Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering parts for a timing belt change in order to save a little money.

I'm ordering the following parts in the Aisin-TKH-002 kit:

• AISIN Water Pump
  • AISIN Hydraulic Tensioner
  • Koyo Idler Bearing
  • Koyo Tensioner Bearing
  • Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
  • Water Pump Gaskets & O-Rings
http://www.amazon.com/Aisin-TKH-002-Engine-Timing-Water/dp/B008EEYTRE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I want to replace everything related as long as I'm paying for the labor. My understanding is that in addition, I'd need the serpentine belt, and antifreeze.

Are there any other be.ts or parts I should replace at this time? The local dealer told me the serpentine belt replaces the power steering and ac belts. To those of you who are knowledgeable, is that your understanding?

I'm at 80K miles, but the vehicle is 12 years old, so I decided not to take chances. My mechanic says there's no need to change the spark plugs at this time if it's running well, which it is.

Are there any parts I'm missing? Just the kit, serpentine belt and coolant?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You will need 2 Gallons of Antifreeze.
Serpentine Belt, I know for sure the 2nd gen uses the same belt for PS and A/C but I am not certain for the 1st gen, Someone more knowledgeable will clarify this.

Also I would add the T-STAT (Use only OEM Honda 2 Stage) as you will drain the Antifreeze changing the T-Stat is more easy without the mess. Changing the Seals on the Cams and Crank pulleys is a good idea if they have never been replaced (This is preventive maintenance).

Change the spark plugs.. Specially if they are the OEM Densos they DO NOT LAST that long... Mine were at 72K and the electrode had noticeable wear. Use NGK Laser Iridium instead.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I won't be doing the work myself. Is there any savings in changing the plugs now? The engine is running just fine. I might be able to do the plugs myself, but later. My mechanic suggests waiting on the plugs.

By oil seal, do you mean oil pump seal?

Will the thermostat be extra labor? I've done this before on American cars (decades ago), but I'd rather have my mechanic do everything.

Is there an alternator belt that needs to be replacing?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You do not specify your mdx year. My 2002 has a ps pump belt in addition to a serpentine belt for the AC/alt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an 05 MDX. I was told the serpentine belt drives a few functions? Not sure there is a PS belt.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I won't be doing the work myself. Is there any savings in changing the plugs now? The engine is running just fine. I might be able to do the plugs myself, but later. My mechanic suggests waiting on the plugs.

By oil seal, do you mean oil pump seal?

Will the thermostat be extra labor? I've done this before on American cars (decades ago), but I'd rather have my mechanic do everything.

Is there an alternator belt that needs to be replacing?

Thanks for the replies.
Front Crankshaft Oil Seal, a.k.a. front main seal.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
It depends on how much wear the Plugs has.. When I replaced mine I swore I gained about 1 MPGs Extra.. Could be several other things I did when I changed the spark plugs but in any case I am hesitant to leave the stock Densos for that much time.. Even with the NGK Laser Ir I will change it in about 50-60K.

Camshaft Seals is an O-Ring that seals the camshaft from the pulley its very cheap.
Crankshaft Seal (Aka Oil Pump Seal) is the seal between the oil pump and the pulley this is not as cheap as the cam seals.

Yes the T-Stat is extra labor, You can DIY this to save $$ its very easy to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I'm ordering the Aisin timing belt kit, Bando serpentine belt, front and rear crankshaft seals, front camshaft seal and a thermostat. I've got lots of antifreeze.

Any more belts? Is that everything? I can save a lot by bringing parts; might as well get as much of the labor done as I can.
<form method="post" action="/en/cart/" id="frm_cart_update"></form><table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="tacenter bold">
</td><td class="tacenter pinched smallcellpadding bold">
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top">
</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr><tr class="car"><td colspan="6">
</td></tr><tr class="pt"><td colspan="1">
</td></tr></tbody><tbody><tr class="pt"><td colspan="2">
</td><td colspan="3">
</td></tr> </tbody><tbody id="listingcontainer[46]" class="listing-inner altrow-a-1 "> <tr> <td class="listing-border-top-line" style="width: 99%; vertical-align: top; padding-left: .5em; padding-top: .5em; padding-bottom: .25em;">
</td> <td class="listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared" style="text-align: right;">
</td> <td id="listingtd[46][price]" colspan="1" class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td> <td id="listingtd[46][quantity]" class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td> <td id="listingtd[46][total]" class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td> <td class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td> </tr> </tbody> <tbody><tr class="pt"><td colspan="1">
</td><td colspan="3">
</td></tr> </tbody><tbody id="listingcontainer[48]" class="listing-inner altrow-a-0 "> <tr> <td class="listing-border-top-line" style="width: 99%; vertical-align: top; padding-left: .5em; padding-top: .5em; padding-bottom: .25em;">
</td> <td class="listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared" style="text-align: right;">
</td> <td id="listingtd[48][price]" colspan="1" class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td> <td id="listingtd[48][quantity]" class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td> <td id="listingtd[48][total]" class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td> <td class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td><td colspan="3">
</td></tr> </tbody><tbody id="listingcontainer[49]" class="listing-inner altrow-a-1 "> <tr> <td class="listing-border-top-line" style="width: 99%; vertical-align: top; padding-left: .5em; padding-top: .5em; padding-bottom: .25em;">
</td> <td id="listingtd[49][price]" colspan="1" class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td> <td id="listingtd[49][quantity]" class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td> <td id="listingtd[49][total]" class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td> </tr> </tbody> <tbody id="listingcontainer[50]" class="listing-inner altrow-a-0 "> <tr> <td class="listing-border-top-line" style="width: 99%; vertical-align: top; padding-left: .5em; padding-top: .5em; padding-bottom: .25em;">
</td> <td id="listingtd[50][price]" colspan="1" class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td> <td id="listingtd[50][quantity]" class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td> <td id="listingtd[50][total]" class=" listing-border-top-line listing-float-box-cell-shared listing-float-box-cell-more-padding" style="height: 1px; text-align: center;">
</td><td colspan="3">
</td></tr> </tbody><tbody id="listingcontainer[51]" class="listing-inner altrow-a-1 "> <tr> <td class="listing-border-top-line" style="width: 99%; vertical-align: top; padding-left: .5em; padding-top: .5em; padding-bottom: .25em;">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If you can do the Tensioner Assembly & Pulleys from the Serpentine Belt (They have to remove this to do the timing belt) if the guys are cool they wont charge you any extra to replace it since they have to remove it anyway.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I used the Aisin Kit TKH002 on a 2008 MDX.
I also used Drive/Serpentine Belt (Gates) with Tensioner Assembly.
Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses, 4 clips (Gates).
Coolant Thermostat (Aisin)
Side Engine Mount, 2 bolts (loctite) (OEM)
I bought the parts and had a mechanic install, labour $350 CAD $243 in real money (3 Hrs).
I did the Spark Plugs (Denso OEM) myself, at 81,250 miles they looked worn but not badly.
For the timing belt I was 18 months late but it had no indication of imminent failure. The Thermostat looked like it was nearing its end.

There was no sign of oil leakage past seals, I am a firm believer in not trying to improve on perfection.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that the right side motor mount? Do the bolts come with it? I've ordered from Rockauto, but it doesn't say anything about bolts. Also, does the tensioner come with the serpentine belt? Rockauto and Amazon say nothing about the tensioner. One comes with the timing belt kit, as you know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Drive Belt tensioner is not usually included.
At AcuraBernardi.com under Engine: Alternator Bracket-Tensioner it is Item 2 $92.10 PartNo: 31170-RCA-A04

Bolts for Side Engine mount (Passenger side) under Body/Air Conditioning: Engine Mounts Item 040 Bolts Flange (12X65) Pair $1.87 PartNo: 95701-12065-08
The mount itself is Mounting Assmy Engine Side PartNo: 50820-STX-A02 Item 009 $60.91
The Service Manual specifies replace bolts but they can be cleaned off and re Loctited. The active rubber part of the fitting was deformed but not seriously. You can inspect part of it, it is on the body with a link to the engine casting about 4" dia dark rubber with metal tube covering outside surface, sides open.
You can search site using part numbers. I wish they would make it name searchable.

·
Registered
435 Posts
For your reference.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/100378-2004-mdx-timing-belt-replaced-tips.htmlhttp://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/100378-2004-mdx-timing-belt-replaced-tips.html

I agree with few that suggested replacing thermostat since coolant is drained.
I wouldn't touch the main oil seal unless it's leaking as I believe it can cause more issue than it's worth but it's your call.
Do check the passenger side engine mount as that does come off when changing the timing belt.
You can do the spark plugs separately. I didn't take the spark plugs out when I changed the timing belt and it's very easy to do on your own, separate from timing belt change.

Since coolant is getting drained, you should check all the radiator hoses to see if anything needs to be replaced.
Other is the radiator issue that people have reported but both of these can be done later since Antifreeze is not that expensive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was able to get all the parts mentioned and still come in way under the quoted price for just the timing belt kit. I'll give the mechanic all the parts, including the seals, and trust his judgment. They're not worth returning; the postage eats any savings, but I imagine he can replace all the other parts. Hopefully, I'll be good till almost 200K.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts