·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
149 Posts
THX "certification"

First of all, let me clear the air in regards to this certification.
For commercial theaters, it provides a "standard" of quality that assures a certain level of performance will be attained in the seating position. This is where it all started, and it has benefitted the consumer in that we get better sound in theaters now. Due to people voting by means of their wallets.

With respect to comsumer electronics, (soon to include car stereos, I would imagine) it is nothing more than a marketing ploy.
You see, most any manufacturer can pay the people at THX to "certify" their product. This usually drives the end cost to the consumer up.....and it doesn't necessarilly guarantee that one product is better than another.
In other words, are there components for home systems that are not "certified" that perform better, with more features, at a given price point, than their "certified" competition?
YOU BETCHA!!! The manufacturers (again) pay for the certification, (passing the cost on to the consumer), so that the typical Joe-Six-Pack thinks they're getting a better product......and makes the purchase. Truth is, there very well may be a better choice right in front of him......all he sees though, is the certification, so he naturally assumes it is better.

THX has come out with so many different types of certifications, (I think there's at least 3 or 4 by now.....) it's now even harder to figure everything out. Plus, there is a separate "commercial" certifications, based on theater size.

Here's the bottom line:
Will this system sound good?
Well, probably, to most people. But sound is quite subjective.
If you like the sound, then great. Mission Accomplished.

Is it a guarantee to outperform other systems?
Definitely not. It's only an arbitrary standard, depending completely on the context of the comparison.

What I can only hope is that it will eventually make all systems sound better. (This will only happen if all manufactuers compete for this certification....kinda like what happened in the late 70's with commercial theaters). BUT, this also depends on where the "bar" is set. for instance, would you be surprised to find out (one day) that some P.O.S system you used to have would qualify for the certification, as well as the much more expensive system found in a $100,000 car? Probably so......

Just my thoughts, but the THX has always been a worthless badge to me. I have equipment at home that is not certified, but most assuredly, will WAY outperform some of the stuff that I see being marketed with the THX designation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are two current home THX certifications "THX Select" (rooms under a certain cubic feet measurement) and "THX Ultra" (rooms over a certain cubic feet measurement). Even though manufactures do "pay" for the certification, THX certification is not simply a money issue. THX sets forth certain paramentors that the products must meet, i.e. for a reciever, the number of channels, the power to each channel, the allowable noise in each channel, etc. Therefore, even though there may be better products on the market, THX ensures that the products meet certain specifications.

·
Registered
452 Posts
dbuono said:
There are two current home THX certifications "THX Select" (rooms under a certain cubic feet measurement) and "THX Ultra" (rooms over a certain cubic feet measurement). Even though manufactures do "pay" for the certification, THX certification is not simply a money issue. THX sets forth certain paramentors that the products must meet, i.e. for a reciever, the number of channels, the power to each channel, the allowable noise in each channel, etc. Therefore, even though there may be better products on the market, THX ensures that the products meet certain specifications.
I agree with DavidM. As far as consumer it's a marketing ploy. In fact I have some fairly high end stuff that is THX certified and I never turn it on because for my ears, it's better without it.

Also I don't see George Lucas planning any trips to my house or car to 'certify' it. Just the road noise alone is enough to make thx certification in a car a joke. What next airplanes? Geez they use Bose of all things.

Chris

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Just what we need, more distractions while driving. . . might as well install mini plasma screens

·
Registered
149 Posts
MGTD:

What you are saying is correct, however, the basic parameters are so low in many cases, that just about any decent piece of equipment would pass the certification........if the manufacturer wanted to pay for it.

THX is getting rich off of all this, to be sure.

By the way, I own many DVDs that are "THX certified".
They do not sound NEAR as good as the DTS-ES DVDs. There is no comparison.......(Just another example of how bogus THX really is)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not to be contrary...and I'm not saying that anybody is wrong here....but as I understand THX certification, it has more than just specs...

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand it also has to do with a certain set of parameters in the way the sound is equalized, as well as sending the exact same levels to all 6, 7, or 8 speakers (yes....I'm counting the "point one" in there) as well as a certain crossover point to the LFE.

As I remember it, the objective is to get the same (or at least as close as possible) sound at home that you would in the theater.

That may be a bunch of hokus-pokus as far as I know...

I can tell you that I also think DTS and DTS-ES sound better than DOLBY DIGITAL or DOLBY EX (THX certification IS found on some Dolby discs and equipment, but are different companies...you can have DOLBY without THX, and vice-versa...they do, however work together)

DTS says they sounds better is because they use less compression when they encode... I say they crank up the LFE a little more, and emphasize the upper octaves a bit more...but hey that's me. And I could be, and probably am, wrong.

Now. can they pull it off in a car? Let's see what THEY have to say about how that happens:

http://www.thx.com/mod/products/carAudio.html

Oh and while you are there...you too can certify a car...just fill out the form!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
THX started off as a minimum standard for reproducing movie sound for the home environment.
Like many things, it was attmepting to provide some guidance when there were no standards as such, as well as some income from licensees.
Since then, most major manufacturers have come aboard and can meet those standards and beyond. They see no need to be THX certified.
I have an M&K speaker system that is THX certified, but I purchased it because it was an excellent home theater system for the money, and also has very good 2 channel music performance as well.
So while I would not totally discount equipment that is THX certified, it would not be criteria for my purchase.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Re: MGTD:

DavidM said:
What you are saying is correct, however, the basic parameters are so low in many cases, that just about any decent piece of equipment would pass the certification........if the manufacturer wanted to pay for it.

THX is getting rich off of all this, to be sure.

By the way, I own many DVDs that are "THX certified".
They do not sound NEAR as good as the DTS-ES DVDs. There is no comparison.......(Just another example of how bogus THX really is)
THX was certifying DVDs that were full screen instead of widescreen and not anamorphic (enhanced for 16x9 TV's). Whats up with that?:confused:

Chris

·
Registered
307 Posts
Like Dale says...

My DefTech speakers meet or exceed the requirements but are also not certified....DefTech sees no need to spend the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts