Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I live in Atlantic Canada - we get pummeled by snow from December to March so winter tires are a must. I decided to have my winter tires on a different set of rims. I already bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires in 18", so now I need an 18" rim to go with.

Looking at these options from Canadawheels.ca :

RTX Force in 18"

I find that these rims are similar in style to the OEM wheels on the Tech (19"). May not be the best looking rims, but I don't think they look cheesy or out of place either, but I welcome your opinions! I haven't seen them on the vehicle either so it may look odd... dunno

These rims have 45mm offset, 73.1mm bore (they come with hubcentric rings), 8" in width. Those specs will work, right?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
You may get some snow build up in between the spokes. I would recommend a solid 5 spoke design. $.02. Let us know how the tires perform!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I like those rims. Snow will build up in any wheel, even the stock ones. I got these wheels for my snow tires. To save some $$$, you can always get the 18" size rather than 19". That is what I did. Your selection should fit fine. But you didn't mention lug bolt specs. Can always call the seller and ask if they will fit.

Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I actually like the stock rims better than most of the aftermarket rims people post here but I like the rim you posted.

Have you thought about seeing if a set of stock rims that someone replaced with aftermarket might be available - perhaps for a better price than new rims even though they'd be virtually new?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you like the look of OEM, have you thought about OEM 18's? Or RDX 18's? Definitely a less expensive route...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Prices on take offs are about the same for used oem. If they made steel wheels for my mdx, that's what I would get. Otherwise an inexpensive wheel for winter tires for me. In the event you slide into a curb, you don't mind sacrificing a cheap wheel.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It's possible that steel rims for the 2013 Odyssey LX would fit. Part # 42700-TK8-A01. They are 17 x 7J. The bolt pattern is most likely the same, the only hang up might be the clearance for the brake calipers.

Possible that a local Honda dealer or junk yard would have a set of take-offs and be willing to sell you one for a test with the understanding that if it doesn't fit, you can return it.

On my 2005 MDX I used earlier model Odyssey 16" steel rims as a replacement for the stock 17" alloy wheels. They worked fine. I ran a 75 series snow tire that had the same diameter as the stock 65 series all weather tires. The snow was also 10mm narrower, which I like in a snow tire, because it cuts through snow a bit better.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have looked for OEM's around my parts and couldn't find anything. My part of the world is not heavily populated like the bigger centres so hard to find specific used parts. As it is, I would have to find them in the US and have them shipped over, which would end up much more expensive than the aftermarkets. I do not want steel wheels - they look bad, add weight (extra rotating mass reduces fuel economy and performance). Since the winter season is so long, I'd rather have something that doesn't look horrendous like winter steelies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know if there's a Canadian version of www.TireRack.com, but I'd assume so. TireRack offers winter tire & wheel packages that use either painted wheels designed to resist corrosion or inexpensive aluminum wheels. They have a function to see the wheels on your car make/model/color, but I've never found it realistic enough to get a good idea.

I'm ordering some Bridgestone Blizzaks for our '16 AWD Advance to mount on our factory wheels. Then I'll put some 20"s w/ summer tires on it in the spring.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm ordering some Bridgestone Blizzaks for our '16 AWD Advance to mount on our factory wheels. Then I'll put some 20"s w/ summer tires on it in the spring.
Thats my plan also, get some nicer ( and wider ) wheels for April->November and mount thee OEMs with winters for the winter.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I agree with some comments above on keeping it plain/simple (even steel wheels) instead of nice for the winter. Snow can get stuck in pretty spokes, making things a mess.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree with some comments above on keeping it plain/simple (even steel wheels) instead of nice for the winter. Snow can get stuck in pretty spokes, making things a mess.

I've been on car related message boards for more than a decade, closer to two decades and I've never seen anyone concerned about snow accumulating in a wheel. To me, that is a non-issue, it won't affect anything and your brakes will be warm enough to melt anything.

Disclaimer my focus has always been on sports/sporty car related chat from Honda/Acura, BMW and Porsche.

Any winter tire will be better than a no-season tire.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been on car related message boards for more than a decade, closer to two decades and I've never seen anyone concerned about snow accumulating in a wheel. To me, that is a non-issue, it won't affect anything and your brakes will be warm enough to melt anything.

Disclaimer my focus has always been on sports/sporty car related chat from Honda/Acura, BMW and Porsche.

Any winter tire will be better than a no-season tire.
I agree on this one - snow accumulation in the wheels has only ever been an issue when I've gotten stuck in deep snow and the packed snow somehow gets stuck in the wheel (twice in my life). At that point you may get some vibrations until it melts away. In that case, the snow got forced in from inside the wheel - so it would be the same for steel rims.

On another note - I received the rims today. Getting them mounted with new sets of TPMS sensors soon. ONce they are on the vehicle, I will post some pics if anybody cares :)

Also, I drive my 2012 TL Elite (Advance for you yanks) with the 19" Advance rims during the winter and have never had snow accumulate enough to be a problem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just had them installed today. New set of TPMS from the dealer and I'm now good to go! Bridgestone Blizzaks in 18 inch...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts