Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Owner of a 2015 MDX! Just broke 100k miles. Looking for a write-up for timing belt/water pump replacement. Do we have one on this forum? Thank you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just curious if this is more preventative in nature? If not what signs are you experiencing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Just curious if this is more preventative in nature? If not what signs are you experiencing?

Mm I don't think anyone would call a timing belt on a 7y/105k maintenance interval (this is maintenance schedule '4') preventative... more like mandatory? Especially on an interference engine! Also goes with water pump (always recommend replacement not just inspect), and checking your valve clearances.

I haven't seen anyone do a write up here, nor Azine for that matter. Hopefully these files from the 2016 Pilot (same engine) will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
It is not preventive.. Its actually a CORE maintenance item in the life of your vehicle… Although the time and mileage interval has been challenged many times before the general consensus is:

Do you like your car in its working condition?:
YES: Change the timing belt kit.
NO: Do nothing.

Doing the T-belt job can be the difference between K or less (-/+1$$$) or several Ks (+X$$$).

Reactions: TSWisla

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ugh whether or not it’s a core maintenance item, the purpose is ultimately ‘preventative’ if the belt isn’t visibly worn.

Might as well do the other belts and pulley’s while you’re in there (despite it not being a CORE item).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. Thank you so much. This is precisely what I was looking for. I have done several timing belts, but I have never checked valve clearance. Can anyone offer any advice or help in that regard?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Ugh whether or not it’s a core maintenance item, the purpose is ultimately ‘preventative’ if the belt isn’t visibly worn.

Might as well do the other belts and pulley’s while you’re in there (despite it not being a CORE item).
Main reason is a "CORE" item is because the T-Belt can actually TOTAL your car. Compared to most other "Preventive" maintenance items.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Reactions: TSWisla

·
Registered
414 Posts

Yes, you're replacing the belt to prevent damaging the interference engine if the old belt breaks. Recommended change interval is 100k.
Usually, the first sign you'll experience is the engine not running when the belt breaks (or stretches enough to skip a tooth and throw off the timing).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do they change it long with the water pump?
It doesn't make any sense NOT to replace Water Pump while you're already there. TB service is labor intensive, time comsuming, 4-5 hrs of labor charge.

You should also replace Hydraulic Tensioner w/ pulley and idler, no worries for another 100,000 miles!

·
Registered
588 Posts
It doesn't make any sense NOT to replace Water Pump while you're already there. TB service is labor intensive, time comsuming, 4-5 hrs of labor charge.

You should also replace Hydraulic Tensioner w/ pulley and idler, no worries for another 100,000 miles!
Thank you so much, I usually go to my local Mechanic for TB, I am pretty sure they will suggest me to do the water pump too, but not the pulley. Do you know the part number for them?

·
Registered
200 Posts
water pump w/gasket 19200-RDV-J01 (Yamada)
hydraulic tensioner 14520-RCA-A01 (Aisin)
tensioner puley 14510-R9P-A01 (Koyo)
idler pulley 14550-RCA-A01 (Koyo)

You may also consider to replace;
thermostat w/gasket 19315-R9P-A01
Crankshaft Seal - 91212-5MR-A01
Camshaft Seals - 91213-RKG-003 (need 2 of this)
And the Timing Belt 14400-R9P-A01

Above parts are from Acura OE for 2015 MDX, but I would go with Aisin TKH002 TB/WP kit from RockAuto, YMMV

·
Registered
588 Posts
water pump w/gasket 19200-RDV-J01 (Yamada)
hydraulic tensioner 14520-RCA-A01 (Aisin)
tensioner puley 14510-R9P-A01 (Koyo)
idler pulley 14550-RCA-A01 (Koyo)

You may also consider to replace;
thermostat w/gasket 19315-R9P-A01
Crankshaft Seal - 91212-5MR-A01
Camshaft Seals - 91213-RKG-003 (need 2 of this)
And the Timing Belt 14400-R9P-A01

Above parts are from Acura OE for 2015 MDX, but I would go with Aisin TKH002 TB/WP kit from RockAuto, YMMV
Just want to be clear, are all these thing in the same area?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just want to be clear, are all these thing in the same area?
Thermostat is NOT in this area and the seals are just optional(I don't replace these).

Also, it's good time to replace the drive belt. Some (myself included) replace belt tensioner and idler, but it's just me. Idler pulley does wear out in 100,000 miles, you should feel engine running quieter after replacing this idler pulley.

Oh, don't forget to get some Honda long life Type 2 coolant.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thermostat is NOT in this area and the seals are just optional(I don't replace these).

Also, it's good time to replace the drive belt. Some (myself included) replace belt tensioner and idler, but it's just me. Idler pulley does wear out in 100,000 miles, you should feel engine running quieter after replacing this idler pulley.

Oh, don't forget to get some Honda long life Type 2 coolant.
Oh MAN, YOU ARE MY SPOTLIGHT! Thank you so much for the advise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts