Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone just wanted to see if you guys were tinting all windows or just the front two. Is just the front two what % do you guys choose? Any tint their windshield yet?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello everyone just wanted to see if you guys were tinting all windows or just the front two. Is just the front two what % do you guys choose? Any tint their windshield yet?

I got all my windows tinted, front glass top part tinted . As car comes with black glass which do not block UV or heat. It may get too dark during night but depends how much u drive in night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Site Sponsor
320 Posts
35% is considered street legal in most states, however, we will typically go with 20% all-around and 50%+ on the windshield.

For a daily driver, I wouldn't go darker than 20% personally. I made the mistake of going with 10% on my Mustang and it's really tough to see out of at night.

Nick C.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm getting tint done this weekend probably doing 20 for the rears and 35 for the front two. Will it be hard to see out of it? Or should I do 35 all around?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I thought the factory stained glass did protect from heat and UV. Is that incorrect?

My front windows were tinted 20% and are a very close match to the factory glass.
it's a little hard to see out of at night, but i love it.

35% all around is conservative though

edit: just read up and there's no protection from the stained factory glass (damn it!). i'll be doing 20 on the rest of the windows just before summer

·
Site Sponsor
320 Posts
I'm getting tint done this weekend probably doing 20 for the rears and 35 for the front two. Will it be hard to see out of it? Or should I do 35 all around?
I would go 20% all around, or try to match the factory tint with the new tint on the front windows

Nick C.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is my tint on my 2017 Tech

I used it Nano Carbon 18% front driver and passenger side. 30% rear side and rear windshield over the privacy glass. 70% front windshield ant 5% sun roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here is my tint on my 2017 Tech

I used it Nano Carbon 18% front driver and passenger side. 30% rear side and rear windshield over the privacy glass. 70% front windshield ant 5% sun roof.
looks great! wow that 30% on top of the privacy really goes dark. makes me second guess going 20% over the privacy glass. any pics from the inside looking up out through the tinted sunroof glass?

did you also get your exhaust trims and window trims wrapped in gloss black?

·
Registered
17 Posts
looks great! wow that 30% on top of the privacy really goes dark. makes me second guess going 20% over the privacy glass. any pics from the inside looking up out through the tinted sunroof glass?

Exhaust trimmed in carbon fiber vinyl. BUT I will need to redo it as the heat build up from the exhaust, the vinyl tends to melt.
So I need to find another solution or maybe paint it black. Window trim are matte black. I also finished up wrapping the other visible chrome. Will post pic soon as well.

I will post pic from inside looking out on the back passengers side tint and sunroof as well.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i just need UV protection on mine which i am still looking around for the best kind and reasonably priced.

yes. the UV light does help with heating up the interior during the winter months. however, during the summer, with the dash and seats heating up. you end up having to wait for the A/C to cool down the surfaces so radiant heat can be diminished. i would like it on the driver and passenger side windows. i am still debating whether or not to get one of those clear ones that sit on your front windshield.

unless i use those front windshield sun blockers/visors using either the cardboard type or plastic fabric made ones?

btw. does anyone know if Acura makes their own front windshield sun visors/blockers? or aftermarket that is made to fit the 3rd gen MDX's?

thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
^ covercraft does and so does acura. both are about $55, but they are legit fabric and cardboard ones (best on the market). i always buy a covercraft windshield sun shade as the first purchase for any car. it really reduces heat and keeps your interior from getting damaged. it still surprised me that so many people still don't use them

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ethical professional window tinters won't do what some of you want. The laws aren't uniform, or uniformly enforced, but there are laws. Take a look here before proceeding: Automotive Window Film State Law Charts - International Window Film Association | IWFA.com

Generally speaking, the rear side windows and rear window are allowed to be very dark, even black (after all, vans often don't have windows at all there). There are limits to the front side windows. And tinting the windshield, beyond a band at the top, is either not allowed or extremely restricted. I had my MDX done by a pro. In Oregon the windshield can't be tinted and the front side windows must have at least 35% transmissivity (I ended up with a few percent more). The rear sides and back are very dark - I don't remember the number but I think something around 20-25%. I like the cooler interior on hot days, and the extra privacy. I don't like it when people (illegally) heavily tint the windshield and front windows because I can't see which way they are looking, whether they are paying attention or if I have their attention - a real safety issue. Around here most of that is done (illegally) on Washington state cars that want to use our HOV lanes with just a driver so they don't get caught. It's pretty obvious in an area where tinting is not all that popular to watch all of the Washington cars with front tint in the I-5 HOV lane heading north. It is pretty satisfying when the motorcycle cops enforce the HOV laws, albeit it not nearly often enough.

·
Registered
96 Posts
35% here on the two fronts only and I'm pretty happy with it. For what it's worth, the back registered at 16% with the tint guy's meter. I was going to go 15% to match, but with the wife driving it often I didn't want her to have issues with visibility at night, or being hassled if she was pulled.

Pic:

Attachments

Reactions: JAE67

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is the interior of the sunroof and front windshield that was tinted.
Front windshield 70% Nano Ceramic and Sunroof Nano Carbon

So updated from a 2014 to a 2017 MDX a few weeks ago and just added some simple stuff to it so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tinted my front two windows last weekend with 3M film at 20%. It matches the rear factory tint quite well, with the front a slight shade lighter than rear.

I am very happy with the result. The greenhouse not only looks more cohesive, but the glare and heat reduction are significant, same with privacy. I was tempted to go with only 35%, but ultimately wanted to match the rear window %.

Now, let's hope the CA cops cut me some slack :)

2017 SH-AWD w Tech Package in Lunar Silver / Ebony btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
^ covercraft does and so does acura. both are about $55, but they are legit fabric and cardboard ones (best on the market). i always buy a covercraft windshield sun shade as the first purchase for any car. it really reduces heat and keeps your interior from getting damaged. it still surprised me that so many people still don't use them
Covercraft makes perfect fit windshield covers for many vehicles. I love it. Downside, it's bulky and not easy to store. I just throw it in the back when not in use. No biggie.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got SolarGard Ceramic Tint - Ultra Performance Nano-Ceramic Tint for all windows Except Windshield and Moonroof.

Front Two doors: Ultra Performance 20 (aka Dark Tint)
Rear Doors/windows: Ultra Performance 40 (lighter tint to give it a Limo tint since the windows are already factory tinted)

For windshield and Moonroof, i got the 3m Crystalline Tint
-70% tint on Windshield- you can not even tell there is a ting and its freaking amazing!
- 40% for the moonrooof.

I like solardgard, but i kinda regret not going with the 3m Color Stable Series. Difference, this film gives it a blueish undertone compare to the solargard has more of the greenish color tone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts