Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been almost a year since my 2005 MDX died. It's time to get her back on the road.
1. cranking silent (not a sound I associate with an engine. Silent cranking. I cannot hear the sound of pistons and valves and spark. Just a silent "Hum")
2. Replaced timing belt and timed. No change
3. Turns out the serpantine belt wound around the crankshaft when it shredded and made a mess which I cleaned up when I replaced the timing belt and set the timing.
4. No compression in the cylinders.

The question is - next steps. This engine is not seized. When cranking by hand - it feels normal. there is resistance,( i've done a timing belt before so I know what it felt like then) it cranks, there is spark. there is no sound of valves crashing together or metal moving about. I was not driving when the belt threw - but it apparently just died - there were no sounds associated with it. When I discovered the belt had wound into the crank, I pulled it all apart and discovered that the front head was 1 step out of time. It's now timed and re-belted.

I am willing to do whatever at this point. My inclination is to expose the heads and see what the valves and everything look like. I'm tempted to buy new heads because of the zero compression aspect. the question is - What could be causing the zero compression? and why the hell is she cranking fine if I have a bad head or some other major issue? is there any other thing that could cause the motor to give zero compression besides a bad head / seized motor?
I did want to mention that the spark plugs were covered with oil when i pulled them. Like lots of oil - almost as though the cylinders were filled with it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do a cylinder leak down test, this will tell where the compression is being lost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do a cylinder leak down test, this will tell where the compression is being lost.
Normally, yes. However since the T-belt shredded itself, the cams and the crank no longer turn together so you would not be able to run a leakdown test as you would perform it with each cylinder at TDC with the valves closed.

At this point, I would just throw a belt on and pray. If it fires up and is good, then great. If it runs bad, well, you gotta take that belt off anyways to pull the heads.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Normally, yes. However since the T-belt shredded itself, the cams and the crank no longer turn together so you would not be able to run a leakdown test as you would perform it with each cylinder at TDC with the valves closed.

At this point, I would just throw a belt on and pray. If it fires up and is good, then great. If it runs bad, well, you gotta take that belt off anyways to pull the heads.
I agree, but the op stated he has a new belt on and is aligned. I’ll assume he has it on properly since he’s done timing belt replacements before.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree, but the op stated he has a new belt on and is aligned. I’ll assume he has it on properly since he’s done timing belt replacements before.
Yup, just reread it. Leak down to see where you're losing compression and possibly time to pull the heads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts