Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2023 MDX Type S Advance
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stick with the 'self-healing' tires on the Type S? Or invest in the spare tire kit??

Slightly concerned that the self healing tires will fail one day when least convenient, do people trust those? Any experiences?? Or, still recommend to buy the spare tire kit (despite the additional 'weight' it adds).

Maybe I'm just old school, but seems kinda silly to be stranded somewhere just because you don't have a spare tire. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

· Registered
5,061 Posts
I've probably had about 8 flats or slow leaks in the last 16 years of owning 5 Acura's. Half of them were non-repairable like too close to the sidewall (nail or pinch flat) or the tire was too damaged for repair. Having a full size and/or donut spare for every vehicle has saved me from having to call a tow or having the vehicle down for 2-10 days waiting on a replacement tire and appointment with Discount Tires.

I would double check with your local Acura dealership and tires shops to see how long it takes to get a replacement self sealing tire if you get a non-repairable flat. It might be worth purchasing a spare tire if there isn't any in stock and shipping times are long (tire only to store in the garage).

Reactions: Beerg8ggles and YTT

· Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,669 Posts
I would double check with your local Acura dealership and tires shops to see how long it takes to get a replacement self sealing tire if you get a non-repairable flat.
Tire Rack has several warehouses across the country and reaches 90 percent of the country overnight by ground shipping (not overnight air). They accomplish this by sending their own trucks every day from their warehouses to the UPS distribution centers in most metropolitan areas, then UPS handles the local deliveries. So in most locations you should be able to get a replacement tire the next day without paying an arm and a leg for shipping.

· Registered
5,061 Posts
I would check for grins and giggles to see what is in stock now and how long for shipping for the Acura MDX Type S tires. Sometimes Acura runs uncommon sizes and places like Discount Tires or Tire Rack don't keep them in stock, out of stock, or back ordered. I ended up purchasing an extra tire for my 18 RLX Sport Hybrid because it took 10 days to get a replacement and set an appointment when I got a pinch flat from a winter caused pot hole.

Reactions: Beerg8ggles

· Premium Member
'22 MDX Type S Adv '17 Accord V6 Tour
68 Posts
I haven’t had many flats over the years and most of this I had were in the tread Which were repaired and would have easily been sealed with these self healing tires. But in the past two years I have had two flats that required replacement and it was good that I had a spare. One happened when I was in the middle of “nowhere“ Texas and the other required two days wait for the replacement. So I decided to order and install the spare tire kit for my Type S.

· Registered
5,030 Posts
You might never use a spare tire but when you need it - you need it. I've actually not had a flat in the 9.5 years/100K miles on my 2014 MDX but nevertheless I am glad I have a spare just in case. It's insurance. In the past on other vehicles I've had flats that have destroyed the sidewall and thus the tires weren't repairable and could not have still worked as a 'self-sealing' (too big of a hole). You could also do something as simple as hitting a curb and destroying the sidewall.

I think cars should come with the spare. The weight with it slung underneath is a negligible factor on mileage or handling IMO (even the 'S" is not actually a race car).

The cost of a spare is almost nothing in comparison to the cost of a new MDX, especially an 'S'. It's just silly that a spare isn't included with the vehicle since there's a spot for it. The spare is less than one half of one percent of the cost of an 'S' - not even noticeable.

Tip - if you have a spare, check the tire pressure every now and then since they seem to lose pressure over time and I've known some people who had a spare only to find that the pressure is too low to use it when they needed it. Mr Gold (and I) would also tell you to toss a portable inflator in the back just in case you run into a need for it - also cheap insurance and useful for keeping tires at an optimal pressure.

· Registered
5,061 Posts
Another tip with a full size spare is set the tire pressure to +/- 45 PSI. That way you only have to check your full size spare a few times a year AND it is easier to let air out compared to adding air in when you need it.

· Registered
24 Posts
I plan on getting the spare tire kit just in case. I might not ever use it but at least it will be one less thing to worry about. If the cost doesn't concern you much there is no reason not to get it just o put your mind at ease. I mean you are already worrying about it since you made this post.

· Registered
2009 MDX Bali Blue, 2022 MDX Type S Advance on order
82 Posts
I went with the spare kit. Took a couple months to get it. Donut spare took about 4 weeks or so to come in from America’s Tire. I’ve only had to use a spare once in my life but it left a lasting memory! I prefer the peace of mind of having it.

· Registered
5,030 Posts
I’ve only had to use a spare once in my life but it left a lasting memory!
You're lucky or haven't driven a lot. I've had quite a few instances where I've used a spare including in areas where a cell phone won't reach. The flats included nails on the road, a wood boring drill bit road debris through the side of a tire, damage from sharp rocks (4 wheeling), and even a curb hit once in Italy (amazingly right next to a tiny tire shop that was open late). Some of those a self sealing tire would've handled temporarily but some definitely not because the tire was destroyed.

You're right - flat tires can make for lasting memories.

· Registered
2023 Type S Adv | MBP & Ebony
21 Posts
Got the spare tire kit just in case. I have had a few flats over the years, some repairable, some not, I am sure the self sealing tires would have worked for a solid half of them. I am very glad I had a spare tire on multiple occasions when they wouldn't have worked (once with a bent wheel). Also we will be switching to Michelin Cross Climates when stocks are worn (and if I can find some in stock), loved them on a previous vehicle. For $400 the spare is nice insurance to have.

· Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
563 Posts
Just ordered the kit and donut for my ‘23 Tyoe S. Never thought I had to ask “Does it have a spare?” when researching which vehicle to buy.
Super common, last car I owned that came with a spare was 5 cars ago. Vw gti, audi s5, audi s4, vw golf r. All no spare. The v10 s6 had a full size spare stock wheel.

Worse, vw just gave you a can of that dumb goop that doesn't work and a tire compressor and said "you're good!"

The self sealing contis are worlds better than that!

· Registered
2023 Acura MDX Type S Adv
17 Posts
Super common, last car I owned that came with a spare was 5 cars ago. Vw gti, audi s5, audi s4, vw golf r. All no spare. The v10 s6 had a full size spare stock wheel.

Worse, vw just gave you a can of that dumb goop that doesn't work and a tire compressor and said "you're good!"

The self sealing contis are worlds better than that!
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. The last vehicle I bought was a bit over 5 years ago.

· Registered
2023 MDX Type S Advance
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello. Where could you get the spare tire hoist other than the dealership for a 23’ MDX Tech?
Not sure if they have it, but this website is awesome. Almost 50% off on a lot of things..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts