Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some threads on timing belt replacement, but I haven't found the answer to my specific question below.

My 2009 MDX Tech is coming up on the 105K mile checkpoint to replace the timing belt. In addition to the timing belt, I plan on having the water pump and spark plugs replaced. However, I understand there may be other actions/items that need to be covered (or would make sense to do) during this service. Can anyone out there provide me with their to do list for this service? Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
In addition to the timing belt itself and water pump, you need to replace timing belt tensioner, timing belt idle bearing, serpentine belt, spark plugs, and I also replaced the serpentine belt tensioner. You will also need two gallons of Honda extended life coolant. I did this work myself in eight hours of work, working with care and love.

You need to adjust valve clearance if they are noisy. I did not adjust any valves, they are not noisy in my engine.

By the way I would also clean the EGR valve, and engine passages to the EGR. Many have had issues with carbon blocking the EGR causing very poor idle and error code (don't remember which now). This would be preventive maintenance. This whole work is about two hours to have a thorough cleaning. I used throttle body cleaner for this.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
As a note... Noisy Valves are the least of the problems... By 105K J Series engines tend to have TIGHTER EXHAUST VALVES, Which are prone to make less and less noise.

So even if the Valve Train is not noisy you should still Adjust them as Exhaust Valves will always self tighten.
Intake Valves will become Looser and make more noise but by the time you are hearing excessive noise the Exhaust Valves will have no Gap which could lead to severe Valve Seat damage = $$$$.

Reactions: PRGonzalez

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you take it to an Acura dealer, make sure you get the list of parts that they are planning to install.
Unless you ask for more parts, to be installed, they won't even install all of the items in the following kit:

Go to e-bay and search "Aisin Kit TKH-002" This is the best kit to get and many, many of us have used it, with no issues.

You'll need anti-freeze and the serpentine belt (which the above kit doesn't include #56992-rv0-a03).
You shouldn't need the serpentine belt tensioner #31170-rca-a04.

It appears that this will be the first TB job on this MDX, so you can ask the mechanic to visually check your cam seals and front crank/oil pump seal.
These seals won't be included in the dealer quote, because they very, very rarely fail, but are recommended at 210,000 miles.

The spark plugs should be replaced on or near 100,000 miles.

Tip: Go to facebook and ask if anyone knows someone that has replaced the timing belt on the j37 motor, in an Acura TL Type S?
When you find somebody, tell them that you have the j37 in your MDX and need the TB done.
Expect the labor to be $250 - $300.
Ask for your old parts back, so you can give them to the buyer, when it's time to sell the car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for all of the input. Based on your responses, I've put together a list that I'll use to get quotes from my dealer as well as a couple of good independent shops.

·
Registered
354 Posts
As a note... Noisy Valves are the least of the problems... By 105K J Series engines tend to have TIGHTER EXHAUST VALVES, Which are prone to make less and less noise.

So even if the Valve Train is not noisy you should still Adjust them as Exhaust Valves will always self tighten.
Intake Valves will become Looser and make more noise but by the time you are hearing excessive noise the Exhaust Valves will have no Gap which could lead to severe Valve Seat damage = $$$$.
Thank you for the clarification

·
Registered
131 Posts
I did the t-belt t-stat water pump and all pulleys on my j35 in my Ridgeline. I can say when I pulled everything out at 140k it looked brand new. I actually felt stupid for doing it.

On the valve adjustment all the exhaust valves were tight and the intakes were loose. I did have some ticking noise but it came from loose spark plugs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts