Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've never had any oil usage (over 100k miles currently), but last week my wife was stuck in traffic for five hours and she idled pretty much the entire time. I had checked the oil a couple weeks ago and after 8,000 miles on this oil change it was just barely under the full mark. Today I changed the oil and checked it before draining and it had used 1/2 quart in probably only 500 miles. I'll keep an eye on it going forward but either it has just flipped a switch and started burning oil at an alarming rate or the idling had something to do with it. Curious if those that have the oil usage do a lot of idling or city driving.

·
Registered
187 Posts
We've never had any oil usage (over 100k miles currently), but last week my wife was stuck in traffic for five hours and she idled pretty much the entire time. I had checked the oil a couple weeks ago and after 8,000 miles on this oil change it was just barely under the full mark. Today I changed the oil and checked it before draining and it had used 1/2 quart in probably only 500 miles. I'll keep an eye on it going forward but either it has just flipped a switch and started burning oil at an alarming rate or the idling had something to do with it. Curious if those that have the oil usage do a lot of idling or city driving.
Mine burns oil crazy too, I only idle for 2 min then drive slow until it is up to temp

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
My wifes white 2011 MDX consumes a lot of oil, I have to check it every few months and usually have to add a litre.
We just got it diagnosed its a leaking oil pump. When we do the timing belt in the next year or two we will do the oil pump at the same time when they are in there. You don't see the oil leak on the ground, it burns away before you can notice it. My Black 2011 MDX I can go a full year (lower use) and not see the oil drop on the dip stick.
Every vehicle is different, I have two 2011 MDXs both the same models to and its amazing how different they are in how they drive and perform and feel. Also mechanically, one consumes oil and the other does not.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
It is known that 07-09 do not burn oil. The 10+ will. Which model year is your MDX?

·
Registered
187 Posts
It is known that 07-09 do not burn oil. The 10+ will. Which model year is your MDX?
Mine is 2010 Elite from Canada, I will see if oil pump is leaking or diagnose the issue. I am afraid I'm going to have to sell the vehicle if the issue presists.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts