Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I notice a chirping noise right after the dealer replace the torque converter for me, when the car just started, the noise is like bird singing, it's very noticeable if I stand right next to the right fender, after driving for a while, the noise turns to something like, spinning a loosen wheel, it's very noticeable even sitting inside the cabin, but if I turn off the A/C, the nose is gone, very quiet, the dealer had adjusted the pulley for me once, but I still can hear it. Does anyone have this issue?

Thank you

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would say the A/C being on or off affecting the noise it has something to do with the accessory drive belt, idler pulley, or similar.

·
Registered
474 Posts
When A/C is turned on it will put a load on the belt so either your belt is wearing prematurely or more likely it is just a bearing that needs repacking! (Simple yo do) You can remove your serpentine belt and spin your pulleys and listen for noise. if so proceed with.:

1. Remove tension from idler pulley and remove pulley.
  2. Remove snap ring from pulley that retains bearing.
  3. Using a pick between the outer race and the plastic bearing seal, remove seal.
  4. Pack bearings with appropriate bearing grease. (Synthetic red grease is great)
  5. Push/snap bearing seal back in place.
  6. Re-install snap ring.
  7. Re-install pulley.
  8. Tension belt.
It might be the front bearing of the a/c itself which you can listen for with a piece of hose with engine running up close. This is not too common but seeing that you say when you turn on A/C it makes noise i thought it should be mentioned.

The other option is a worn or stretched belt so inspect your belt for wear,cracks glazing on ribbed side and any oil marks on the smooth side that may cause it to slip. Belts are usually good for 60-90000k but if vehicle is driven in extreme conditions Hot or Cold they can break down quicker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts