Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My OEM continentals are just about shot after about 25,000 km's (15,500 miles). Not really impressed with that. Had the vehicle aligned 3-4 months ago and it was quite a bit off in the rear, but it was the front tires that were wearing very fast so not sure it was completely alignment related. My dealer service guy said that most MDX's need new tires at the 25-30k (km's) mark... Not sure if the OEM Michelin Latitudes last longer or not...

I'm looking at the new version of the Latitudes, which is the Premier LTX (released Jun 2015). They have very good reviews so far (although not a lot of time has elapsed so no long term reviews yet)... They are only a few bucks more than the Latitudes and I'm leaning in that direction right now. 100,000km tread life warranty from Michelin, which is encouraging...

Anybody try them? Any comments?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys,

My OEM continentals are just about shot after about 25,000 km's (15,500 miles). Not really impressed with that. Had the vehicle aligned 3-4 months ago and it was quite a bit off in the rear, but it was the front tires that were wearing very fast so not sure it was completely alignment related. My dealer service guy said that most MDX's need new tires at the 25-30k (km's) mark... Not sure if the OEM Michelin Latitudes last longer or not...

I'm looking at the new version of the Latitudes, which is the Premier LTX (released Jun 2015). They have very good reviews so far (although not a lot of time has elapsed so no long term reviews yet)... They are only a few bucks more than the Latitudes and I'm leaning in that direction right now. 100,000km tread life warranty from Michelin, which is encouraging...

Anybody try them? Any comments?
I'm about to put a set on my 2010 after two sets of the Latitude Tour HPs. I'll be sure to report back with my impressions.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My OEM continentals are just about shot after about 25,000 km's (15,500 miles). Not really impressed with that.
I'm not impressed with that either and is nowhere near the mileage I'm getting out of the original tires on my 2014 shawd. I'm currently at around 27K miles and they're not close to needing to be replaced yet. That means I'm getting more than double the mileage out of mine than yours - and I like to take corners fast. Getting only 16K or so miles out of an SUV type tire is ridiculously low, I think there's something else wrong on your vehicle or you're not paying attention to the inflation level, or something. I find what the service guy is saying somewhat hard to believe.

You mentioned how the fronts are wearing very fast. Have you been rotating the tires so they're at least going to be fairly evenly worn but you noticed that the front wears them faster or were they not rotated? I think you should have the front end checked more closely since tires shouldn't wear as fast as yours are. This could be alignment, suspension, bushings, or some other issues.

That said, I'll be interested in this thread for when it comes time for replacement. One issue with the Michelins is that they cost considerably more than the Contis so I'd expect a decent ROI on that in the form of more wear lifetime or very noticeably better handling, but I think the Contis handle okay.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just replace my tire with the Michelin Premier's and so far I'm very impressed. My initial observations are these tire are very quiet and ride extremely smoothly. They really make the MDX ride like a premium vehicle.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I bought my 2014 used with 30K miles. The factory Contis had 7/32 even wear on them. As part of the deal, I had the dealer install new Latitude Tour HP. I have now run them for 20K miles. I love them. Quiet, smooth, and like most Michelin they stay in balance well as they wear.

·
Registered
129 Posts
On the topic of tires without creating a new thread, my Michelin latitudes (i bought with 7/32s on my CPO 14 mdx w 13k miles) now at 17k miles 3 months later.

But my question is the pressure originally was 37-38 PSI, now in mid winter north east, it had dropped to 31 PSI. So i went to Costco to get some nitro air and told the guy 35-37, and he pumped each tire manually for no more than a few seconds. When i got to my car, the meter said 48 PSI.

What should I make of that? Ive never been wrong w Costco, been consistently happy. Could their guage be off? Could the tire pressure monitor be off? Is it dangerous to drive around with 48 psi?

I was thinking if manually deflating them down to 37, where i had them originally.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I just put a set of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my 2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD ( with the stock 20" wheels ), replacing the stock Contis. I had to upsize slightly to 255/50R20 from the stock 245/50R20 because they don't make it in the stock size, but they seem fine so far. I can't detect any major difference in noise, grip or ride comfort. The Defenders are available in lots of sizes, including 3rd-gen MDX sizes 245/60R18 and 245/55R19. Our 2014 MDX Tech is almost ready for new rubber as well.

The Michelin Defenders have more aggressive shoulder lugs than the Contis, so they appear more "truckish", but they don't feel especially "truckish". The scuttlebutt is that the Michelin Premier LTX suffers from rapid tread wear. Latitude Tours are discontinued and increasingly hard to find.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just put a set of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my 2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD ( with the stock 20" wheels ), replacing the stock Contis. I had to upsize slightly to 255/50R20 from the stock 245/50R20 because they don't make it in the stock size, but they seem fine so far. I can't detect any major difference in noise, grip or ride comfort. The Defenders are available in lots of sizes, including 3rd-gen MDX sizes 245/60R18 and 245/55R19. Our 2014 MDX Tech is almost ready for new rubber as well.

The Michelin Defenders have more aggressive shoulder lugs than the Contis, so they appear more "truckish", but they don't feel especially "truckish". The scuttlebutt is that the Michelin Premier LTX suffers from rapid tread wear. Latitude Tours are discontinued and increasingly hard to find.

I'd love to see a few photos of the Defenders on your Pilot. I'm looking to buy a set of replacement tires soon and the Defenders are at the top of my list. However, if you say they look more "truckish" (as I would expect with the tread design), they might not get my wife's approval. I think that if they give a more "balloonish" apearance (meaning higher profile), she'd be put off by it.

Though it wouldn't be my first choice, I might have to go with the Premier LTX. The Latitude Tours are actually still available, but I don't think they're worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Profile ratio isn't different for "light truck tire" Defender LTX, but the shoulders of the tire are more square, rather than rounded off like a passenger car tire.

The more "truckish" tires served me well on some dirt roads in the Colorado Rockies this summer, but I think they are a bit noisier on the highway than the stock Contis.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Profile ratio isn't different for "light truck tire" Defender LTX, but the shoulders of the tire are more square, rather than rounded off like a passenger car tire.

The more "truckish" tires served me well on some dirt roads in the Colorado Rockies this summer, but I think they are a bit noisier on the highway than the stock Contis.
I appreciate the pics. Thanks! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts