Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
kinda looks like the edges are worn maybe improper tire inflation or bad alighnment tread life on that tire is 6yrs or 70k
and your tires were made in march of 2015 says so on the side
how many miles on them???

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Yeah, under-inflation plus possible alignment issues. I have the same tires with about 49k miles. Looks like mine have more tread than yours.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Look about like the ones on our 2014. Those measure about 5/32-6/32 inch of remaining tread. That should be OK for another season, depending on how much snow/ice you expect to deal with. We use dedicated winter tires and wheels so we don't have to worry about it.

There is some shoulder wear, but it is pretty equal across the 4 tires IMO. Could be chronic under-inflation or just aggressive cornering and using SH-AWD like you mean it! The grooves on the shoulder of the Contis have those gaps in them by design.

Make sure you inflate tires to the recommended "cold inflation pressure" when they are cold, or give them a couple PSI extra if they are warm.

If you want to check the tread depth, get an inexpensive tread depth gauge ( about $5. ) or stop by a dealer or tire shop. Or go to Tire Rack for some tips on how to use US coins to estimate tread depth.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kinda looks like the edges are worn maybe improper tire inflation or bad alighnment tread life on that tire is 6yrs or 70k
and your tires were made in march of 2015 says so on the side
how many miles on them???
I think maybe 30k miles, I am not sure. I called the shop and they don't have a record because their computer crashed and I don't have the receipt.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look about like the ones on our 2014. Those measure about 5/32-6/32 inch of remaining tread. That should be OK for another season, depending on how much snow/ice you expect to deal with. We use dedicated winter tires and wheels so we don't have to worry about it.

There is some shoulder wear, but it is pretty equal across the 4 tires IMO. Could be chronic under-inflation or just aggressive cornering and using SH-AWD like you mean it! The grooves on the shoulder of the Contis have those gaps in them by design.

Make sure you inflate tires to the recommended "cold inflation pressure" when they are cold, or give them a couple PSI extra if they are warm.

If you want to check the tread depth, get an inexpensive tread depth gauge ( about $5. ) or stop by a dealer or tire shop. Or go to Tire Rack for some tips on how to use US coins to estimate tread depth.

Thanks for the info and advice. Maybe Ubering too much wearing out these tires. I am looking for hard rubber tires that do not wear out so fast. Do you know any brand?

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
870 Posts
Does this tire compromise the luxury comfort and handling of the
ALL-SHWD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. Hard to tell the difference in performance or noise. The Defender LTXs just look a bit more like a truck tire because of the blocky shoulder/sidewall. And that blockiness does make them a bit better in snow and light off-road conditions. Part of the reason for the longer life is that they start with more tread depth than most "passenger car" tires.

There are other "highway all-season" light truck tires, but the Michelins are top of the heap.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No. Hard to tell the difference in performance or noise. The Defender LTXs just look a bit more like a truck tire because of the blocky shoulder/sidewall. And that blockiness does make them a bit better in snow and light off-road conditions. Part of the reason for the longer life is that they start with more tread depth than most "passenger car" tires.

There are other "highway all-season" light truck tires, but the Michelins are top of the heap.

I am 95% sure to get these tires. One more question. How is the gas mileage these tires? Can you post a few pictures of the tire on your MDX?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm currently using the Defender LTX on our 2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD ( 20 inch OEM wheels ). I didn't notice any change in fuel economy relative to the Continentals that were OE on that vehicle. Another set will probably go on our 2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD, sometime in the next year or so.

Tire Synthetic rubber Tread Automotive tire Auto part

Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Rim Automotive tire

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Tire

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm currently using the Defender LTX on our 2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD ( 20 inch OEM wheels ). I didn't notice any change in fuel economy relative to the Continentals that were OE on that vehicle. Another set will probably go on our 2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD, sometime in the next year or so.

View attachment 98882

View attachment 98890

View attachment 98898

Thank for taking the time to take those pictures. I think I like it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts