Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Speedy - reading your posts is like "looking in the mirror" - you echo all my sentiments.
I posted a "Lemon" question a few weeks ago in the forum and got an "earfull" of not-so-good wishes. It will be really tough to go against Honda. Especially that I simply do not see an alternative to the MDX. I would also ask for a replacement if it were to go that far!!!

I just placed another call to A.C.S. I openly asked to speak to a manager regarding possible "exchange of my vehicle". I'll see when they call me back...

The problem with the thud is, besides being a possible safety issue, is a possible long-term damage!!! Are they willing to give me an extended warranty for free??? I do not think so...
Why do I have to rely on their "word" that there is no potential long-term damage!!!

Besides, Ford still maintains that Firestone tires are not a safety-related issue!!! :(:(:( I do not want to rely on Acura's "word" that thud constitutes no safety issue. If that proves to be wrong, it may be too late for somebody...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Different THUD's?

I'm really starting to wonder if all our "THUDs" are the same. I feel for ya speedy, I'm pissed off with you! But, to answer your question, the solution my dealer found (Cush of San Diego, Service Rep. - Micheal Cain 858-650-4475), is similar to others who have posted solutions (in other threads) and has silenced my THUD.

Within the past 7,000 miles (I just broke 10,000 yesterday), I think I have heard it maybe 3 times (much milder than before) under very extreme conditions (going way too fast into the parking lot, making a right turn, tires squeeling, getting a little air from the sidewalk and then slamming back down on the pavement of the downward sloping driveway at work, etc.), BUT I have NOT been able to repdroduce it consistently like before. As in the beginning, I don't think I should hear anything, but considering the situations I've heard it since the fix, I consider it acceptable suspension rebound noise. I'm surprised I haven't flipped the baby.

Anyways, my original THUD was very severe, even frightening, it literally felt like a heavy mallet just pounded the deadpedal from the outside. As someone else said, the first couple of times I heard it, I thought a big rock got caught in the tire and flung into the bottom of the car, but I never saw any debris. I even pulled over once to make sure my suspension didn't fall apart. What concerns me the most, like I told the dealer, I don't want to be flying down a dirtroad (like that early MDX commercial, where the MDX leaves a huge dust cloud), and have the suspension come loose.

Who knows, knowing my luck, IT could come back. :( Crossing my fingers you can get your's fixed and Acura would finally admit to the problem and FIX IT!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My MDX was picked up on 4/12 and within two weeks the Thud thuded me. I now have a bit over 1600 miles...

I just took my vehicle in this past thrs. and they are going the "buffer for the front springs" route, when the buffer arrives early next week. I've not heard a follow-up report from others who are riding this "fix".

Anyone yet have enough experience with this "fix" to vote on the results?

thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The SNAP

Guys-- I must be lucky. After 6 months and 5500 milles I have yet to hear a THUD or see a WEEP.

However, I have frequently hear a snap sound at the end of the starting/ignition cycle. It's definately coming from the consol/underdash/hood area and usually happens on the first start of the day. At first I thought this was the alleged THUD that everyone was complaining about but it only happens when the vehicle is not moving.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, we might need to start a SNAP thread.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Last week on mothers day we went for a little excursion in the sierra foothills near sonora. 35 miles of dirt and gravel roads. All washboard and potholes. I was sweating the thud at every turn. It was smooth as glass all the time. Never had any skidding or loss of traction.

I have 1800 miles, mostly freeway. I do have the weeping mirror in spades. Last for days after a wash with globs of white residue.

At the end of the 35 miles I came up to about 100 yards of asphalt and began a slowdown for a stop sign. The wierdest vibration came from the back end even without the brakes applied. After I pulled away from the stop I did not hear the vibration again. Wierd.

Took me two hours to wash the car as the dust was everywhere. Could not even see out of the rear window.

Chris

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
lamdx'

THE BUFFERS DO NOT WORK!!!!!! BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. They are to stop the spring coild from hitting each other and that is not the problem. ACURA TECH-LINE, even has admitted to this.

If you read the rest of my posts in this thread, you'll unfortunately find out that they are CLUELESS!!!!!!

Sorry to give you the bad news.

sspeedy7056

·
Registered
129 Posts
easy does it dudes. Here is a simple solution. Buy a gallon of gas, open the hood, generously spread on the engine bay and ignite. Collect insurance check and purchase a Toyota, lexus, BMW or even a nissan. They are not flawless but at least they know how to fix problems. ACURA'S approach to bugs is totally wrong, i got better things to do than drive to the dealership every week, say make money to pay the car loan. I am not a guinea pig that they can try fixes on. By the way before we talk lemon law we should talk class action lawsuit perhaps. And yes i did not buy a luxury car to put myself through this pains, ACURA behaves like the phone company, they don't care, someone is got to teach them than selling luxury vehicles is not only about changing the logo on a honda and selling it for way more.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like jeych should have bought a Bravada or Forester. Once Honda fids out that a real problem exists, I'm sure they will do something about it. Working on struts, coil springs, buffers, etc. just because you heard a THUD all seems premature to me. Let's get real and look for serious deficencies.

Did you burn your computer when the support team gave you bad advice? No cars are perfect, especially after initial production. No one should buy an unproven vehicle unless
you have complete confidence in the manufacturer. Sounds like he just wanted something new.

Let.s face it. I'd be driving an X5 if I could have afforded the extra $8K. Instead, I am extremely happy with my MDX, no noise or tears. Haven't even been near the dealership since December.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Chazman - good for you!!!
Unfortunately, since I was at the dealership 5(!) times since January and since "thud" (which you luckily never heard) sounds REALLY annoying and potentially dangerous and scary, your "good faith" in Honda is not taken well by this poster.

Faith in Honda??? Maybe 1% more than my faith in Ford. :(:(

I purchased MDX because it had the best set of standard features and the best value. FIrst year bugs??? Didn't we pay THE FULL price??? Or did Honda give as a discount to be lab mice???
I DO NOT THINK SO!

·
Registered
3 Posts
No-Go on Spring buffers

Updating my experience with the dreaded thud. I went back for the spring buffers several weeks ago, and the thud is still alive and well. I'm frustated.

I put my first call into C.S. last week. They are certainly polite and put on the infamous 'Clinton face', "...I feel your pain." But you know what, that ain't fixin it!

I'm in agreement, I shelled out more $$$ because I'm sick of standard SUV's persistent problems and/or quirks. Reliability weighted heavily when I purchased the MDX. I was under the impression that extra $$$ for a lux SUV would return a better more reliable product. Don't get me wrong, I've been in the field of mechanical engineering for almost two decades and I understand that first year runs will have some unforseen problems. And I could go on and on about what I like about the MDX. But it is the next step that I feel Acura is lacking...fixing the problem(s) rapidly.

I don't pipe up too often and I can be far more patient with Acura on other problems, (ie, weepy mirrors). But I feel that this front suspension problem is far more serious. I just don't buy C.S. or the service department telling us that there is no safety issues. Anything that clunks that loudly - over speed bump or drop down type situations - has got to be doing some damage to critical components.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I could not reproduce any "thud" on my MDX. I wonder what percentage of MDX has that problem, and how many MDX forum memebers have this annoying "thud" problem ? I've just don't understand why some MDX can consistently reproduce the "thuding" noise while ohters could not ???

·
Registered
129 Posts
by the way customer services is behaving i wouldn't be surprised if their fix will be a more potent sound system or a pair of *free* headphones so you don't hear the noise.

·
Registered
359 Posts
% of thud

Hey Admin. How about a weekly poll: For owners, do you have a THUD problem? y/n. I realize not all will have the same "thud" but might be cute anyway with 1000 members.

Your call.

·
Registered
43 Posts
GoFast_K,

I cannot reproduce the thud consistently, but it is there on occasion! You may be missing it because of the radio.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Spring Sleeve

I spoke with A.C.S. manager for my district and he suggested "the next best thing" - try the sleeve. I am 99.9 % sure it will not work just like re-lubing, re-tightening and replacing both front struts did not. :( But, in light of a potential legal action, I do not think it will be wise to reject their attempts at fixing this ellusive thud.

They are supposed to call me back today or tomorrow. I will definitely bring up the "replacement" scenario and see what their reaction would be.

As far as replicating the thud: if it wasn't for CONSTANT presence of it on the bumpy roads around my house, I would also be at a loss as to whether I have it or not. 99 % of highway and/or intersection-free roads do not produce it. Most potholes either do not produce it or the entire car shakes so much that it is hard to distinguish the thud from other sounds. It usually happens when suspension engages/releases rather rapidly and rather hard.
Oh, well... There is no such thing as a perfect car. MDX came awfully close, but... :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: Spring Sleeve

vip9 said:
As far as replicating the thud: if it wasn't for CONSTANT presence of it on the bumpy roads around my house, I would also be at a loss as to whether I have it or not. 99 % of highway and/or intersection-free roads do not produce it. Most potholes either do not produce it or the entire car shakes so much that it is hard to distinguish the thud from other sounds. It usually happens when suspension engages/releases rather rapidly and rather hard.
Thanks, I will try to find an area that makes the suspension engages/releases rapidly and hard.

·
Registered
129 Posts
if this helps, this are the situations where i have been more likely to hear the now infamous thud:

Turning left and hitting a bump ,. At the intersection of a normal street with a high incline one. Raised driveways, accelerating rapidly or hard braking, turning either side and hittin a pothole and mostly when running people over.(just kidding) It's usually a combination of factors that brings it out but once you hear it and identify it, you got to learn to live with it cause acura is shooting on the darkness for a solution, i have gone trough the arm replacement, tightening, lubrication, and now i am due for the custom condom assembly (strut rubbers) did anyone say Mickey Mouse?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not all thuds are the same?

My MDX starting having a thud at 500 miles. Driver's side only. It mostly happens just before the car comes to a stop after breaking and on occasion just as I am accelerating. It does not happen over bumps. This is different then what most people have described. Any thoughts? By the way pillar nicks are present but no new ones since people began posting the problem and only the driver side mirror weeps. Otherwise great truck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
FIX-A -THUD FROM AOB

Today I took my car in to have the thud taken care of. The mechanic who accompanied me on the test drive was able to duplicate the noise right out of the garage which has a small drop-type edge. It took a little doing but he was also able to replicate it with hard braking and going over a speed bump. Hey, vip9 I took your advise and directed him to E16. Good choice-spot to duplicate the thud. He thought it was a problem with the strut.
Anyway, I received a call from the service manager later in the day who seemed excited to inform me that the mechanic had identified and fixed the problem. He claimed that it was the rubber "insolation" at the top of the left front spring out of place.
After I reclaimed my car, I tried driving over a few speed bumps and dips but to my surprise I was not able to duplicate the thud. The left front end still has a rather hollow sound when going over medium type bumps. Maybe it's just me. I've never driven in an SUV before so I don't know what is normal and what is not. Only time will tell. Tomorrow I'll be taking a trip to PA. I will try to keep you guys posted.
I am so dissappointed!!
Sometimes, I wished I had just bitten the bullet and gone with the Lexus 470 instead. I swore that after my nightmare with my 1988 VW Jetta that I would not have to through this again. And to think I came to Honda to avoid just such problems. Well, here we go again.

BTW, now my alarm won't chirp when arming or disarming even though it seems to be effective.

·
Registered
429 Posts
BTW, now my alarm won't chirp when arming or disarming even though it seems to be effective

The alarm's not supposed to chirp when disarming - the parking lights flash. When arming, the first time you press LOCK on the remote transmitter - the doors will lock, when you press LOCK a second time, the alarm will chirp.

Rail

21 - 40 of 49 Posts