Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for those of you who have changed their 1G MDX timing belts...

Would it be an advantage to have the right strut removed for the process? I've got a garage full of parts (timing belt kit, new struts and mounts, as well as some hoses) and am wondering if access to the timing belt would be better with the strut out of the way (since it's gonna come out anyway).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got my 1G at 102k and the first thing I did was change the timing belt (my dad lost 2 cars that way).

I had help, well, more like I watched it being done mostly.

We didn't need to, I assume you mean the whole strut, I guess that's the only way anyhow? The timing belt was a hell of long job, I can't imagine adding that to the docket, but I'm definitely not a bona fide mechanic, haha.

Like you said though, it could give you more room to work and if it's coming out anyway you can kinda 2 birds 1 stone it.

Good luck on that timing belt!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I got my 1G at 102k and the first thing I did was change the timing belt (my dad lost 2 cars that way).

I had help, well, more like I watched it being done mostly.

We didn't need to, I assume you mean the whole strut, I guess that's the only way anyhow? The timing belt was a hell of long job, I can't imagine adding that to the docket, but I'm definitely not a bona fide mechanic, haha.

Like you said though, it could give you more room to work and if it's coming out anyway you can kinda 2 birds 1 stone it.

Good luck on that timing belt!
Your Dad is one unlucky dude (except for having you, of course). It is rare to have a TB break, let alone two. Do you know what happened? Mileage, age, seized water pump, etc? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A question for those of you who have changed their 1G MDX timing belts...

Would it be an advantage to have the right strut removed for the process? I've got a garage full of parts (timing belt kit, new struts and mounts, as well as some hoses) and am wondering if access to the timing belt would be better with the strut out of the way (since it's gonna come out anyway).

I just did the timing belt yes it would be great to do the struts at the same time being your there already an you have the parts on hand ( just make sure you change both struts) good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ECR, I know that there aren't any common bits between the two jobs, but it seems like you're going to be working around the strut at least part of the time doing a timing belt. I'm just thinking if the strut was out of the way during the job, it might save a little time / frustration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I actually don't remember, as I was really young, I'll have to ask him!

I do remember the cars though. First one was a 1992 Honda Civic, somewhere around 200k and the second was a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant at around 160k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts