Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be a good idea to start a froum about tricks and tips youve learned over time detailing cars.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
1) Start BEFORE popping open that first beer!

2) If you are over 40 beware, there will come a time when you will have to think about standing up again when kneeling to do those wheels.

3) If married, never, never use house towels for anything on the car.

4) Make sure to disconnect that high voltage wire on the wheels before starting. The one you put there to keep the dog from thinking he's at a fire hydrant?

5) Even the MDX can wait until the game is over on a Sunday. The couch and TV rule.

...uh, somehow..I don't think these are the tips you had in mind....

·
Registered
285 Posts
DaleB said:

3) If married, never, never use house towels for anything on the car.
had the exact discussion with my dear wife over the weekend when we zaino-ed our mdx... ended up using those small terry cotton towels from sam's club for everything (they came in with 36 towels in a pack, going to last for a while)... haven't noticed any swirl marks or scratches so far...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Jj_mdx:

___I was just having this conversation with my wife when we were at the Sam’s Club on Sunday. She said, “no way are you going to use the nice Cannon? towels on the cars”. I was considering the 36 pack but held off. After unloading the groceries and my wife, I went back to the local Wal-Mart and picked up the 12 pack of 100% Cotton Terry pre-washed (Made in Pakistan :() 17x14 car towels. I RainX’ed the Corolla’s windows with them and they worked fine …

___Moral of the story, you had better ask first or the bed you will sleep in is the one where the dog usually resides ;)

___Lastly, how did you get your wife out there to help Zaino the X anyway? Now that would earn the “Tips and tricks” of the month award :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
tips and tricks

One of the most important thing that I learned to have is the Absorber. This is a man made chamois that is excellent for a clearcoat painted car.

After using a fine shampoo for your vehicle to loosen the dirt and grime and then water it down(I recommend running the water via a hose and let the water cascade and wash the suds off rather than using a high pressure water gun to spray the suds off) Once that is thoroughly done take the absorber and drap it over the surface of your paint and drag it towards you. This will collect the wated MUCH faster and will not leave water spots or streaks.

This process also will well prepare your paint surface for waxing or detailing....More later...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi DaleB:

___Since this was my first time, I was very careful to avoid getting any on the cars body finish and any plastic. I first used Windex and the Sunday Chicago Tribune’s “Arts and Entertainment” (my wife’s favorite) section to clean the windows to a showroom spotless condition. I squirted a small X of RainX on one of the new towels and than used a Wax On/Wax Off motion over ½ the front windshield, reapply to the towel, other half of the front windshield, reapply, F&R side windows, reapply ... I waited for ~ half an hour for the Haze to appear and than reapplied the RainX. I than used another new towel to buff the windows to their current state. About an hour later I rebuffed just to make sure … Now I am just waiting for the rain to see if I did it right!

___FireBlade6, have you tried a leaf blower yet? I can promise you it works very well indeed.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Egyptian cotton

I use whit 100% Egyptian cotton towels, made in the USA. They are very soft and I have yet to see any swirl marks. The problem is that I have to keep them from my wife; she wants them for herself instead of the MDX. I found them at my local Target store. Only the best for the ‘X.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Lfgasnrg:

___Thanks for the “Made in USA” towel tip. The Target near us is right across the street from the Wal-Mart which is next to the Sam Club which is just down the road from our home … When its time for my first Zaino application, I will head on over there to see what they have in stock.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
xcel said:
Hi DaleB:

___FireBlade6, have you tried a leaf blower yet? I can promise you it works very well indeed.

Xcel-
I have not used a leaf blower yet but theoretically it may work however, I have questions in regards to the type of leaf blower it is. If it is an electric, then I don't see any problems in it but if it is a gas driven one, I would like to stay away from it simply because the air coming from the gas driven blower will also blower out evaporated two cycle gas mixture that can damage the paint.

I have an air compressor at home where I use it to blow water our of crevices such as the mirrors and engine compartment and such.
...More later.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: Egyptian cotton

lfgasnrg said:
I use whit 100% Egyptian cotton towels, made in the USA. They are very soft and I have yet to see any swirl marks. The problem is that I have to keep them from my wife; she wants them for herself instead of the MDX. I found them at my local Target store. Only the best for the ‘X.
Ifgasnrg-
is correct on this, if you do not use a 100% cotton towel for such thing as detail and waxing, you may damage your paint surface because certain "cotton"towel is not fully cotton and cotton produced in the USA. Cotton crops produced in the U.S. do NOT use DYE or chemicals to treat their cotton. Rather it is spun and woven into the towels. Using these types of true 100% cotton towels is excellent for waxing and sometimes even drying. I guess am VERY particular about my paint surface of my vehicle.

For buffing off waxes or polish agents I use microfibre towels made from 100% natural cotton.

·
Registered
285 Posts
xcel said:
Hi Jj_mdx:

___Lastly, how did you get your wife out there to help Zaino the X anyway? Now that would earn the “Tips and tricks” of the month award :D
well, i kept telling her the great success stories people have been talking about here on this board, and most importantly, how easy it should be to 'wax' the mdx with zaino... and after 4 months' of re-education;) she finally got so tempted trying to put a coat on herself... i consider myself a job well done...:2:

still no luck on using the good - big - made-in-USA cotton towels yet... but will keep working on that front...:3:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Re: tips and tricks

Fireblade6 said:
One of the most important thing that I learned to have is the Absorber. This is a man made chamois that is excellent for a clearcoat painted car....
I have been using the absorber for a couple years & it's great :4:

I use the absorber to remove the excess water that has beaded from the wash & immediately wipe of the same area with the Cannon 100% bath towel. This works great in ensuring that all water spots are removed.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Pull the nozzle off the hose and use full-flow water for final rinse (about 2" from the surface). The water will sheet off, leaving just a few beads. You can dry w/just one towel that way.

Always buy some colored Charisma Select towels for the wife when ordering the whites for the MDX :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
vinegar - vinegar - vinegar

you guys (and gals) have larger vehicles, and if you dont get the water off fast enough, you are going to get water spots. if you are not using a detail spray that removes them, and your shine product doesnt do the trick . . and you have the dreaded water spots . .

a nice soft cotton cloth, a little white vinegar, a wipe or two and a quick rinse with a water spray bottle to remove all residue - and wham - they should all be gone. Unless, you have special spots that require more severe treatment . . .

its simple, quick and cheap - and works without paint damage . .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts