Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2007 MDX and "tighten fuel cap" message keeps coming on as soon as I start the car. Got the car in December and it has been like that since. There were days that sometimes it does not come on for a day or so but now it come on everytime i start the car. Couple months ago i have gotten new fuel cap from dealer and still the same. I have emission coming in November and this stupid thing will fail me. Where should I look into? It will not cylce itself and go away and fuel cap has been changed

·
Registered
61 Posts
How hard it is to replace the fuel cap? I have search and can't seem to find a forum on how to remove the old and replace it.

i don't want to break anything by forcing the end of cord that's attached to my MDX.
thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was not hard i kept old cord and installed new fuel cap but still no luck "tighten fuel cap" message still on. Dont know where to start from.

·
Registered
737 Posts
did you change pcv valve?

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i went to dealer to ge PCV valve which is $30 and they toldme if it not clogged it fine. They said I probably need EVAP purge control valve which is like $130. By PCV valve did you mean evap purge control valve????

·
Registered
721 Posts
It's easy to test the PCV valve.

Find it and pull it out. Wipe it off and see if the rubber seal is cracked or if its hole is obstructed.

Check the vacuum hose that it is connected to , for cracks.

Put it back and start the suv. Pull the PCV valve out and put your finger over the hole. Each time you remove your finger it should click. You can feel it click, if you can't hear it.

So, cover and uncover the hole several times. If it doesn't click it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
58 Posts
it most likely a vacum leak on the emission system..japanease vehicles are famous for this problem..does it throw a code for this problem (check engine)

·
Registered
9 Posts
no clue, i may be wrong it was a long time ago, maybe it was just evap leak, but for some reason i recall the mechanic said small evap leak... like i said though i probably just remember wrong.

What code said a small leak? I always thought either it has a leak or it doesn't. I didn't know there is a code that differentiates between a big leak and a small leak?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Small or big evap leak in Illinois you cant pass emission test which happens every two years and if you cant pass they wont let you renew your license plates. Emissions are a ***** that is why i drive 1994 Mercedes E320 cabriolet and JETTA tdi diesel and no emissions on those only on my wifes MDX. These new car with those dummy lights are ridicoulous.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts