Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched this forum several ways and I have not found an exactly similar symptom as mine.

My MDX is a 2003 with 206k miles. I love this truck. No annoying squeaks, rattles, noises - until now!

This have been getting progressively worse. I get a Clicking sound only when braking from say 20mph to a stop. Never on acceleration. Never at high speeds. I would say the tempo of the click is twice what the wheel might be turning at. Definitely from the rear of the vehicle. My first inclination is brakes, but I found nothing suspicious and I am thinking not.

A fellow on Youtube has a post where he put his GoPro up under his MDX and says its the rear half-shafts. I tend to believe it. I have two rear half-shafts coming UPS.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i_9zXC7NHI

Anybody else gone down this path of replacing REAR cv shafts? Why were yours replaced?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure enough, replacing both rear half shafts got rid of the loud, annoying ticking in the rear of the old MDX...

For anyone else doing the same job, I highly recommend removing the ABS sensor from the hub before dropping the hub arms. Replacing the axle on the driver's side went a bit easier than the passenger side. It was the passenger side ABS sensor that I must have damaged when i was tugging on the hub to reinsert the spline shaft. I had a xmas tree of warning lights on the dash when i first started it up.

I was surprised at exactly how very tight the abs sensor is wedged in its hub bore. A 1" stainless plumbing brush cleared out the rusty hole for the sensor. I still had to carefully drift the new sensor in because it is such a tight fit. All good. Resetting the ABS and VTM-4 fault went fine. I have attached the reset procedure here so you do not have to look far.

Another note, my remanufactured axles did not have the dust seals on them any longer. I used a large chisel, a dead-blow hammer and patience to remove all of the dust shields from my old shafts. Reinstalling them on the new ones amounted finding something suitable to drive them back on. Simply hammering them would have destroyed them, for certain. The smaller diameter dust shield had me tapping on a crankshaft holding socket until it seated. To drive the larger dust shield I used the core of a roll of duck-tape and a rubber mallet. Worked like a champ!

My quiet ride is back!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts