Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I am at 119K and past due on my timing belt kit for 2011 Acura MDX. This is my first post so I cannot post any link. Following is the description from Ebay which says the kit includes All Genuine OEM parts with pics

Genuine Honda OEM Timing Belt & Water Pump Kit Fit For Honda/Acura V6 Odyssey

Seller is dolphine

Did anyone purchased from this seller?

Please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Be wary of those super cheap all "Genuine OEM Kits".. More than likely are counterfeits… If you are buying that style of kits make sure the seller is a REAL Acura/Honda dealership or resellers. Otherwise you can be buying fake parts.

If you dont want to mess with it just buy the AISIN TKH-002 kit which is all OEM parts (except the belt) without Honda logos. This kit is the most trusted aftermarket option in the community, just buy the OEM belt (made by UNITTA aka GATES of Japan) do not use the included Mitsuboshi belt.

Reactions: Miker104

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I will stay away from Ebay , looks fishy.

I see this Aisin kit is sold by Amazon so I believe safe to buy.

As suggested I will buy OEM timing belt separately.

Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thank you for your response. I will stay away from Ebay , looks fishy.

I see this Aisin kit is sold by Amazon so I believe safe to buy.

As suggested I will buy OEM timing belt separately.

Thanks
NO NO NO! Amazon is no safer than Ebay with all of their 3rd party sellers! Counterfeits galore there as well. Stick to either OEM from one of the aggressive online dealerships or get the Aisin kit from rockauto.com. You need to buy from someone who fully controls their supply chain.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yeah dont use Amazon..
Instead buy it from Rockauto.com as suggested by Pkrface

Amazon is a gamble they usually repack older units into units that dont come with x piece so you have a miss match of older and newer parts.. They also send you kits that were returned by customers with their older hardware as its a common scam. Avoid Amazon for the kit at all costs.

Rockauto.com : https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/aisin,TKH002,timing+belt,+water+pump+&+component+kit,16088

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you pkrface and Skirmich. Appreciate it.

I noticed that the kit at RockAuto does not include the Serpentine Belt. Don't we have to replace that as well?

Also, Please suggest any online website who sells OEM parts and fluids at a competitive price.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Your welcome!

No, the T-belt kit does not include the accessory belt as its not a core part of the T-Belt job. I buy my OEM parts at hondapartsunlimited.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi ,

I noticed in this forum that some of the members are also recommending oemacuraparts.com and also mentioned that we might have some coupons codes for additional discount.
Please let me know where can I find the coupons codes?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi -

I finally decided to go with OEM parts and ordered from oemacuraparts.com after comparing the quotes with different OEM online retailers. Thanks for all the input.

Thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
The OEM online stores are very close in price.
Shipping can be another issue.

hondapartsunlimited dot com Phoenix, AZ

newoempartsonline dot com Savanh, GA

bernardiparts dot com Boston, MA

acurapartsforless dot com New Jersey

acuraexpressparts dot com Chicago, iL

oemacuraparts dot com Peoria, AZ

macchurchill dot com Ft Worth, TX

acurapartshq dot com Las Vegas, NV

acuraoemparts dot com DelRay Beach, FL

·
Registered
172 Posts
Be wary of those super cheap all "Genuine OEM Kits".. More than likely are counterfeits… If you are buying that style of kits make sure the seller is a REAL Acura/Honda dealership or resellers. Otherwise you can be buying fake parts.

If you dont want to mess with it just buy the AISIN TKH-002 kit which is all OEM parts (except the belt) without Honda logos. This kit is the most trusted aftermarket option in the community, just buy the OEM belt (made by UNITTA aka GATES of Japan) do not use the included Mitsuboshi belt.
Nothing wrong with Mitsuboshi belts. Have used several over the years. However, I agree Gates Unitta are the best. Regular Gates TB’s suck...stiff and noisy.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
2x Mitsuboshi tbelts broken are good enough for me to never use them again.

But as with everything YMMV.

·
Registered
172 Posts
2x Mitsuboshi tbelts broken are good enough for me to never use them again.

But as with everything YMMV.
Wow! Were the belts old or had they been stored with twists or kinks? Both belts broke on their own, ie all other components were ok? I have never heard of a new TB breaking on its own. It is always due to a failed tensioner, WP or idler bearing.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
They were new and looked fine.. Installed in a Odyssey and belt broke 1 week later, Nothing about the work was wrong the belt just snapped and it took with it 3 sets of valves. Both heads were damaged.

The other one lasted for a year before snapping, Since then I dont install the included belt in the kit as part of the job without disclosing a warning to the client.

You can see an amazon a couple of reviews on the TKH-002 with the same issue.. Belt snapped.

Needless to say I never had a OEM Belt snap.

·
Registered
172 Posts
1 Amazon review out of 401 said belt broke after dealer installed kit. Gee, ya think the dealer maybe botched the install or actually installed the provided kit. Sorry, Mitsuboshi is one of the largest and highest quality belt manufacturers in the world. I don’t know what happened in the two experiences you had...maybe counterfeit, who knows. I have been on many Aisin auto DIY forums for 15 years and have heard nothing except great reviews re Mitsuboshi. I know of only two premature failures and both happened to you. Go figure.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I had plenty of T-belts jobs done more than a dozen of AISIN Kits installed. I used Mitsuboshi belts in the past with no issues what-so-ever and still do for the accessory belt. But I had 2 belts fail on me out of all those AISIN Kits which is more than 0 of the OEM Belts I used. Can you mention a case of snapped OEM belt? I cant so I will stick to OEM for the Belt.

But hey? If you want to use them by my guest, I gain nothing on telling you to buy the OEM belt.
I am certainly not sponsored by Honda for doing so, Its just the same heads-up I tell my customers before installing the kit.

Reactions: Miker104

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
And as for being counterfeits? I cant say.. Usually the customer bring the TKH-002 kit with them and I simply install the kit on the car. I still have the belt that came in the kit I did for my neighbor? but its just look like all the others to me.

Never had any other issue with Mitsuboshi belts, Heck the OG Mitsuboshi P/S belt in my TL-S is still going after 220K. Both that failed came in the TKH-002 kit if that matters? perhaps a shady amazon return? who knows?

The only one to blame according to the customers is me after all.. Frustrating as hell.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Mitsuboshi made some Toyota OEM timing belts and the quality is a lot higher than other aftermarket ones. I guess that is why people might have some reservations. I shall let you guys figure out in the next 5 years when I do my TB 2nd time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mitsuboshi made some Toyota OEM timing belts and the quality is a lot higher than other aftermarket ones. I guess that is why people might have some reservations. I shall let you guys figure out in the next 5 years when I do my TB 2nd time.
Don’t understand your point. What reservations are you talking about? Reservations about using a high quality belt like Mitsuboshi or reservations believing two brand new genuine Mitsuboshi belts spontaneously snapped?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Skirmish, I forgot to ask. You referenced Amazon reviews. Do you buy your timing belts and/or timing belt kits from Amazon?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts