Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you offer a deal to the site members on replacing our temp spares with a full size wheel and matching tire? After reading a few posts from people that have had to use the spare already, I would like the added saftey of the full size. Additionally, owners would have the 5th wheel for a full rotation cycle (if you rotate every 5k miles, you only have 20k on each tire after 25k miles)

What do ya say Tim?

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Hmmmmmm....................

The tough thing is to offer the tires. Honestly, http://www.tirerack.com would probably have a better deal on the tires than I could do. What I have done for people that ask is sell the rim (touring or not) for $200 shipped, representing $50 off list price (which is about the best I can do when I include shipping).

As of yet, I don't know of a steel-rim package offered aftermarket for those curious about that, although you might be able to find one if you measure the offset of the wheel. Just don't tell me that you guys are gonna mount these things on the tailgate and make it look like a big CR-V :D

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
No steel wheels ...

I have done some exhaustive searching in the Houston area regarding the availability of inexpensive steel wheels to use as a spare for the MDX. I have learned several things:

1). There is apparenty no steel wheels available. I've had several dealers tell me 17" rims are not available in steel. If you want aftermarket rims for 17" then it will have to be alloys.

2) The standard MDX rim is 17" x 6.5" This is a very narrow rim and I could not find a single aftermarket rim in that size. The smallest I found was a 17x7, which of course will work. It was priced at $120 which for me in Houston tax must be applied.

Bottom line Tim's deal seems to be a very good one. You can save money by going with an alternative such as I described, but not a lot.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: No steel wheels ...

msu79gt82 said:
I have done some exhaustive searching in the Houston area regarding the availability of inexpensive steel wheels to use as a spare for the MDX. I have learned several things:

1). There is apparenty no steel wheels available. I've had several dealers tell me 17" rims are not available in steel. If you want aftermarket rims for 17" then it will have to be alloys.

2) The standard MDX rim is 17" x 6.5" This is a very narrow rim and I could not find a single aftermarket rim in that size. The smallest I found was a 17x7, which of course will work. It was priced at $120 which for me in Houston tax must be applied.

Bottom line Tim's deal seems to be a very good one. You can save money by going with an alternative such as I described, but not a lot.
This post was kind of old, I wonder if anyone has found a steel wheel to use for a full sized spare since then?:31:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
re: steel wheel

Tim currently has a GB going on Touring/Base rim for $180, shipped w/no sales tax - IMHO this is probably a much better option that dinging around for a steel wheel. Ask him for the price of the appropriate OEM tire and all you have to do is have the tire mounted & balanced - s/b apprx $10 if you shop around. My math comes out to apprx $332 for touring and $279 for base (rim + tire + mount) :4:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: re: steel wheel

socalJD said:
Tim currently has a GB going on Touring/Base rim for $180, shipped w/no sales tax - IMHO this is probably a much better option that dinging around for a steel wheel. Ask him for the price of the appropriate OEM tire and all you have to do is have the tire mounted & balanced - s/b apprx $10 if you shop around. My math comes out to apprx $332 for touring and $279 for base (rim + tire + mount) :4:
I wasn't planning on a five wheel rotation, so a steel wheel and any ol' radial of right size would do for a spare IMO. I was hoping to cut your price range in half.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Give Tim a call and ask him about scratch & dents. He sometimes has some returned rims that were damaged in shipping, at substantial savings. While they have cosmetic damage, they work great for a spare if you don't plan to do a five tire rotation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts