Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Time to get HITCHED !!

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  storwatch 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
...and if you decide to go with this, you still should install the Acura transmission and power-steering coolers (but only if you want to keep your warranty).

#4 ·
I installed a hidden hitch without trans or power steering coolers and I have not voided my warranty? I do not tow anything, I only use the hitch for my mountain bikes, why would I need coolers for two bikes that weigh a total of sixty pounds???

#5 ·
A perennial topic....

Pursuant to the Moss Magnusen act, you can do anything to your vehicle and the manufacturer cannot AUTOMATICALLY "void the warranty"...

HOWEVER, they can determine that your modifications contributed to any specific failure and can deny a claim on that basis.

So, this is how aftermarket modification vendors claim their device (NOS, chip, etc) will NOT 'void' the warranty. It technically doesn't- but try to get a claim paid on a new transmission with a turbo on the motor! (They still must honor the warranty for the radio (for example) but you'll not get much sympathy for any failures to much else.)

Now we get to the specific question of the hitch. Technically, simply having a hitch on the vehicle will not void the Acura warranty- However, if you have drivetrain (transmission or steering) problems you can be sure that Acura will (or may) deny a claim due to 'failure to follow published specifications and instructions'. You will then need to PROVE YOU NEVER USED THE HITCH TO TOW ANYTHING. A simple matter, no?

Now this is all confused by the language in the owners manual- if I recall it doesn't discuss "trailer hitch" but discusses "towing". The dealer says if you install a hitch you MUST install coolers- the owners manual (my old one) states that if you TOW you must install coolers.

So, feeling lucky? It's going to boil down to (1) does the dealer notice there is no cooler/ does he write it up, (2) do you have a failure prior to the warranty period and (3) how pissy will the warranty clerk at Acura be that day your claim comes in...

And of course, it is clear that anything that can be done to lower transmission temperatures will extend tranmission life- therefore it is advisable for ALL MDXs used in 90+ climates to install the Aux cooler, even if you don't tow.

Ard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.