Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have insights on tinting windows? Laws in NYC? Pricing? Benefits? Side effects?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know about NYC but in CA it's illegal to tint any glass to the side or in front of the driver. It has been my experience that if you don't tint them too dark, you won't attract attention from law enforcement. I paid $60 to tint the two fronts. I did it mainly for asthetics but it does cut down on glare.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've got my windows tinted with Forumula One 28% all around (including the windows which already had privacy glass cuz they were not dark enough for my taste). Combined with the privacy glass, this makes the rear windows pretty dark, but still light enough to see out easily. On the front windows, I would have liked it to be a little darker, but 28% is the limit for front windows in Florida. There is a website somewhere with a chart of all the state law percentages on it. In Florida, there is an exception in the law for off-road capable vehicles, or ssmething to that effect, with a very liberal definition, which means you can can pretty much paint the rear windows black on a pickup or SUV if you wanted to. Therefore, in states with higher percentage limits (of which I believe NY is one), you may want to read the actual statute to see if you can find an exception to the general rule. Make sure you get a tint with good UV protection and don't skimp on the installation cost, or it will come back to haunt you later when. A high quality tint with installation will run you about 200 bucks for all windows. Here's a pic of mine :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks GatorGreg.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
tinting

If you have a BLACK on EBONY..I dont recommend tinting the windows that is already tinted from the manufacturer.

Am planning to tint the drivers side and front passenger side the same resolution as what the manufacturer did on the rear windows. Gives it a nice solid look and helps with the glare.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Re: Tinting State Law Chart

MDXtrous said:
I found this chart on window tinting. It looks like NY has a pretty lax requirement.

http://www.supertint.com/IWFA_Tintlaws_USA.htm
That's the chart I was thinking of. Looks like in NY anything goes on the rear windows and hatch, but you're stuck with only 70% on the front windows. I guess that's better than nothing though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Re: tinting

Fireblade6 said:
If you have a BLACK on EBONY..I dont recommend tinting the windows that is already tinted from the manufacturer.

Am planning to tint the drivers side and front passenger side the same resolution as what the manufacturer did on the rear windows. Gives it a nice solid look and helps with the glare.
Be careful, according to jmk4300's post above, and confirmed in the chart that MEXtrous found, you can't (legally) put ANY tint on the front windows, which seems rather Draconian in a state as sunny as California. However, according to jmk4300 it looks like they aren't too strict on enforcement so long as you don't go too dark. BTW, why donn't you recommend tinting the rear windows on a Black on Ebony (which I have already had done)? It looks pretty good IMO and plus you don't have much choice if you want to achieve the maximum level of tinting allowed by law for the rear windows in most states. I guess you're saying you don't have to tint the rears to hide the black seats from outside as you would with a saddle interior? If your only goal is to obscure the seats from outside, I guess I would agree with you, but if you want good protection from glare and heat (which we get a lot of in Fla) you've gotta go darker than the factory privacy glass IMO.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here is my experience with tint;

I had 21% tint installed by one of the local aftermarket shops on the front two windows for about $60. I had it done for three reasons to: reduce heat from sun, aesthetics (it looked odd without it), and privacy.

I live in NY so the law says nothing under 70% light transmittal for the front windows. It is "illegal", but not enforced agressively. I have been side by side with police many times with no problems. I did get stopped once in eight months on a country road and paid a $60 fine, equiptment violation. The officer measured the light transmittal at 14 percent.

I was given the choice to remove the tint or pay the fine, obviously I paid the fine and will do so as long as I own the MDX since the benefit of the three reasons outweigh th cost of the fines.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: Re: tinting

GatorGreg said:
Be careful, according to jmk4300's post above, and confirmed in the chart that MEXtrous found, you can't (legally) put ANY tint on the front windows, which seems rather Draconian in a state as sunny as California. However, according to jmk4300 it looks like they aren't too strict on enforcement so long as you don't go too dark. BTW, why donn't you recommend tinting the rear windows on a Black on Ebony (which I have already had done)? It looks pretty good IMO and plus you don't have much choice if you want to achieve the maximum level of tinting allowed by law for the rear windows in most states. I guess you're saying you don't have to tint the rears to hide the black seats from outside as you would with a saddle interior? If your only goal is to obscure the seats from outside, I guess I would agree with you, but if you want good protection from glare and heat (which we get a lot of in Fla) you've gotta go darker than the factory privacy glass IMO.
GatorGreg-
Because the glass on the rear windows are died and cast to make the glass darker. I dont know what the price will be if you tint the rear windows and accidentally scratch the glass with the exacto blade and have to replace it. From what I understand in term of how the rear glass are processed. Aftermarket currently does not have a replacement and if you source them directly from ACura or Acura dealership..It can be a premium...Whereas the glass on the driver and passenger side is standard DOT glass from Honda and is relative available.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Re: Re: Re: tinting

Fireblade6 said:

GatorGreg-
Because the glass on the rear windows are died and cast to make the glass darker. I dont know what the price will be if you tint the rear windows and accidentally scratch the glass with the exacto blade and have to replace it. From what I understand in term of how the rear glass are processed. Aftermarket currently does not have a replacement and if you source them directly from ACura or Acura dealership..It can be a premium...Whereas the glass on the driver and passenger side is standard DOT glass from Honda and is relative available.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. All the more reason not to go to a cheap installer. The one I've used does "micro edges" or some such, and the tint is cut at the top within a couple of millimeters of the edge. Not sure about the edges on the side of the window cuz they are hidden.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know in Ohio, you must have 50% light transmission on the sides and rear, and 70% on the windshield. Most factory tinted glass allows from 65% to 80%, as I have measured with a tint meter.

Also, Ohio's law has a loophole- you can get a physician or optician to write a letter for you that your eyes are sensitive to light and the tinting is medically necessary. For those of you in other states, you might see if your state law has a similar loophole.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Did you know that in Arizona you can tint all your windows with the exception of the windshield to be LIMO TINT. at 20% light admittance.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
tinting in nyc or suburb

you can tint but can't go limo dark tint i believe you can go 15% tint not the limo 20% that will get you a ticket. when you go to your tinter, or business that does the tint he will explain the different levels of tint he will advise using the 15% it's a little lighter than the back windows. if you go 20% it will match the back tint but have the risk of tickets when go into different towns in new yoek some are tougher than others it's not worth the hassel just go with the 15%. also the 20% is very difficult to see out at nighttime makes it difficult to see the 15% evens reduces your site but much easier to see out. i have a black/ebony touring with nav and i wasn't going to tint but after seeing black suv's with tint i think it makes a much better looking suv it blends much better:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts