Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello - first post here. I've followed the boards for a few months both prior to and after I ordered our MDX, and have found the information provided on this site quite valuable. Thanks to all of you who post such helpful info, and to Ghost for getting me to register.;)

wckrause - We also ordered our MDX from Beurkle Acura. MSRP, no forced options. Very impressed with the dealership so far. They didn't give me much hope for a good trade-in value, but I wasn't too surprised.

Regarding the navigation system, I originally decided against it, but I'm having second thoughts and may add it. Being a life-long Minnesotan with infrequent trips out-of-state, I figured I knew my way around and didn't need the maps. And like you, I wasn't impressed with their accuracy during my test drives. But after reading many, many posts on this forum over the past few months, I've come to realize its value beyond just the maps. Phone numbers, specific addresses, etc. would probably help me out, especially since I would rather drive around lost for 30 minutes than ask someone for directions. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
:) Cannot praise Tim at Hondacuraworld.com enough. He has the type of dealership that Should represent a car as nice as the Acura. He actually wants your business- not just takes your order. What a strange way to sell Acura's or accessories. Get a model you want without any accessories and contact Tim for thee add ons.
Great place to deal with.

·
Registered
679 Posts
wckrause said:
I just got an email from another dealer that he has a black on black w/touring available next month. I'll have to pass on the black color.
I think I've just been insulted :p IMO, black is by far the best color for the MDX, with silver and red tied for 2nd place. Of course an MDX in any color looks great, just not quite as great as Nighthawk Black Pearl :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nav is Dinosaur of the future....

Okay, I have to devils advocate....

For those of you trying to decide on a Navication system, please think back to the cell phones that they used to hardwire into your car. They were inflexible and quickly obsolete in favor of the portable phones you could take with you anywhere.

The same is gonna happen with built in Nav systems. A $2K system that can only be used when you are in your car just doesn't make sense when you can get a portable system that does all the same things...including phone numbers and addresses...for $500. And, you can take it with you to a different vehicle, or boat or even on foot. And, these portable systems are much easier to upgrade for additional capability later on. Not something that will probably happen with the built in system.

I think that as the portable units get better and cheaper, the built in units will be much less desireable...and these early units will be absolute dinosaurs. There are much better ways to spend $2K.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Analogy Comes up Short

With due respect to the foregoing post, the nav is a completely different animal than a cell phone. Unlike a cell phone, a navigation system, when integrated into a car, is orders of magnitude more functional, aesthetic, and fun (e.g., touches like sensing what direction the car is pointing in, muting the stereo to announce directions, and gyroscopic dead-reckoning, are all possible only with an integrated nav system) than a standalone unit.

A cell phone on the other hand derives much of its utility from its portability and loses little functionality in a hand-held version (given advances in battery power, signal strength., etc.)

Bottom line: a cell phone is more useful when it's not attached to car, a nav system is more useful when it is attached to a car.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have to agree with Mdxepecting. Cell Phones are not the same as Navigation systems. I found that the navigation system in the MDX is extremely useful and worth all the $2000.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ooh....gotta go with merrillcrosbie on this one...

B]For those of you trying to decide on a Navication system, please think back to the cell phones that they used to hardwire into your car. They were inflexible and quickly obsolete in favor of the portable phones you could take with you anywhere. [/B]
It's a fact -- this current generation of Nav will be gone so quick, you'd better not blink..... next will be voice command of mapping/information (you telling the unit what you want) -- and then there will be much better integration of the other systems including voice control for heating/cooling, lights, audio, etc.... this stuff is already here, and will be in cars darned quick.

Here's my take on the situation....
If you're LEASING, the NAV is a reasonable thing to consider. This is simply because you're not swallowing that big $2K pill in its entirety.... but only paying for the depreciating part that you use (~$800 for 3 years). That's probably reasonable IMO, for someone who actually NEEDS the nav. But, the person BUYING the MDX with nav is taking a much bigger hit 4 years down the road, for sure. By then, new tech will have left today's in the dust.

merrillcrosbie is also correct that the handheld units are pretty spiffy, a lot more flexible for applications, and way cheaper. Combined with a basic, used laptop computer with TFT display, you can easily put together a killer navigation system with much more capability than the MDX nav, including having a fully functional roadgoing computer for communication/entertainment and general computing. Naturally, using a laptop for navigating isn't nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the built-in display, but for the infrequent times that most people REALLY need navigating help, it works just fine -- with the added benefit of having superior mapping coverage and more up-to-date information.

Nav is fun -- but for most people, it's simply an expensive amusement. Sure, some people may really use it frequently if their business takes them to new places constantly -- but I'm guessing that's a very small segment of MDX'ers....

If you don't need it -- don't get it -- unless it's a lease and your corporation is gonna pay for it ;^}

·
Registered
715 Posts
Nav system? Ha! I know my way around Dallas. And, besides, I am armed with a ton of maps. Nothing can stop me from my appointed rounds.....

It's 7:00pm. Pitch black outside. I am late for an appointment. Didn't have a clue where this country club was exactly (Bent Tree) except it was in North Dallas. Got directions from the club via cell phone, but they couldn't give them to me from where I was coming. And besides, traffic was a nightmare. Big dualie off road 4X4s with 15 foot diameter tires hounding my tail, ready to demolition derby my MDX if I slowed down.

Did I pull off the side of the road at risk of life and limb to turn on my map light, whip out my Burger King encrusted Exxon maps and try and figure out where I was going?

Or did I calmly hit a few buttons on my NAV system to guide me safely thru the maze of Bent Tree estate?

I thought it was more for out of town use and a plaything for in town.....but that night my NAV system made a $2000 believer out of me!:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here is my most recent experience. Going to a party with written directions. We were in the country going to a new house that was not in the map system. It was dark and raining and we couldn't read the street signs. I thought the Nav system would be no help but guess what? I was wrong. As my wife drove, I punched the map button on the Nav system and zoomed in all the way. I could see every street name as we were approaching and was able to tell my wife when she was about to reach the next turn even though we were in a driving rainstorm. We have had the MDX almost a month and we use the Nav system 3 - 5 times a week and haven't even left town!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I originally didn't plan on getting the NAV, but at several times a month, I am printing out absurd directions from MapQuest when trying to figure out how to get somewhere. Those directions, combined with a regular map, can get you easily lost. Say nothing about trying to navigate, sometimes in the dark, reading directions, while driving (ie - not safe). I agree that the technology will change rapidly, but I think it's worth the price.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My parents just bought a vehicle and put an aftermarket Alpine GPS in it. One thing that I found really great about it is if you are in grid-loc traffic and you need an alternate route. Just press a button and the system recalculates a route for you.

Does anyone know if the Acura comes with this also?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yup

Just hit the detour button and it reroutes you around traffic/collisions/etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
mdx purchase

As a salesman for Acura you can maybe get 500 off but that depends on the timing and vechicle allocation. You can try to get accessories at cost at the time before you order. We want to sell you the car as bad as you want to buy it. good luck

Tony Bellomio
Tallahassee,FL

·
Registered
715 Posts
The Ody has a year up the X and also is STILL going for MSRP in many part of the country. When you're hot, you're hot!:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
You might be upset paying retail but it is a very good thing when you look at from resale value . Saturn has a higher resale than other gm car because everyone pays the same price. If the 02 MDX sell for MSRP then your 01 won't be that much less. However if we sold an 02 MDX for a 2500 discount than what's your 01 worth?? Less than the 2500 plus depreciation. So smile it will end up costing much less than most any SUV out there.

Tony Bellomio
Proctor Acura

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
LUCKY to Pay Full MSRP !!

Tony,

We just purchased an 02 MDX and paid MSRP. While I was willing to do this, I have not viewed this as "a great opportunity".

At some point, the MDX will no longer command full window and then the values on all [including mine] will adjust accordingly.

You suggest that "paying retail ... is a very good thing"; however, I DO NOT agree -- then again, I don't work for an Acura dealer. I did what I did because I made a choice; however, I don't think that the OPPORTUNITY was one that showed how competent I am at fiduciary management.

·
Registered
26 Posts
okay I am sorry maybe you should have got a great deep discount on a ford explorer. or expedition or tahoe then wait til the end of the year when they give the dealer a 3000 to 5000 rebate then you should try to resell it or better yet trade it in. I 'd take msrp all day long on an MDX> BY the way we just wholesale 01 mdx touring with16 k miles to a dealer up north for
34k that 3500 depreciation in 14 months thats 250 a month. So if i could lease you a mdx for 250 a month do you think that would be a good opportunity????

·
Registered
715 Posts
srpbep, ya gotta get over this hangup about MSRP. The antidote is something called "supply and demand." No one is forcing you to pay sticker now. Maybe if you waited a year or two you will get a "discount" and feel better.

Then again, if you are like me, who THOUGHT about waiting for Ody prices to come back to normal, yet decided to go with a 2000 Ody, you say to yourself, "what a good investment decision!"

Odys are STILL going for MSRP+ and I have had 1.5 years of owner enjoyment, to say nothing about the resale value of the vehicle, which is oh, just a wee bit higher than the Ford Explorer, as Tony so appropriately compared it to.

You have to consider TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP, NOT MSRP. TCO includes the purchase price, insurance, maintenance, and resale value. Honda and Acura consistently offer some of the lowest TCO in the industry.

Now, then, enjoy your MDX!

:D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
LUCKY to Pay MSRP !!

I think my reply was taken out of context:

(1) I don't regret buying the MDX.

(2) I don't resent having paid MSRP [I agree with Octavian that supply and demand drives the market].

(3) This is our 3rd Honda -- I am aware that Honda makes good vehicles and that they hold their value [e.g. both good for TCO].

Now that I have agreed with the above:

(1) I don't think that the opportunity to pay MSRP was a "special opportunity" [I suspect the dealers disagree], rather, it was simply a prerequisite to enter into the happy family of MDX owners at this point in its life.

(2) I do believe that MDX availability will increase at some point in the future [Honda is building a new plant] and this will effect the supply and demand equation [e.g. at some point in the furture, increased availability will have an effect upon sales price].

(3) I also believe that when 2 above becomes a reality, it will have an effect upon all owners [again, market forces at work].

Does that do it OK for you? We bought the MDX because we liked it and felt it worth the price. Not because we felt "lucky to pay MSRP". The dealers are loving it [and I can't blame them], they are the ones to feel lucky. Remember the Miata [MSRP or MSRP and then some], now look at the price. When the supply increases, those that are willing to wait are the ones to benefit.

We made our decision to buy an MDX, no regrets . Just can't look at it as "how lucky we were to pay MSRP"!!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts