Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Personally I would do it. I have 2014 tech 168k
There's a big difference between a vehicle like yours with 168K miles and the OP's with 47K miles. A TB cleaning is almost certainly 'not' needed for the OP's low mileage vehicle and it's a classic way dealerships generate revenue for very little effort on their part. For your vehicle at 168K miles perhaps it actually needed TB cleaning but that doesn't mean a low mileage engine would.

I wonder why they replaced your TB rather than just cleaning it - other than they made more money on the sale of a new TB rather than just a cleaning.

It doesn't sound right that a GPS antenna would cause your vehicle to not go over 20mph so I don't know why they would've even said that other than incompetence. It's good you found another mechanic who at least determined the source of the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Acura service is recommending that I have the throttle body cleaned on my 2015 MDX sh-awd. My vehicle has 47,000 miles on it and there haven't been any fault codes or warning lights although I don't know if a dirty throttle body would trigger any warnings.

I admit that I have no idea if this is necessary or even why it matters. I understand what the throttle body does and I also know that it is supposed to be adjusted automatically by the engine computer which apparently compensates for gradual wear/dirt.
Should I do it?
What performance difference would I see if any?
Why does it matter?
Yes! My 2014 (base) with 178k miles required a new throttle body unit last summer, during a trip to the beach! Ugh! The dashboard lit up like Apollo 13! The MDX went into “limp mode” and I was able to get off I-75 Atlanta. I was closer to Macon dealership and they reset the dashboard and that allowed me to get to Jacksonville Acura for full diagnostic. It runs great and gets better MPG too. This summer I did get the throttle body unit cleaned at my local Acura dealership $65. Fingers crossed, headed to the beach Saturday!!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts