Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video is more than 1 hour long and seems very detailed. Just wondering whether anyone has watched this video and how similar the Pilot is to our MDX?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Every single Honda J Series Timing Belt procedure is the same... The video from Eric O. Is Maintenance Manual spot on, Except the part where he cuts the t belt.

You can watch any video from a TL, Accord, Odyssey, Ridgeline, Pilot, TSX, RL, Etc and they will all be true for the MDX.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every single Honda J Series Timing Belt procedure is the same... The video from Eric O. Is Maintenance Manual spot on, Except the part where he cuts the t belt.

You can watch any video from a TL, Accord, Odyssey, Ridgeline, Pilot, TSX, RL, Etc and they will all be true for the MDX.

Do u want to edit your post a bit? Don’t know what u want to say.

I was looking forward to seeing how to replace crank and cam seals. Kind of disappointed. Also he didn’t replace oil pump and seals. This is commonly done on Toyota. Not sure about Honda.

Also when he tested the engine he left the power steering stuff unhooked. Isn’t it going to create a mess?

The part about taking engine mount off is quite unexpected to me at least. Maybe this is common for Honda V6. Taking the ps stuff apart is also quite unpleasant. Really hate to deal with fluids.

He also didn’t mention properly draining coolant in the engine block. The water pump location is quite high. There should be additional coolant down there.

Cutting the t belt is fine for him. But it would be nice to see the book way of doing it. Maybe one day it will be relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry just realized his real name is Eric O.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Never replace The seals on a Honda unless they are leaking.. More often than not you will replace the seal and it will leak pretty soon afterwards. So the Cams and Crankshaft FMS are NOT COMMON REPLACEABLE on Hondas. Only replace if leaking.

You have to remove the Engine Mount bracket as 2 bolts go through the Water Pump.. Its impossible to replace it with the engine mount bracket in place.

The part where he removes the PS Pump is not an official step but once you are in there you will appreciate removing it.. it makes a lot of extra room to play with so its totally worth it to remove it.

You have to purge the radiator for air, He didnt go through that because he edits a lot of the kiddy steps out of his videos.. If it isnt relevant he wont record it. Purging the raditor is needed after replacing the water pump, But given the amount of anti freeze lost in the process of removing the water pump its entirely LOGICAL to fill up the radiator.

The proper way to remove the t belt is by use one of the battery strap rods.. They are threaded and bolt into a special slot behind the t belt tensioner pulley.. Thread it in and it will release the pressure out of the t belt.

Do yourself a favor and get ANY HONDA J Series Maintenance Manual steps for the Timing Belt procedure, They are all the same but it will tell you all the proper procedures including the radiator air purge.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do u want to edit your post a bit? Don’t know what u want to say.

I was looking forward to seeing how to replace crank and cam seals. Kind of disappointed. Also he didn’t replace oil pump and seals. This is commonly done on Toyota. Not sure about Honda.

Also when he tested the engine he left the power steering stuff unhooked. Isn’t it going to create a mess?

The part about taking engine mount off is quite unexpected to me at least. Maybe this is common for Honda V6. Taking the ps stuff apart is also quite unpleasant. Really hate to deal with fluids.

He also didn’t mention properly draining coolant in the engine block. The water pump location is quite high. There should be additional coolant down there.

Cutting the t belt is fine for him. But it would be nice to see the book way of doing it. Maybe one day it will be relevant.

IMO, Eric the car guy is a total hack and I do not waste my time watching his nonsense. I’m pretty familiar with Toyota’s and would not agree that replacing oil pump and cam seals is common, quite to the contrary.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
FYI: Eric O. Is the name of the guy in South Main Auto Channel.

His last name is Obrochta? or something like that.

No affiliation with our loved ball joint welder Eric the Car Guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts