Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Thule playpen basket 840 will fit directly onto the 2001 mdx factory rack? Thule website states that it makes no recommendation on this item for the mdx. Has anyone "modified" it to fit? I think the powder silver paint would look sharp. If anyone out there has done this, would you post pics pls.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thule Playpen Luggage Basket

Trying to track down some Info on the Thule Playpen Luggage Basket. Does anyone on the board use this system?

I have couple questions:

1. Do I need the 18" extensions? (I have Acura factory rack)

2. If I do need the extensions, can I still mount a bike rack (Velo Vise Fork Mount or maybe the V2?) on the Outriggers?

3. Lastly, if you do have the Thule Playpen Luggage Basket does it restrict the back hatch?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased the Playpen for my 2002 MDX, here's what I've found...

- I does fit without the extension. I believe the 2001 model MDX had its factory bars further apart and thus would require the extension.
- The old style (before 7/31/2002) attachment hardware does not fit very well. The bar saddle does not fit the factory rack correctly, this keeps the attachment clamp from being able to be closed. I removed the saddle and am now able to close the clamp but there was another problem...
- The upper bracket has a tendency to slip off the lower bracket due to a design flaw which is easily corrected with a pair of pliers (how lame). It will be quit obvious what the problem is when you see it.
- There is a new version of the attachment hardware that looks much better and may solve all of my concerns (see http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/instructions/501532704, 840.pdf). I'm now in the process of trying to order these parts. I'll post back when I get them in.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts