Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the Thule Frontier box and installed it directly to my MDX roof rack. You have to drill two additional holes for the rear mounts since the cross beams of the MDX rack are a little further apart than the specs for the box, but it is easy to do and the box fits fine. The only potential problem is for those owners who have a spoiler on the rear hatch. With this box, which is long and thin (not the excursion which is short and wide), I think the spoiler would hit the rear of the box when the door opens. Anyone with a spoiler should check this out when ordering a long box. Finally, from my investigation the only Yakima that fits is a metal cage luggage carrier that might meet someone's needs. None of their boxes work yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Yakima Rocket box fits on MDX racks. The only change I made was to drill 4 holes by the front mounting holes on the box to move it up a little. When the back "barn door" is open it touches the glass. Moving it up allows the door to open much higher but it still touches slightly. Put a clear plastic bumper on the box. If the darn thing would move up another inch it would clear completely. Used the box on a recent camping trip and it was great. Holds a ton of stuff. And long enough to hold Kayak paddles.:) Great for throwing in sandy wet stuff. Easy to put on and take off but only if you're tall enough to reach back bolts. I'm 6' & just make it. They make another model that's not as wide and should be no problem for vertically challenged folks. If someone tells me how to post a photo I'll show you how it touches on the back if interested. Hope this was helpful. Does the Thule box touch the glass?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the Thule frontier neither touches the glass nor interferes with the antenna. It's 88.5 inches long; 21.2 inches wide; and 15.7 inches high. It holds 11 cubic feet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thule Moutaineer with deflector does not fit

I was in the store to get one, but Thule boxes will hit the tailgate deflector and will not fit. Mountaineer is little wider than the Frontier, but I doubt that Frontier will fit on my rack with the deflector since Frontier and Mountaineer both attach the same way onto the factory racks as you described.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a rear deflector (I do not), my assessment is the same as yours, the long thule boxes will hit the rear wind deflector when you raise the tail gate all the way. You might be able to drill an addition set of holes and move the box a little more forward, however, I have no idea whether that would change the weight distribution enough so that the box would become unstable on the rack. An earlier post indicated that the Yakima rocket could be made to fit which I did not think was possible. But I do not know if it too would hit the rear deflector, perhaps the member who bought that rig would know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Regarding the Yakima box, with the deflector, I think think you'd have the same problem. The rocket box is longer & wider than the Thule we're talking about here -16 cu ft opposed to 11 cu ft. There are shorter boxes out there but if you need to haul XC skis. long paddles.etc. you need the length. The rocket box just touches the attenna and barely misses the spray nozzle. You could get their racks to put on the MDX - it would give more height. You'd think the guys that design the racks for cars would anticipate that people might want to actually use them. Maybe they could even check the fit of the most popular boxes to see if they'd work! What a concept.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thule Box

Regarding the Thule box - did you need to purchase any additional Thule hardware to connect the box to the Acura cross bars? Or are the cross bars narrow/wide enough to accept the box?

I already have a thule box, and am awaiting a 2002 MDX - so I am just trying to prepare as much as I can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. the hardware supplied with te box worked on the rack. Assuming your box has the same hardware as the new versions you should be ok. You just need to drill two new holes to get the box to allign with the distance between the MDX crossbars.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Anybody bought Roof Box for 2002 MDX?

I heard that the 2002 model moved the front rack bar a few inches backward. What box now will best fit the MDX without having to drill any holes and not interfering with the antena? From the picture in the brochure I like the Yakima types that come with the center portion kind of snugger-fit the space between the two bars so that the box is lower to the roof top as much as possible. That also seems to give a tighter fit and steability. In addition, a best fit is for the consideration for having enough clearance to enter the garage.. every inch counts.

In short, I am looking for a best fit yet get a biggest box possible. Any suggesion will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Packasport

I suspect the Packasport box will fit perfect now on the '02's since they moved the location of the crossbar back a bit. I had to do a little drilling on mine but I LOVE it. Much nicer than the Thule or Yakima cargo boxes.

If your looking to go with the high end Thule or Yakima boxes consider the packasport. It's fiberglass not PLASTIC and can be custom painted by the factory to match your MDX.

Do a search on "custom cargo box" and you'll see mine!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: Packasport

24Blacker11 said:
I suspect the Packasport box will fit perfect now on the '02's since they moved the location of the crossbar back a bit. I had to do a little drilling on mine but I LOVE it. Much nicer than the Thule or Yakima cargo boxes.
... Do a search on "custom cargo box" and you'll see mine!
I can't find your link on the search. :confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Its a 90... the largest I could get for the X. Fits pretty well now that I have the holes custom drilled.

·
Registered
339 Posts
24Blacker11 said:
Its a 90... the largest I could get for the X. Fits pretty well now that I have the holes custom drilled.
When you have chance, can you show a few pictures on the holes and the "under side" of the box?

Here is the measurement I made on the 2002 model rack...

As I understand, the front bar was moved back some distance. The distance between the two rack bars now is 24.25 inches.. This is where I would like to know if your nice box fits properly without custom drilling. And if the box snug fit on the rack, what would be the height from the roof top to the top of the packasport.. to be certain the box will pass the garage height.

Thank you for your info.

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts