Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Christmas, my dear husband is buying me the ski/snowboard rack of my choice. I have a 2001 MDX touring (black, 30k miles, best vehicle I've ever owned) and need to transport 2 pairs of skis and 2 snowboards. I've checked out all the posts about ski racks and it looks like the Thule 726 is the way to go. But I am confused about what else I need. I see that I need Fat Mouth clamps and possibly spacers for the snowboards, but I am not sure what, if anything, else I need. To make matters worse, the Thule website doesn't mention anything about Fat Mouth clamps, but says I need to buy a 400 Aero Foot Pack, Load Bars and a Fit Kit which would run me almost $200 over the price of the rack. Can anyone help me figure this out? I would be so appreciative. Merry Christmas! Claire Sauer

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can't help you with your particular setup, but I just bought the Thule Evolution 1600 cargo box. It came with the quick snap clamps, but those do not fit the 'X. The 'X and Xterra are the two vehicles with bars that are slightly too wide for Thule standard clamps. I had to get the wider clamp kit ($26) which doesn't come with the quick snap mechanism, this makes for a little more work when installing/removing the box.

I bought from RackAttack.com. They have a store in the Boston suburbs which I was able to go to. Not sure where you live, but you can order from them online. Their price was better than REI and their installation was also cheaper.

You could call the Boston store since they just installed on my 'X (silver 'X with silver Thule box) and they might be able to suggest the best setup for you. Hope this helps.

Happy holidays!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I just installed the Thule 725 on my 2002 MDX w/ factory roof rack.
If you have the factory roof rack, you just need the fat mouth clamps (come in a set of 4) to put the Thule 726 on top. I believe the other mentioned items are for the MDX w/out the factory rack on top?
The fat mouth clamps work great--just takes a little while to install.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. It all makes sense now! This website is the best source of info for the MDX I could possibly imagine. Claire

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thule Ski Rack Model 725 with Fat Mouth Clamps- FM-1

I just purchased a ski rack for my '05 MDX. I had the guys at my local ski shop install it for me. The ski rack holds 6 pairs of skis and cost $105. The Fat Mouth Clamps are $29 and both items come with a 5 year warranty.

greg

·
Registered
353 Posts
JimH said:
I just installed the Thule 725 on my 2002 MDX w/ factory roof rack.
If you have the factory roof rack, you just need the fat mouth clamps (come in a set of 4) to put the Thule 726 on top. I believe the other mentioned items are for the MDX w/out the factory rack on top?
The fat mouth clamps work great--just takes a little while to install.
This is exactly right.

greg

·
Registered
353 Posts
One more positive with the 725 Thule rack. It'll hold 6 pairs of skis and 6 sets of poles. Very convenient when extra interior space is needed- let alone keeping the filthy ski poles on the outside of the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts