#1 ·
Just some pics to show how small a garage the MDX can fit into:

Our garage door opening: Width 89.5", Height 72"
MDX (Touring): Width 87", Height 72.5" :eek:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Tight Fit 2

Donsev... I have a dualie garage, but each is 90.5W x 81.0H so I guess mine (due in 8/28/01) will fit....but I was always worried about it. Thanks for your post....btw, the factory list says the width is 77"....I gues that is without mirrors...do you mean that the side mirrors add 10" to the width?

#5 ·
Re: Tight Fit 2

octavian said:
...btw, the factory list says the width is 77"....I gues that is without mirrors...do you mean that the side mirrors add 10" to the width?
Yep, well actually I haven't verified that the *factory* spec is correct but I can verify that the MAXIMUM width is 87" b/w the ends of the side views.

#7 ·
WOW! Now that is TIGHT!

#8 ·
There's Tight & Then There's Tight

AtlantaMDX said:
WOW! Now that is TIGHT!
But You'd Better Not Be When You Drive In :D :D

#10 ·
Re: Re: There's Tight & Then There's Tight

donsev said:

Actually, IN is the easy part. OUT is the nail-biter. But it is amazing how quickly you get used to threadin' that needle.
This is so true! Our garage is behind the house - the width between our neighbor's and our house is 8' Max (not allowing for the odd downspout, electical box, etc...) Houses are pretty deep too. Driving through this laneway was a little tough at first (as a matter of fact, my wife scraped the mirror of the demo, when we first test drove the truck - delayed our purchase by 5 months because of the psychological trauma!), but now we just breeze through. Fortunately, we have enough space to turn around in front of the garage, wouldn't want to back out!

Looking at your pics, I will definitely stop complaining about space in our garage. Question - what do you do, climb out the back hatch?? :)

#11 ·
Don't kid yourself. Donsev *lives* in the garage! ;)

#13 ·
brr...
that is one tiny hole? what is this - a refurnished clothet? what gets me even more that there is plenty of space on both sides of the wall!!! c'mon, even for a geo metro there would be just about enough room to squize out w/door half open.

how DO you get out of there? you must have a helluva of excersise to get IN/OUT (who needs Bellys now?) trully, your MDX adds another meaning to MuiltiDimensional X-trainer termin!

#14 ·
To all of those who are curious

There actually is quite a bit of room inside the garage - there is about 3' on either side (so I can open the side doors, don't even *think* about the rear hatch) and it is quite deep. But what gets me is that the house was built in 1935. Weren't automobiles even LARGER then??

#15 ·
TIGHT Garage Avatar

Donsev, I feel your pain. I think that your garage qualifies you for a new custom avatar especially designed to honor those that have a TIGHT FIT to overcome.

Attachments

#19 ·
Sgtglok,

TOO FUNNY!

#20 ·
Tight Fit 2

donsey, my MDX brouchure (the big book) shows the 77 inch dimension looking at the front of the vehicle, and the dimension is from tip to tip of the mirrows. Have you actually measured your MDX and got 87 inched?
Went out at noon and looked at my MDX, I think your 87 number is correct. For some reason the picture in the big book is a misrepresentation! Thanks for bring this to our attnetion. JFK

#21 ·
JFK, you are so right, I noticed the same thing. It is very confusing and deceptive. I am sure it wasn't intentional by Honda, but it gives people an inaccurate perspective on the vehicle.

Fortunately, I measured my garage verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry carefully and my new MDX due in 5-6 days will fit....yay!

#22 ·
Tight Fit 2

octavian, glad to hear that you are getting your new MDX, and that it will fit! I have a double car garage, so my MDX shares it with a JAG convertable, a Harley softail heritage, and a work bench. Used to have a fold-up trailer in there also, but recently sold it. I have had my MDX since 12-15-00, have 10k trouble free and lots of fun miles. It is a great vehicle, and I know that you will love it. JFK

#23 ·
Re: Tight Fit 2

JFK said:
donsey, my MDX brouchure (the big book) shows the 77 inch dimension looking at the front of the vehicle, and the dimension is from tip to tip of the mirrows. Have you actually measured your MDX and got 87 inched?
Went out at noon and looked at my MDX, I think your 87 number is correct. For some reason the picture in the big book is a misrepresentation! Thanks for bring this to our attnetion. JFK
JFK --

And the vertical dimension doesn't include the antenna, either, as donsev and I have commiserated about before. Instead of Vaseline, I'm planning to use some Honda spray lube--just roll down both windows and spritz the door frame a bit before entering.

ablank

#24 ·
well?

octavian said:
JFK, you are so right, I noticed the same thing. It is very confusing and deceptive. I am sure it wasn't intentional by Honda, but it gives people an inaccurate perspective on the vehicle.

Fortunately, I measured my garage verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry carefully and my new MDX due in 5-6 days will fit....yay!

So Octavian, what happened? Did it fit okay? I think my garage opening is about the same as yours....I think it's roughly 95 inches. I know it's gonna be a tight fit. :eek:

#25 ·
Not Too Bad

Well, my MDX snuggles into my garage opening just fine. I don't have to, but I fold the driver's side mirror in. I have set up an ultrasonic parking light, which tells me how far to pull in, and it doubles as an aiming point.

So far, no problems.....however, I make sure I limit my Bloody Marys when pulling out or in just in case!

BTW, my opening is 91 inches and my wife's Odyssey sits in the next bay. We do the same thing with the mirror.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.