on the "other" MDX forum also complaining about how terrible the OEM Continentals are, too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Technically, I think that you'd be able to eek out 50k miles on the tires with the 20" wheels, especially if 90% of your driving is on the highway and you keep up on the maintenance. But if you don't care for that wheel size, the 18's should last longer.

Here are a few threads that discuss tire wear on this generation MDX.
https://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/146674-about-how-many-miles-does-continental-tires-last.html
https://www.mdxers.org/forums/95-tires/153329-2014-mdx-needs-new-tires.html

The factory Continental tires are awful. With the miles you drive, plan on replacing those within the year. Good news is you can then pick a decent tire to meet your needs.
Personally I didn't find the factory Continentals to be awful. I wouldn't say they were exceptional at anything either. I thought that they did fine in pretty much all areas, though I would have preferred that they lasted a bit longer. I'd say that the Continentals are actually decent, but I also believe that there are better tires out there for the money.

If you want to hear about awful tires, look up reviews for the Goodyear Integrity, which was standard equipment on the first generation Honda Pilots.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
how terrible the OEM Continentals are
I usually stick with just this forum although occasionally I do a little lurking on that other one. When I first joined this one I looked for the one that seemed most active at the time and it was this one.

The term 'terrible' doesn't describe anything in particular. What exactly is it about the Continentals to lead you (or others) to conclude they're 'terrible', which IMO would mean substantially worse than most other tire brands? Is it the handling, the lifetime, the wear pattern, susceptibility to flats, tread separation ala Firestones of long ago, blowouts, balance issues?

The Continentals on my 2014 MDX were the first Continentals I've owned and that was only through default since it's what came on the vehicle. In the 4.5 years and 43K miles they were on the vehicle I experienced no flats at all, an even wear pattern across the face of all tires, and a lifetime in the ballpark range of what I expected to get out of them (of course it would've been nice to get to the 50K milestone value). They also rode smoothly and handled well and remained balanced throughout the lifetime of them. When I drove in rain with them, which isn't nearly as often as some people drive in rain although it did include some deluges in other parts of the country with it, they handled fine and with some confidence. I didn't drive them in snow.

I ended up replacing them with Michelin Premiers since the Premier and the Defender were fairly readily available at Costco and Discount Tire (I ended up going to Discount) and the Continentals were not and I've had prior good experiences with Michelin. The funny this is, if you start digging into forums almost any tire, including the Michelin models, they will have some of the same bad reviews as any other tire with some indicating they're objectively fine and others labeling them awful. This is why I don't put much credence in subjective generalizations such as 'terrible' and when I see something like that posted I like to see the objective reason why the person reached the conclusion - the objective data can be useful.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The term 'terrible' doesn't describe anything in particular. What exactly is it about the Continentals to lead you (or others) to conclude they're 'terrible', which IMO would mean substantially worse than most other tire brands? Is it the handling, the lifetime, the wear pattern, susceptibility to flats, tread separation ala Firestones of long ago, blowouts, balance issues?
My issues with the OEM Continentals are:

Poor tread life (A reason to never buy these tires)
Uneven wear (I have to rotate twice as often as Acura says is normal -- a frustration, at least)
Difficult to balance (More the dealers problem)
Less than ideal handling (wandering) (My #1 reason why I'm considering replacing them early)

The funny this is, if you start digging into forums almost any tire, including the Michelin models, they will have some of the same bad reviews as any other tire with some indicating they're objectively fine and others labeling them awful. This is why I don't put much credence in subjective generalizations such as 'terrible' and when I see something like that posted I like to see the objective reason why the person reached the conclusion - the objective data can be useful.
I went to Tire Rack and filtered tires that fit my MDX, excluding winter tires, and sorted by consumer rating. The Michelin LTX was ranked #2. The Continental Crosscontact LX Sport was ranked #15. It wasn't even on the first page of results!

Add on to that an abysmal "would you recommend" rating. Clearly I'm not the only one that feels that the Michelin are better than the Continental. I'm also not the only one who thinks the Continentals suck.

Reactions: RC8181

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Poor tread life (A reason to never buy these tires)
Uneven wear (I have to rotate twice as often as Acura says is normal -- a frustration, at least)
Difficult to balance (More the dealers problem)
Less than ideal handling (wandering) (My #1 reason why I'm considering replacing them early)
It's strange that you and I had such different experiences with the tires. I have a sample size of '1' regarding direct experience with the Continentals, the ones that were on my MDX placed there by the factory, and they didn't exhibit any of those issues you stated. My tire rotation interval wasn't the ideal since I only rotated them when I did an oil change, so usually about 6500-8500 miles or so. One possible difference is that many of the miles on mine were from multiple coast to coast and back trips - i.e. a lot of highway miles. I also don't play games with the pressure fwiw - I set it to the factory spec of 35psi cold.

I read the Tire Rack reviews before - that's one of the locations where there are 'some' people who'll say all the same negative things regarding the Michelins that 'some' will say about the Continentals - or just about any other tires. I don't put much credence in many of those reviews, but I read them nonetheless looking for objective details, which were difficult to find.

I can't offer a conclusion on the treadwear lifetime of the Michelin Premier tires I replaced the Continentals with yet but I can say that they started out with less tread than many other tires so I don't necessarily expect to get any more miles out of them than the Continentals but we'll see. As an fyi - the Michelin Premier starts out with 8/32 of tread whereas the Continentals start out at 10/32 I think. Hopefully their compound will make up for the difference.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It's strange that you and I had such different experiences with the tires. I have a sample size of '1' regarding direct experience with the Continentals, the ones that were on my MDX placed there by the factory, and they didn't exhibit any of those issues you stated. My tire rotation interval wasn't the ideal since I only rotated them when I did an oil change, so usually about 6500-8500 miles or so. One possible difference is that many of the miles on mine were from multiple coast to coast and back trips - i.e. a lot of highway miles. I also don't play games with the pressure fwiw - I set it to the factory spec of 35psi cold.
I also do 35 psi cold. I ride motorcycles, so I'm acutely aware of how tire pressure affects handling, and also how much of a safety concern it can be. I have an air compressor, and I stay on top of my pressures.

This MDX is my only experience with this particular model/size... But I've had previous experiences with Continental tires as OE on other vehicles, and I've never cared for them, as a brand.

Take it with a grain of salt, but my Acura dealer has acknowledged that I am not the first to have a terrible experience with the Continental tires. We speculate the issue is likely inconsistent quality between runs of tires coupled with different end users expectations and demands. I'm picky, we know, but I think many Acura drivers -- especially MDX drivers -- are less discerning.

I read the Tire Rack reviews before - that's one of the locations where there are 'some' people who'll say all the same negative things regarding the Michelins that 'some' will say about the Continentals - or just about any other tires. I don't put much credence in many of those reviews, but I read them nonetheless looking for objective details, which were difficult to find.
You'll find good and bad reviews for almost any product. I think you have to "throw out" reviews on both ends of the spectrum... But you can still see trends and especially on a site like TireRack where you have a large sample size, you can do relative comparisons between two products. There is a large divide between the Michellin reviews and the Continental reviews.

I can't offer a conclusion on the treadwear lifetime of the Michelin Premier tires I replaced the Continentals with yet but I can say that they started out with less tread than many other tires so I don't necessarily expect to get any more miles out of them than the Continentals but we'll see. As an fyi - the Michelin Premier starts out with 8/32 of tread whereas the Continentals start out at 10/32 I think. Hopefully their compound will make up for the difference.
As you pointed out, rubber composition plays a significant role in wear rates -- so the 8/32 vs 10/32 starting tread depth is not a concern, to me. That said, tread life is the least of the concerns I listed. If the Continentals would wear evenly, and handle properly then I wouldn't complain. The wandering is exceptionally frustrating.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Continental makes good tires. Just because Acura chose cheapest available model doesn't mean the brand is bad. I had Continentals on my Gold R and they've performed very good. Not exact same model but...

As far as what we have on MDX, I agree it is less than adequate performance wise (I only care about performance when it comes to tire). The other day I almost crashed taking an onramp in semi-wet conditions. Thanks God for my good driving skills I was able to avoid collision with the vehicle next to me. If we decide to keep this vehicle after the lease I don't think I'll be buying this particular tire model again. So far Michelin is my long trusted and favorite brand.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This MDX is my only experience with this particular model/size... But I've had previous experiences with Continental tires as OE on other vehicles, and I've never cared for them, as a brand.

Take it with a grain of salt, but my Acura dealer has acknowledged that I am not the first to have a terrible experience with the Continental tires. We speculate the issue is likely inconsistent quality between runs of tires coupled with different end users expectations and demands. I'm picky, we know, but I think many Acura drivers -- especially MDX drivers -- are less discerning.
Continental makes good tires. Just because Acura chose cheapest available model doesn't mean the brand is bad. I had Continentals on my Gold R and they've performed very good. Not exact same model but...
Keep in mind that the OEM tires for most non-specialty vehicles tend to fall towards the lower end of the spectrum. If they excel in any one area, it'll probably be low rolling resistance. Anytime I drive a car equipped with the original tires, I don't have any high expectations of them. While I may not be quite as picky as some here when it comes to how my tires perform, I would say I am more in tune with how they are performing when compared to the average MDX driver.

Two different cars I've owned came with OEM Michelins, each with a different model. One set was meh, and the other set I was more than happy with their overall performance. I wasn't overly impressed with the OEM Continentals on the MDX, but was satisfied for the most part.

In comparing the Michelin and Continental brands, I think both are quite good. In general I would say that Michelin tends to be better than Continental. Michelin's quality control appears to be best in the industry, resulting in a more consistent product. However they also tend to be more expensive, so you kind of get what you pay for. Both offer models that are highly rated, but at the same time also have tires that aren't quite stellar either. I have no issue purchasing either brand as long as the individual model I'm buying has what I'm looking for.

As far as what we have on MDX, I agree it is less than adequate performance wise (I only care about performance when it comes to tire). The other day I almost crashed taking an onramp in semi-wet conditions. Thanks God for my good driving skills I was able to avoid collision with the vehicle next to me. If we decide to keep this vehicle after the lease I don't think I'll be buying this particular tire model again. So far Michelin is my long trusted and favorite brand.
No matter what car I'm driving, when it comes to wet on-ramps, off-ramps and intersections I always take extra care treading through them. Vehicles, especially trucks, drive through these areas more slowly, resulting in more lubricants, fluids and other substances dropping and collecting on the road surface. Once the rain hits, the water pushes these deposits to the top and spreads them out. So it's not the really water I'm worried about, but instead the other stuff mixed in that makes things a bit slick.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Keep in mind that the OEM tires for most non-specialty vehicles tend to fall towards the lower end of the spectrum. If they excel in any one area, it'll probably be low rolling resistance. Anytime I drive a car equipped with the original tires, I don't have any high expectations of them. While I may not be quite as picky as some here when it comes to how my tires perform, I would say I am more in tune with how they are performing when compared to the average MDX driver.

Two different cars I've owned came with OEM Michelins, each with a different model. One set was meh, and the other set I was more than happy with their overall performance. I wasn't overly impressed with the OEM Continentals on the MDX, but was satisfied for the most part.

In comparing the Michelin and Continental brands, I think both are quite good. In general I would say that Michelin tends to be better than Continental. Michelin's quality control appears to be best in the industry, resulting in a more consistent product. However they also tend to be more expensive, so you kind of get what you pay for. Both offer models that are highly rated, but at the same time also have tires that aren't quite stellar either. I have no issue purchasing either brand as long as the individual model I'm buying has what I'm looking for.

No matter what car I'm driving, when it comes to wet on-ramps, off-ramps and intersections I always take extra care treading through them. Vehicles, especially trucks, drive through these areas more slowly, resulting in more lubricants, fluids and other substances dropping and collecting on the road surface. Once the rain hits, the water pushes these deposits to the top and spreads them out. So it's not the really water I'm worried about, but instead the other stuff mixed in that makes things a bit slick.
I've been behind the wheel long enough to know that semi-wet conditions are probably one of the most dangerous conditions. I've taken that onramp for 100's maybe 1000's of times in different conditions, even at slower speeds without ever having an issue. This time it was different, I was all over the place while BMW X5 to the right of me (two lane onramp) took that same turn without an issue and faster too. Later on I took my 18 MDX to some familiar back roads and I can tell one thing, these tires left me disappointed. While I will most definitely not put Michelin PS4S on this car (love them on my Golf R) I will look into some other, more capable all season tire and most probably in the Michelin family.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've been behind the wheel long enough to know that semi-wet conditions are probably one of the most dangerous conditions. I've taken that onramp for 100's maybe 1000's of times in different conditions, even at slower speeds without ever having an issue. This time it was different, I was all over the place while BMW X5 to the right of me (two lane onramp) took that same turn without an issue and faster too. Later on I took my 18 MDX to some familiar back roads and I can tell one thing, these tires left me disappointed. While I will most definitely not put Michelin PS4S on this car (love them on my Golf R) I will look into some other, more capable all season tire and most probably in the Michelin family.
Reminds me of when we got the wife's new '04 Pilot EX-L. She was happy as could be until the first time it rained, when she threw the keys at me and said "fix this". Pilot came with (ahem) Goodyear Integrity tires - which are potentially the worst tires ever made. I replaced them with a set of Michelin LTX tires and it was like a completely different vehicle. First time I ever replaced tires while they still had the nubbies on them.

I'm OK with the OEM Conti's on my '17 MDX, since I run snows in the winter. But when it comes time to replacement it will definitely be something different, likely Michelin....

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
just thought it was odd to have such different symptomology than one day earlier
I did that once on a different SUV. I bought BFGs at Costco and just didn't like them within the first 30 miles or so. I ended up at Discount Tire ready to take a major hit on the tires but they gave me full credit on them, i.e. what I paid Costco for them, and replaced them with Michelins (LTX) for just the difference in cost between the credit and what they normally sell the Michelins for, which was a good price. I was very happy with them - both the tires and with Discount Tire. My tire purchases that have followed those have all been at Discount so in the end they did well for themselves and we're both happy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Continental on 2016

I'm replacing the OEM Continentals tomorrow. They were good tires except for the 36K tread life. They worked well in the rain, were smooth, wore evenly, and handled fine for how we use the car. It's my wife's car and spends most of its time in town hauling groceries, kids to school, and kids to baseball with a few trips out of state to grandmas. Our old Odyssey got 45-50K on each of 3 sets of tires. Michelins, Bridgestones, and Hankooks. The only reason I'm skipping the Conti's is the mileage and cost. 36K and they are at 2/32, evenly worn. They were rotated at each oil change and aligned once as part of the transmission replacement. I'd buy them again except they are the most expensive tire at the tire shop.

The tire shop has recommended the Defender over the Premier because of thier experience of poor wear on the Premiers. They say most don’t make it to 30K. There is a 60K warranty, but even with the warranty, at 30K those are some expensive shoes. To me the Defender is a truck tire not a minivan tire (or is that SUV :)). They have the Conti, the new BFG Advantage Sport LT, Cooper H/T (gets decent reviews), and Pirrelli Scorpions. It doesn't seem that any of them are particularly long lasting.

I have about 11 hours to decide. I might just flip a coin.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm replacing the OEM Continentals tomorrow. They were good tires except for the 36K tread life. They worked well in the rain, were smooth, wore evenly, and handled fine for how we use the car. It's my wife's car and spends most of its time in town hauling groceries, kids to school, and kids to baseball with a few trips out of state to grandmas. Our old Odyssey got 45-50K on each of 3 sets of tires. Michelins, Bridgestones, and Hankooks. The only reason I'm skipping the Conti's is the mileage and cost. 36K and they are at 2/32, evenly worn. They were rotated at each oil change and aligned once as part of the transmission replacement. I'd buy them again except they are the most expensive tire at the tire shop.

The tire shop has recommended the Defender over the Premier because of thier experience of poor wear on the Premiers. They say most don’t make it to 30K. There is a 60K warranty, but even with the warranty, at 30K those are some expensive shoes. To me the Defender is a truck tire not a minivan tire (or is that SUV :)). They have the Conti, the new BFG Advantage Sport LT, Cooper H/T (gets decent reviews), and Pirrelli Scorpions. It doesn't seem that any of them are particularly long lasting.

I've got the Defender LTX and I'd recommend them, especially if you're looking for something with a longer tread life. While I don't know if their tread life is any worse than the prior models Michelin offered, I'd bet that it would be better than most other comparable tires on the market.

Here's my initial review of them:
https://www.mdxers.org/forums/1346258-post9.html

I heard that tires in Florida on average just seem to wear out more quickly than in other parts of the country. I thought it had to do with the combination of the heat plus the types of roads out there. So if you're looking for longer wearing tires, the Defender LTX should be somewhere near the top of your list. I know the Michelins tend to be priced higher than competing brands, so if price is a big factor see if there are any rebates or holiday discounts you can take advantage of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Coin flip said Premier LTX

Coin flip said Premier. They’re awesome. I was happy with the Contis (except for poor treadlife), but the Premier is in another league. Very smooth and very much quieter. Road noise for both is fine, but the Contis made noise when hitting expansion cracks and small patches. The Premiers are far quieter over smaller imperfections. They are also much softer over these small bumps. It’s just a better ride. The tire store promises Michelin will back the treadwear warranty. He said they've warrantied many sets and to expect about 28-30 K out of these. I’m ok with that in exchange the amazingly better ride.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ I did the same nickle toss you did but didn't flip it 3 times. The tossup was between Michelin Premier and Michelin Defender. I ended up with the Premier on the theory that it was the most similar to the Michelin Latitude that was OEM on the 2014 MDX (along with the Contis - mine had the Contis) - i.e. I prioritized handling and a few other attributes over primarily tread life. I think the Defenders would have been a fine pick as well.

As you stated, time will tell how long the Premiers last overall and how long they remain a decent tire as the tread wears. According to Michelin marketing the Premiers are supposed to retain good wet road handling even when the tread is worn a fair amount. I'll probably post back on this forum in a few years with a report on how long they lasted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 30,000 miles on the OEM Continentals on my 2017 MDX Hybrid and they still have 6/32 tread. I imagine they will need replacement at 35 to 40 K miles. They have been quiet, handle well, I rotate and balance every 5000 miles at Discount Tire. I have yet to find a replacement tire that is markedly better but am looking. I find that in the literally hundreds of reviews I have read everyone finds fault with something. All off the available Michelin's in 20" seem to have poor treadlife.
I have DWS06 on my Audi A6 and they too last only about 40,000 but are great tires for that car.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts