Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a used mdx. Have been looking at 12s 13s and 14s. I would really like a 2014, but I heard some bad things them, namely lots of software bugs, navigation issues. Wanted to know if this is common and/or how happy everyone is with their 2014. Would love any input. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2015. I haven't run into any software bugs. My iPhone/Pandora has a little trouble syncing after some Apple updates. The mapping is not and will never be as good as Google maps. Other than that, no issues what-so-ever.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have an early 2014 (built around June 2013) and have had no issues other than some minor nav issues. The nav issues are occasional hangs or loss of brains (like dials the phone rather than show the nearest motel or something like that) but those are very rare and I can't remember the lat time I was hit by it. Outside of that, the Nav 'is what it is' with some people very unhappy about its operation, some people simply somewhat frustrated at the awkward voice entry, and some not perceiving a lot of issues with it. Note the keyword 'perceive'.

I think the nav could easily be improved with a few software tweaks, and it actually was for the 2015 where they improved probably the top few frustration points I've experienced, yet Acura refuses to offer the software upgrade for 2014 owners and I doubt they ever will due to the antiquated mindset of the automotive world in this area.

Given all that, I'd gladly buy my 2014 all over again but before buying it I'd inspect it closely for any body panel alignment issues, paint issues, and I'd drive it on an extensive test drive paying attention to any unexpected noises, rattles, thumps, etc. (mine has none after the 2 years I've owned it). I also recommend spending some time in one playing with the Nav, voice, etc. and even download the Nav manual beforehand so you can have a reasonable understanding of how it functions.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Have owned an 11 and 13 and now own a 14 and 15. The wife and I love the Gen 3 over the gen 2. The 15's infotainment system is better than the 14. Can you add a 15 into your mix? If not, a later build 14 should do just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good to know, I didn't consider that latter built 2014s may have improved the glitches. What would be considered later production? Anybody know?

·
Registered
423 Posts
good to know, I didn't consider that latter built 2014s may have improved the glitches. What would be considered later production? Anybody know?
I think that anything built in 2014 should be ok. Mine is 5/14. Don't take my word for it, though.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My steering column is being replaced. Screeching noise when it moves.
Shortly after getting the MDX I set it to 'not' move the column every time I get in/out. I'm also the almost exclusive driver of this vehicle so my column rarely moves. I set it that way because -

- I don't really need it to move to get in or out - I can handle that fine the way it is just like every other car I've owned.
- The electric motors that are used all the time the more likely either the motor will fail or the mechanism will fail.

It sounds like in your case it's the latter - a mechanism failing (by screeching).

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Shortly after getting the MDX I set it to 'not' move the column every time I get in/out. I'm also the almost exclusive driver of this vehicle so my column rarely moves. I set it that way because -

- I don't really need it to move to get in or out - I can handle that fine the way it is just like every other car I've owned.
- The electric motors that are used all the time the more likely either the motor will fail or the mechanism will fail.

It sounds like in your case it's the latter - a mechanism failing (by screeching).
It's my wife's car. I'm 6 ft. She's 5'6". The wheel gets moved a lot. This is our second car with an electric wheel. 7 years on the rx350. Never a problem with the steering column. I have never not used anything because I was afraid it would fail on a car. Are you the same person who leaves the car running when you run into a store? Because you are afraid the starter will fail? Just wondering.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have never not used anything because I was afraid it would fail on a car. Are you the same person who leaves the car running when you run into a store? Because you are afraid the starter will fail? Just wondering.
No need for the attitude and snide comment elvis.

I merely stated what works for me and disclaimed that since I have no need for the column constantly adjusting itself I set it to the mode where it doesn't do that, which can, in fact, avoid some issues. Some other people reading this thread might not know about that option and what I posted could be useful for them. If people find the feature useful, then great.

You should try to take something positive from the posts without feeling the need to snap back at people with some of your negative comments which you seem wont to do.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a June 2013 build, it was one of the first 5 delivered to the dealership I purchased it from. I have had some issues, bad wheel bearing, a tail light that went out, a panel in the trunk came off when I put in a suitcase, but compared to some of the things I have read on this forum, I feel like I got a decent one off the line. It seems like it doesn't matter what year it was assembled, you have to really check the actual car for all the issues that have been raised in these discussions. I am still disappointed that there have been so many issues with this vehicle. I recently drove a 2015 Honda CRV and while it is a completely different car, I honestly thought the fit and finish was better than my MDX. I do not mean to start a new thread, but I think anyone buying this car new or used will have to accept some of the assembly issues that for whatever reason are present in the third generation MDX

·
Registered
190 Posts

I merely stated what works for me and disclaimed that since I have no need for the column constantly adjusting itself I set it to the mode where it doesn't do that, which can, in fact, avoid some issues. Some other people reading this thread might not know about that option and what I posted could be useful for them. If people find the feature useful, then great.

Like MDXSTANG I also leave the steering column in the mode where it stays in place when you turn off the car. If there is only 1 primary driver, no need to go through that exercise all the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was always under the belief that cars are allowed to be called a "2014model" if it is made after the first 6 months of 2013 therefore a "latter model 2014" would be built after December of 2014; however, doing some research I found this:

"In the United States, for regulation purposes, government authorities allow cars of a given model year to be sold starting on January 2 of the previous calendar year. For example, this means that a 2014 model year vehicle can legally go on sale on January 2, 2013 This has resulted in a few cars in the following model year being introduced in advertisements during the NFL's Super Bowl."

The 2016 Pilot rollout followed this line of thinking.

Adding that into the equation.... One must first know when the specific model year (2014) went into production and when it ended (when they started producing the 2015's).

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

You should try to take something positive from the posts without feeling the need to snap back at people with some of your negative comments which you seem wont to do.
I guess snap back is in the eye of the beholder. I just asked a question. I also said that I happen to disagree with you in my way. You are certainly entitled to do what you want. I also think I can disagree if I want. I'm sorry if I offended you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 MDX advance/ tech. From August 2013. Car is great to drive but I've had various technical issues. The adaptive cruise control has never worked properly and is sometimes dangerous. The phone pairing with use of apps has never worked. The voice recognition system is mostly useless. Last few days car wouldn't start frequently. It's a pity.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Like MDXSTANG I also leave the steering column in the mode where it stays in place when you turn off the car. If there is only 1 primary driver, no need to go through that exercise all the time.
How is this set? It would work for me also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts