Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2015 has been giving me issues with it randomly not starting.

It happened again tonight - after 20
min drive and then an hour sitting while we went on a shopping trip. On return the car didn’t start . It acted like it was going to start and it died like it has been doing. This time I had the scanner in the car and it triggered P0069 and P2101

Could this actually be a result of the throttle body sticking? My thinking - Engine heats up the carbon and when it rests it’s still hot and at the next quick start it sticks and doesn’t have the right air compensation.

It’s becoming more frequent and I can eventually get it started by stepping on the gas while trying to start which may unstick the throttle body and allow it to start.

It’s been raining for days here so when it’s dry I’ll give a look and cleaning.

It has 116k miles and I haven’t clean it once.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s still raining but I couldn’t wait so I gave the throttle body a good cleaning this morning. It was a fairly dirty - see photo. Not sure it was that dirty that it would make it stick on startup. It was moving freely when the gas was being pressed before I cleaned it.

When I put the intake back on I forgot to connect the mass airflow sensor and it was giving me the same symptoms (try to start and die) but if I press the gas and start,
it would start but idle really rough.

I rechecked my work and saw I didn’t plug in the mass airflow sensor, I connected it and it started right up.

I drove around for a bit and I will see what happens over the next few days.

Could the mass airflow sensor cause this issue?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sure could. Clean the MAF. There are sprays available to do that. At the same time clean the inside of the air tubes.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How many miles on the air filter?
About 25k - From the photo above you can see it wasn’t too dirty. It needed a replacement for sure. I did the cabin air filter too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts