Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 is approaching 100K miles. Can anyone share what they’ve paid the dealer for a new timing belt (plus related parts)?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Called my local Acura Dealer (Cardinal Way Acura, Las Vegas), quoted me $900 for timing belt alone, add $400 if I wanted water pump. The quoted price doesn't include tensioner or anything else, I hung up after that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Do not go through the dealer! Get the Asian kit online under $300.00 and have it installed by a licensed garage. The cost will be a great deal cheaper and they have access to the manuals as the dealership so it is not a problem. Just get a written quote from the garage being honest that you have the parts! You will need to purchase a water pump thermostat as not in kit. There might be need for a right engine mount also which gets removed so replacing it with a new one would be the time too. The dealership does not install the cam seals and frankly i don't either but it is up to you if you want them too.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-Aisi...tS2wl2&vxp=mtr

I would stop by shops and ask for written quotes ahead of time letting them know you have the parts! I suspect $600.00 -$1000.00 in labor costs.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The Aisin TB kit is $168 including the water pump on Rock Auto and I would trust that source much more than ebay on being authentic. JMO

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't plan to go to dealer for timing belt & etc replacement. They're saying I should replace timing belt(no water pump and tensioner or anything else) at 5 yrs or 60k miles in hot desert weather pure baloney. My 2015 Tech has 87,000 miles on it, still a year or so to go. I'll see what others are doing, will buy timing belt kit and have some indy do the work. Getting old, don't myself for this kind of work.

The Aisin TB kit is $168 including the water pump on Rock Auto and I would trust that source much more than ebay on being authentic. JMO
I buy most of after market parts from Rock Auto, oemacuraparts.com for anything not available after market. I rarely by auto parts from EBay, only a few items like clips or stickers.

I used Aisin timing belt kit from Rock Auto for my 2006TL with no issue. But looks like Acura changed OE supplier for water pump and timing belt and what else? Koyo still supplies idler and tensioner(drive belt) but OE watwer pump is Yamada brand(19200-RDV-J01) not Aisin now, Mitsuboshi doesn't supply T-belt no longer. I need to reasearch further, please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ha! Good luck with Rock Auto. It’s cheap
For a reason.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ha! Good luck with Rock Auto. It’s cheap
For a reason.
Don't discount RockAuto altogether. They sell 4 pack of NGK 95350(OE on my 2015 Tech) plugs for under $60, you can't even buy 2 of these plugs from online dealer for that price. RockAuto can be a great source of quality OE or aftermarket parts, by far one of the best online parts stores, IMO.

Do your homework and buy selectively.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just had it done. This place has coupons which you may be able to use at your dealer:

https://www.acuraofmilford.com/service/service-specials/

Acura of Milford
1503 Boston Post Rd., Milford, CT
Service: (203) 490-0236
Timing Belt Special
$995.95
Expires: March 30, 2019
Was $1350.00- Now $995.95- includes: timing belt tensioner, drive belt, water pump and coolant.

NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY!

Coupon not valid with any other offer. Must present coupon at time of purchase. Limit one coupon per person. Coupon does not apply to prior purchases. Other Restrictions may apply, see dealer for details. Plus tax and hazardous waste fee if applicable.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just had it done. This place has coupons which you may be able to use at your dealer:

https://www.acuraofmilford.com/service/service-specials/

Acura of Milford
1503 Boston Post Rd., Milford, CT
Service: (203) 490-0236
Timing Belt Special
$995.95
Expires: March 30, 2019
Was $1350.00- Now $995.95- includes: timing belt tensioner, drive belt, water pump and coolant.

NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY!

Coupon not valid with any other offer. Must present coupon at time of purchase. Limit one coupon per person. Coupon does not apply to prior purchases. Other Restrictions may apply, see dealer for details. Plus tax and hazardous waste fee if applicable.
Funny, timing belt itself isn't included in the list, LOL, I suppose it's typo.
Seriously, that's the kind of deal I had expected, unfortunately the coupon is good for that particular dealer only. When there's no viable competition within 200-300 miles any direction, price gouging is in play. Never a special or coupon for critical service around here.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Unfortunately Rock Auto is no stranger to counterfeit auto parts or cheap parts , do a search and you will see that all the online main suppliers have issues with the influx of counterfeit parts as they all buy from china or suppliers that buy from china! The OEM parts counterfeit market is huge so one is better off purchasing these type of parts direct only.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm well aware that Rock Auto sells cheap Chinese parts, but at least they tell you what those are in most part. I don't think they knowingly sell counterfeit parts though. If I can't trust Rock Auto, I have no clue who to trust.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm well aware that Rock Auto sells cheap Chinese parts, but at least they tell you what those are in most part. I don't think they knowingly sell counterfeit parts though. If I can't trust Rock Auto, I have no clue who to trust.
These statements make no sense. Cheap Chinese parts are by definition counterfeit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
These statements make no sense. Cheap Chinese parts are by definition counterfeit.
Not really. Counterfeit parts are cheap but not all cheap(relatively) Chinese parts are counterfeit. Many Moog suspension parts are now made in China. The company sources some of their products to China, which aren't counterfeit. I'm talking about some Chinese brands like Uro, Meyle and BeckArnley, etc., they're cheap but not counterfeit, I do use some of them but never for critical parts. Do you know who use them mostly? Those who rebuild totaled vehicles.

Cheap Chinese counterfeit parts are not marked as made in China, they look cheap in most cases, but dressed like original, by definition.

·
Registered
473 Posts
There is nothing wrong with online stores websites selling cheap auto parts as there is a market for some for just that and in most cases you have the option to purchase the higher quality name brand parts too! The problem is when those name brand quality parts you think you are buying are indeed "NOT that" but cheap parts made to look like the more expensive name brand part (Counterfeit) ! This unfortunately leads to that very question of which online parts warehouses/websites you can trust? Unfortunately the statement "you get what you pay for" no longer rings true. Add to that the hassle of returns and restock, and shipping fees and explaining they are selling a counterfeit part and having them take it back! Unless its Amazon or Ebay, good luck in getting any money back. I agree I too do not believe that Amazon or Rock Auto et all deliberately sell/sold counterfeit parts. I believe it is a honest mistake.deal over the phone for a good buy on xxxx part and so they just assume it is the real deal!

If i need quality brand name parts i buy local and do my research on such parts ahead of time as things are not like they once were. It is true many brand name parts are made in china and as long as the company standards and quality controls are checked and met consistently i have no problem! You only need to look at the Honda parts offered on line with the Honda packaging that are in fact counterfeit. One thing that you can count on is that" if the price is to good to be true it usually is"!:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had Acura do it, it cost $720, they said the the water pump was in excellent condition so they left it in place.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had Acura do it, it cost $720, they said the the water pump was in excellent condition so they left it in place.
Water pump MAY be in excellent condition now, but will it stay in good working condition until next TB replacement? How about tensioner and idler pulley?

For timing belt replacement, it's the labor intensive, the reason why most do the water pump and tensioner together while the guts are opened up. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
they said the the water pump was in excellent condition so they left it in place.
I can't imagine 'not' replacing the water pump when replacing the timing belt. It's right there and easy to replace since they already have torn into it and you've essentially already paid for all that labor. In addition, there's no way the tech can determine the condition of the water pump bearings by just looking at it and any seals are now years and many miles old.

Leaving the old water pump in may be good for their bottom line since when it fails it'll be another huge bill for you (and profit for them) but it really doesn't make sense to omit replacing it when doing a timing belt change.

Of course, in your case I hope none of what I said above pans out and your water pump holds out for years to come.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Unfortunately Rock Auto is no stranger to counterfeit auto parts or cheap parts , do a search and you will see that all the online main suppliers have issues with the influx of counterfeit parts as they all buy from china or suppliers that buy from china! The OEM parts counterfeit market is huge so one is better off purchasing these type of parts direct only.
Rock Auto sells variety of brands, from OE NGK spark plugs for Mercedes and my Acura MDX, Akebone pads and Zimmerman rotors to some questionable brands, giving the buyers the true choice. But I have never heard of anyone actually received COUNTERFEIT auto parts from Rock Auto.

Have you ever experienced it yourself or someone very close to you? Or, just heard the rumors through the grapevine? Rock Auto is not an EBay seller, they're legit and I trust them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts