Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all know how disgusted I am with Acura and I would like to dump this POS SUV but I expect a layoff so I am stuck right now.

I took in the '14 Advanced for the AC Bolt recall and told the service adviser that I had a "chirp" coming from the engine. He said it was the timing belt TSB and they performed that. The chirp started about a thousand miles ago, a new noise.

Ok so after the TSB the chirp does not occur as frequently as it did before the service, but it still occurs.

Is there anyway of permanetly curing this chirp aside from putting the car out of it misery?

I guess since it would be two years old come December when the Florida Lemon Law would expire. I could continue to take it in for the same problem that Acura cannot fix and then could lemon law it before that option expires.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The TSB for the timing belt chirp has worked for me on every MDX and TL I've applied it to.

There is a chance for a technician to not perform it properly and completely countermeasure the noise. Not install the shim properly and/or not make sure there is sufficient clearance between the idler pulley and the mount bracket. Perhaps that is what happened here?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree. I first had it done at the dealership I bought our '16 from & the noise came back, actually it never really disappeared. I was told this was normal & one advisor was going to bring up another MDX to prove it was normal. I said wait the car didn't sound like this when we drove it off the lot so it's not NORMAL. I then called Acura client relations & said I'm going to take it to another dealership. Well, low & behold, the spacer they put in was defective & bent. They took it apart as if the repair was never done & the sound has disappeared, the climate control malfunction is a whole 'nother story. Take it somewhere else & have them perform the TSB to see if it helps. It takes time going back & forth & yes you'd think they would stand by their product rather than send someone off their lot with defective parts installed & not take the time to look at it again but a 2nd opinion doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This thing is possessed!

Ok, the chirping sound is still present and this weekend I was so fed up that if I thought I was not going to be laid off, I would have traded in the car and be rid of it. So the wife called another Acura dealer and explained the problem. They were very nice and set aside a loaner and wanted me to bring it in. They would send me out for a test drive with their lead tech and make sure he heard the chirp before I left the car.

Well, wouldn't you know it - not one peep out of the friggin thing! Cannot make it do it. The thing is definitely possessed.

Only thing I can think of is that it is considerably cooler here in the Florida Inferno. Perhaps it won't do it when the temp is under Hell's Inferno?

Wife has given me permission to trade the thing in for anything that costs less than the trade in value now so long as I have no car payment. Only problem - the POS had deprecated 50% less than 2 years old and 15,000 miles because everyone knows how crapulatant they are.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You might want to look for another job before you get laid off - just a thought.

As far as the car, just trade it in, life is too short. Also, be sure to write the major car mags to voice your displeasure. I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee that lasted less than 2 years for me because it was too much stress taking it in/out of the shop and paying money to keep it on the road. They ripped me off as well, denying warranty claims saying it wasnt properly maintained. Will never buy or recommend a Chrysler product due to that experience. Imagine paying 2-3k a year in maintenance and repairs to keep a car on the road that is under warranty!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well finally a positive experience with Acura!

I took the '14 to the dealer I bought it from and they had the lead tech ride with me until he heard the noise. He knew exactly what it was! Turns out certain '14 have clips that do not hold the front "beauty" cover over the radiator crowl down properly and so the plastic vibrates in the wind and echos a fluttering noise that sounds like a vibration. He replaced the clips while I waited and 20 minutes later I drove away a happy camper. He even showed me the TSB about this issue.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Turns out certain '14 have clips that do not hold the front "beauty" cover over the radiator crowl down properly
Thanks for posting what the issue was on this. It's important that people reading some of these threads realize that it's not 'the' noise, but 'a' noise - i.e. there could be different causes for similar symptoms. That goes for some of these chirping type noises as well as the noises that might emanate from the rear end.

IMO this means of using these clips to secure these plastic shrouds, especially the engine cover, is a poorly designed method for securing the parts, failure prone, and difficult to use effectively. It seems very easy to get the attachment wrong and end up with not all clips clipped in and then the vibration and noises can result. The engine cover is particularly poorly designed with the way it secures with the rubber grommets pressed over pins where one needs to apply 'enough' pressure but 'not too much' pressure or else the grommet will fly off into the dark depths of the engine bay - perhaps never to be seen again. There have been posts from multiple posters regarding missing clips and non-secured clips from the factory so even the factory people don't get it right all the time. Luckily, I haven't had the issue on my 2014 other than I discovered how easily the engine cover grommets can come off when putting the cover on.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The noise from the weak cowl clips is certainly not what I'd describe as a chirp. But I'm glad your issue got handled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts