Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am planning a trip in a couple of weeks and went through all the threads including some research on the net and have just ordered a Thule "Play Pen" and cargo bag that attaches to the X's factory roof rack.

The play pen is approx. 33 inches wide and 60 inches long and per Thule will attach with locks to the X's factory racks. The pen is steel and painted silver and black and has a front Thule wind visor. It also comes with a cargo net and can accomodate various other Thule attachments.

Has anyone installed this on their X?? I hope it fits ok.

Please comment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please keep us posted as to the fit of your new Thule roof basket (Play Pen) as I too want to install such a creature pronto. The 60" length seems a bit excessive to me, however, as I think it will interfere with your sunroof and possibly antenna.

I've been looking at the Yakama "Load Warrier" which comes in a standard version (39"W x 44" L, by memory) as well as several extension options. 39" x 44" seems ideal but the question is fit. My neighbor just got one for his 2002 Explorer but he attached it to his existing Yakama rack which was mounted to the standard Explorer roof rack. (confusing, eh?). It does not LOOK like it will fit the std Acura base rack.

Anybody with experience, please chime in. Thanks!

seawolf

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been searching the threads and am too searching for a solution for a cargo carrier with the "usefulness-challenged" factory roof rack.

I already have a decent softside cargo carrier I used with my Jeep, however, it is too big to fit within the MDX rails. I suppose it could be used, but the utility is really diminished versus having a good fit on the roof.

I looked at the Thule web site on the Playpen and am a bit confused... they say:

"Fit Tips

Recommendations for products mounted on your factory rack system.

The Railing carrier is recommended for use on factory racks with bars that run parallel to the sides of the vehicle (front to rear). Check the approved loads for your factory rack in the Load Capability Chart. Do not exceed the recommended weight capacity for your vehicle's factory rack."

This appears to me that it wouldn't work with the MDX since the factory racks do not run parallel to the sides of the vehicle. Am I missing something?

Also, the cargo bag you mention--is that from Thule too? I just saw their cargo net, but no bag. I'm thinking if I could get this to work, then I could just use the softside carrier I have with it. :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought one, see my comments under "The Playpen Luggage Basket" thread. It seems fairly secure, but I think the new attachment hardware they're now offering will improve things quite a bit.

I'll post some photos once I receive my Playpen pouch.
-R

1 - 4 of 4 Posts