Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a question for you guys that did your own timing belt on a scale from 1 to 10 1 being an easy job and 10 being very difficult what would you guys rate this job at???

·
Registered
798 Posts
That's a loaded question as it depends on how mechanically inclined you are, what kind of tools you have, how many other timing jobs you've done, etc...

Generally speaking, if you're able to either get the crank pulley bolt loose yourself or have it loosened before hand and you are methodical and detail oriented, you can do it in a full day if you've never done a TB job before. By this, I'm talking about idler, tensioner, water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, and coolant replacement. You may want to set aside two days where you don't need the car in case you take your time or wanna take a break or split it up into two working sessions.

I would say it's more labor intensive than actually being difficult.

The only difficult part for a beginner would be to make sure the timing marks are correctly aligned and the new TB is correctly aligned and tensioned to the gears when installing. Depending on your technique, the installation or reinstallation of the serpentine belt could be tricky with one person.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Indeed... I also believe is more time consuming than hard to do.. But
After doing several timing belt jobs on different Hondas and Acuras there is also difficult involved because of available space. If you have small hands this isn't a Problem but with Average sized Hands or Bigger this is a Problem.

From Easy to DIY to Very Hard because of Space:
1.- Accord 4cyl
2.- MDX
3.- Accord V6
4.- Odyssey
5.- TL

That's all the cars I did a Timing Belt Job.. TL is still on the Very Hard because my Hands could barely fit between the shock tower and the engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Probably between 6 & 7 as long as you have the right tools.
Crank pulley bolt wise, you can use the starter method to loose it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i all ready have the crank bolt loosened it didnt stand a chance with my 3/4 in drive impact gun i guess my other concern was the amount of space to work in
thats a really good video looks like a straight forward pretty simple job

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just make sure you are at TDC and do not move any of the gears once it's at TDC and the TB is off. I've seen quite a few amatuer mistakes done by people not paying attention and had it a tooth off during reinstallation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts