Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Had a ticking sound in the engine that sounded like it needed a valve clearance adjustment. My shop confirmed that's what it needed. They did the work last week and after I picked it up, I noticed the ticking return over a 24-48 hour period and get louder. Very odd that it was quiet, then got worse over a short period of time.

Anyone seen anything like this? Could there be an issue that is allowing the valves to loosen over time or something similar? Or potentially just a poor job at doing the valve adjustment? I envision this getting expensive to continue adjusting and playing with the variables here. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Best
Dave

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I am always highly suspect when someone says they can "hear" that valves require adjustment. For starters, "tight" valves are typically quieter than "loose" valves. As you rack up hours on an engine, valves typically tighten. So, off the bat, I question your diagnosis.

Do you have the before/after measurements for your valve lash?

As far as general valve adjustment goes, it would be expected for valve train noise to increase, slightly, after a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Hey All,

Had a ticking sound in the engine that sounded like it needed a valve clearance adjustment. My shop confirmed that's what it needed. They did the work last week and after I picked it up, I noticed the ticking return over a 24-48 hour period and get louder. Very odd that it was quiet, then got worse over a short period of time.

Anyone seen anything like this? Could there be an issue that is allowing the valves to loosen over time or something similar? Or potentially just a poor job at doing the valve adjustment? I envision this getting expensive to continue adjusting and playing with the variables here. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Best
Dave
there is a purge valve solenoid. it makes a ticking noise for a lot of guys. just google it you will see. It is very hard to pinpoint a noise inside engine bay. so don't trust any diagnosis based on hearing and sounds a lot.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.