Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to this forum! I just acquired a 2008 Acura MDX with 137k miles (See pics) and no timing belt change just yet! So I want to get it done. The car otherwise is in great shape. It's a one owner vehicle and the previous owner had it garaged and never drove it in snow so it's pretty clean underneath and rust free on the body. No accidents and always serviced at the dealer, etc. Pretty excited to pick this up! Anywho I want to get the timing belt / water pump stuff done shortly with a mechanic friend of mine. Just concerned which kit you'd advise? Can you link me your preferred one from Amazon, etc?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
Try e-bay for:
Aisin TKH 002, as they are almost entirely OEM parts in that kit.

You can compare e-bay various kits with these OEM part numbers:

Timing Belt 14400-RCA-A01
Water Pump 19200-RDV-J01
Hydro "T" Tensioner 14520-RCA-A01
Idler Pulley 14550-RCA-A01
Tension Pulley (for timing belt adjusting) 14510-RCA-A01
Serpentine Belt 38920-RCA-A03
2 Gallons of Asian Red Antifreeze, from Advance Auto Parts

Some people will change out their thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, but those items will not be part of an e-bay Timing Belt kit.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Buy the Aisin kit TKH-002 and replace the actual T-Belt with the OEM One and you are set.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m preparing to do this service on my 2011. I talk with technician at local Acura dealership. He said they replace belt auto tensioner, belt, and water pump. Also any other parts that showing wear. The factory service manual to mention using new bolt in idler pulley. Also he said they regularly redo water pumps that are after market. So he said I could use other after market parts, but to make sure I use a Acura or Honda water pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
I will echo the same sentiments. If you are doing the job, then get the Aisin kit. However, if you are not, get the dealership to get it done. You could also call a Honda dealership and see if they could get it done for you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the response guys, great information!
Since you seem to be in the preventive maintenance mind frame; I suggest you search the threads for Radiator replacement. Long story short, our MDX's radiator can rupture internally, causing the transmission fluid and coolant to mix. The first symptom is transmission problems, which, if you catch it right away, would require a tow to prevent further damage.

Definitely a DIY, and will run you under $400. there are a few threads explain the rupture, and a few for the DIY portion. I did mine about a month ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you seem to be in the preventive maintenance mind frame; I suggest you search the threads for Radiator replacement. Long story short, our MDX's radiator can rupture internally, causing the transmission fluid and coolant to mix. The first symptom is transmission problems, which, if you catch it right away, would require a tow to prevent further damage.

Definitely a DIY, and will run you under $400. there are a few threads explain the rupture, and a few for the DIY portion. I did mine about a month ago.
Thank you for that tip, will definitely get it done

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

Does the radiator preventive replacement also applied to 2011 as well and at what mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts