Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On researching the MDX a little more, I found that it has a timing belt, not a chain, and the engine is an interference engine, meaning that if the belt gives up, the valves will be hit (and bent).

What is the recommended interval for replacing the timing belt, and how big a job is it? Has anyone reached that mileage yet? Why doesn't Acura move to timing chains (and double row for durability), which are virtually indesctructable?

·
Registered
818 Posts
As far as I know the timing belt does not need to be changed until 105K miles under normal conditions.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey aqupta
The 3.5 Honda motor uses a single timing belt. This simple design would not be practical if even possible with a chain. The only problem with timing belts is maintaining proper adjustment (slack). Honda engineers have taken care of this with an automatic slack adjuster. Problem solved. Belts are quieter than chains and dampens out the shock loads the cams are subjected to.

Honda says the belts should be changed at 60,000 miles. Hope this has been helpful. I wouldn't loose any sleep over this, enjoy.
Harry

·
Registered
206 Posts
You are correct

rvehock said:
As far as I know the timing belt does not need to be changed until 105K miles under normal conditions.
Hello rvehock
You are right on. 105,000 under normal?, conditions and 60,000 for severe.
To keep from loosing sleep, maybe 80,000 miles is a good number:4:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Re: You are correct

Harry said:

Hello rvehock
You are right on. 105,000 under normal?, conditions and 60,000 for severe.
To keep from loosing sleep, maybe 80,000 miles is a good number:4:
I,m OK with 80K:4:

·
Registered
383 Posts
belt break will bent valve

I think this is also part of the Honda design. On other cars (Toyota or...) if the timing belt break your valves will not be damaged. But this is why all Honda products can produce high horse power with smaller engine to save gas (S2000, NSX etc)

·
Registered
818 Posts
DaleB said:
I would agree on the 80K also. It is usually recommended the water pump be relpaced at that time (less labor cost than doing it separately later on).
I would probably have the plugs replaced then too.
I agree with the water pump replacement would need to be done at the same time as the timing belt. Speaking of sparkplugs, has anyone taken a look at their plugs at all to see what kind of wear is taking place? Just curious, I cannot see a set of plugs going over 100K:eek:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I usually do:
timing belt
water pump
tensioner
drive belts

to save labor costs down the road

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well agupta, there are LOTS of vehicles' engines that use timing belts, like our MDX. It's more practicle & what Harry said. We had it in my wife's old car. A Mitsubishi Eclipse, TURBO charged, twin cams, and it had a timing belt. We had it done at 75K, & it was a perfect time 2 change. (It had a small chunk out of it, but was still working fine!) :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts