Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing a ticking noise (similar to static in radio) from the passenger side , it's either from the front speaker or the airbag system. Took it to the dealer last week for my 1000 mile service. He said that the moonroof visor is loose and fixed it. The noise was gone and 4 days after service , the noise is back and I hear this only when the weather is really cold (I know its weird) and I keep hearing it during first 5-6 miles (or till engine temperature is normal).

Any ideas, anybody with this problem?

Silver with Touring + Nav.
Other cars:
Toyota corolla.

·
Registered
420 Posts
ticling noise

I've heard the exact same noise from the right front passenger side when the car is cold and I think I"ve localized it to the glove box (try running the car with the glove box open, in my case the noise was gone). I think I'll try to condition the side of the glovebox with leather conditioner and see if that helps. Its weird but I hear it only on uneven roads and not on very flat and smooth roads. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
noise from front passenger side

Have the same problem with my GG Base MDX.
I also believe its from either front speaker panel or glove box.
Please keep us posted if another person has the same problem and, more desirably, a solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tciking Noise

I had a noise in my front large right speaker also. The speaker screws we not tightened all of the way. The fix was simple. The cover for the speaker pops right off and a phillips screw driver is all you need to tighten the screws. This solved my problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ticking noize

Got the same ticking! Just started when the weather turned cold. I'll check out the glove box and right speaker and let you all know. Only ticks on small bumps, not on freeway. MDX w touring and nav.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It appears that this is not a unique problem... I know what it is though. My wife's 3.0CL had the same thing and the dealer corrected it. The answer I got was that Acura had issued a bulletin regarding this for her car, and the "problem" was the dash board rubbing against the windshield. The dealer performed the "fix" which was to install a small foam pad along the dash passanger corner near the windshield and it solved the problem. My MDX sometimes will make the same sounds so when I go in for my 3750 service next week I plan on having the same thing done to correct the "prblem" on the MDX. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for the very informative reply. Will try different solutions and will keep you posted.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't think its the speaker or the glove box. A lot of Honda CR-V owners have this problem with their suv's. Someone posted a reply to a CR-V owners question about this type of ticking noise. The person who replied is a mechanic that works in a Honda dealer so he does know what he is talking about.

The possible fix can be seen at http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=6308&messageid=972356361

If you don't feel too good about doing this yourself, by all means take it to the dealer and get them to fix it for you. You did pay a pretty penny for this bad boy.

Thanks
Evan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dropped off my MDX at the dealer yesterday to fix the ticking noise problem . The dealer drove around in the cold weather and said "only rattling heard is right rear seatbelt rattling on side of the seat. Clipped seatbelt . No other sounds heard".

I have to drive in cold weather to see if that was really the sound I was hearing.

One new problem: Channel 4, 5 on the radio stopped working. This has been discussed in this forum earlier. Dealer ordered a new radio for me and it won't be in for atleast
a month.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have this exact same problem. It happens only when the weather is real cold and the car is warming up. It's a quite disconcerting noise, but goes away after 5 minutes of driving. Being in Wisconsin, this happens quite often.

Let me know what you guys come up with...

Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
swathiram said:
Dropped off my MDX at the dealer yesterday to fix the ticking noise problem . The dealer drove around in the cold weather and said "only rattling heard is right rear seatbelt rattling on side of the seat. Clipped seatbelt . No other sounds heard".

swathiram:

I hope your noise is simply from the seatbelt... I have the same problem -- the noise is especially noticeable when the car is cold. I had someone push against the glove box and the noise stopped. Took it into the dealer and they adjusted the latch on the glove box, but the noise did not go away. Will have to take it in again...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Similar Problem

Sounds kind of silly, but my wife mentioned hearing some noise from the front passanger side, and after a few days of searching (including emptying the glove box, etc) it turned out to be the sun visor not being fully clipped in!

·
Registered
420 Posts
still having the noise. It is definitely coming fron the glove box area. It actually is getting slightly worse. When I open the glove box its gone. Ill have to have it checked but no time!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally , I drove my MDX in cold weather. The noise is almost gone. (80 % gone) Still hear couple of ticks once a while.

BTW the dealer got a new radio (4/5 preset buttons were not working) and replaced my old radio + cd changer.

Guess what happened, I had 5 cd's on the CD Changer. When they replaced the radio , they shipped the old radio/cd changer with cd's in them to california for servicing. Dealer says Acura Service Dept. usually ships them back the CD. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Add me the growing list of 'ticking noise' complaints

Yup, brand new mdx. 120 miles on it. But I get that ticking noise in the first minutes at night. It seems to come from the front passenger tweeter (bose speaker) even when the music is off. Must be the frigging cold!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also hear the ticking noise when it is extremely cold and when I first start the vehicle. It is definitely coming from the glove box since it goes away when I open it. Also seems to go away when the temperature warms up inside.

·
Registered
420 Posts
swathiram

so clipping the rear seat belt did the trick? lucky you

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife also noticed this ticking or squeaky noise coming from around the glovebox. After bringing the car into the dealer for the problem,they found a problem with the glove box. They lubed the glove box guides and that this will solve the problem. After a few days,all noises have ceased and they seemed to have the problem solved.

·
Registered
420 Posts
rxp

thanks a lot for the info. I think that's probably whats going on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glove Box Tick noise

Hi guys,

Got Sliver MDX w/ same minor/intermittant
glove box noise.

Its definitely something minor rubbing
on or around the glove box.

I moved the owners manual -the1 item from the right of the box to the left & noise stopped.

When I brought the
MDX in for the new radio (buttons4/5 fix)
of course the dealer said they
could not locate the noise.

Next time I go for service -I'll
show them your remarks as confirmation
of MY squeaks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts