Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Timing Belt Parts List

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  starparking01 
#1 ·
I'll be replacing the timing belt and water pump on my 2008 MDX in the next month or so. Just want to he sure I buy everything I need and am also wondering if anyone has any tips, advice, etc. For example, do 's and dont's, things to watch out for, etc

#2 ·
There are complete kits available for puchase from many parts outlets, but you need belt, water pump, idler, and tensioner.

Some folks replace camshaft and crankshaft seals, but they are not service items and unless leaking better left alone.

Be prepared to remove the crankshaft pulley retaining bolt. You will need a powerful air impact (500+ ft-lbs) and heat on pulley bolt (that's what worked for me), or cranksaft restraint tool, two good 1/2" breaker bars, 18" x 1/2" extension, cheater pipe and jackstand for support. See youtube for numerous videos on methods/procedures for crankshaft pulley bolt removal.

Use jim clips or wire ties to hold new timing belt in position as you string it around the idler, water pump, and tensioner. Release clips/ties after verifying alignment. "realfixesrealfast" on youtube has a video on MDX timing belt job that is excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiPfB9zSgS0

good luck

#3 ·
I'll be replacing the timing belt and water pump on my 2008 MDX in the next month or so. Just want to he sure I buy everything I need and am also wondering if anyone has any tips, advice, etc. For example, do 's and dont's, things to watch out for, etc
do the spark plugs and adjust the valves as well and you've done a full service that the dealer charges close to 2k for. My cousin and myself did this and it was a *****. He's a master mechanic thank god. Texas Honda is right, that pulley is a mother and it took everything we had to break it free. Be prepared for an all day job, and good luck.

#5 ·
Be prepared to remove the crankshaft pulley retaining bolt. You will need a powerful air impact (500+ ft-lbs) and heat on pulley bolt (that's what worked for me), or cranksaft restraint tool, two good 1/2" breaker bars, 18" x 1/2" extension, cheater pipe and jackstand for support. See youtube for numerous videos on methods/procedures for crankshaft pulley bolt removal.
Already bought the crankshaft removal tool and will pick up another breaker bar and will spray the bolt with penetrating oil several days in advance. I also have an impact wrench.

Use jim clips or wire ties to hold new timing belt in position as you string it around the idler, water pump, and tensioner. Release clips/ties after verifying alignment.
Will do, along with lining up the markings on the new belt (which I will transfer from the old belt).

"realfixesrealfast" on youtube has a video on MDX timing belt job that is excellent:
Think I may have seen that one already, but will check again to be sure.

#6 ·
There are complete kits available for puchase from many parts outlets, but you need belt, water pump, idler, and tensioner.
So it's okay to go aftermarket? What manufacturers are the best? I can get an AISIN kit from RockAuto for $175 (AISIN water pump, AISIN tensioner, Koyo pulleys and Mitsubishi belt). I could use everything but the belt and install an OEM belt. Would save me nearly $200.

#9 ·
I wouldn't touch the cam seals unless they are leaking, but get the crank seal b/c it is easy for you or your mech to change out while they have it apart.
The kit came with new cam seals and a crank seal, but I didn't plan on touching the cam seals unless they are leaking. I'll definitely do the crank seal since it is apparently pretty simple. I don't see a procedure in my online AllDataDIY manual. Is it just a matter of prying out the old one with a pick/flathead and pressing a new one in with a large socket?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.