• No

Votes: 34 85.0%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the wait is so long for an MDX, and the price is still MSRP at best..

would you consider getting the top of the line Honda Pilot?

It has leather, 240HP, and Navi available..

My co-woker is considering canceling his MDX order and opting for the Pilot.. Although I tried to convince him not to, his reasons for wanting to do so are legit..

The price
Availability (compared to the X)
Just simply need a larger vehicle for growing family
Will be his Wife's car not his..

But the MDX looks soo much better..

·
Registered
229 Posts
"Will be his Wife's car not his.. "

I take offense to that comment :eek:
She deserves less than he does :14:

Maybe she would like to drive a sleek SUV, but he is jealous that he won't get to drive it :2:

·
Registered
497 Posts
MDX - not Pilot

I thought long about spending the bucks on the MDX knowing that a Honda equivalent was a year away. In the end, I took the plunge and picked up my MDX Dec 1, 2000.

I'm at 19, 850 miles and in hindsight, it was a great decision. I would have been very disappointed if I had waited for the Pilot. I like the styling, the setup and the appointments on the MDX much better.

MB-

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yes, No, Maybe

Might want to consider modifying the poll to include Maybe in addition to the Yes/No.

To me, the Pilot's main attraction would be cost [e.g. lower MSRP]. Some other items that might attract one:

** Softer ride.
** Softer seats.
** Integrated BSM
** Auto-up window [small window].

The interesting item is that the big one, price, may not be different based on what I am seeing here in SCAL -- MSRP + Lots of bucks ....

:(

·
Registered
138 Posts
> The price
If you compare both car with comparable features, the price
difference may not be that much.
> Availability (compared to the X)
Pilot seems to be another hot car from Honda. The wait line may
not be shorter than MDX.
> Just simply need a larger vehicle for growing family
Agree.
> Will be his Wife's car not his..
This seems dangerous reason. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
A Nice Pilot Feature

One thing my kids really liked on the Pilot is the tiered row of seats. They can sit in the way back third row and still see forward and out the side windows. Also, the third row CAN fit 3 med sized kids or 3 small adults for short rides (+/- an hour), so you can seat 8 when needed. The last thing is that the third row can be accessed from both the passenger and driver's side.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had been giving some thought to it but probably would not have bought the Pilot. I don't like cars with the shifter on the steering column My MDX delivery date was mid-July to mid-August, but my dealer just called and he has one for me NOW! I am picking it up tonight. He said it was a "bonus" extra allocation they didn't expect. I wonder if it had to do with any of their customers defecting to the pilot. I am in shock right now. I'm speechless!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
IMHO, aesthetically speaking the Pilot looks like a CRV on steroids, while the 'X has a unique look separate from any other Acura/Honda body style. I have not test driven the Pilot but based on what I have read from the car mags, the drive and ride would be similar to comparing the ES300 and Camry, there is a distinct and noticeable difference b/w the two. It boils down to personal preference and whether you want the higher end model or can settle on the mid-level model.

As for availability - forgetaboutit ! Pilots will be made at the same plants as the 'X & Odyssey. And just like the 'X when they 1st came out, Pilots will command at least MSRP and probably alot more, with dealers adding a ton of expensive options to those who can't wait. Once you factor in the demand, MSRP+ premium and the fact that it is the 1st year of a new model (see issues from '01 'X owners) the 'X seems like the better and wiser choice. Now 18 months from now, the playing field may become level.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
My wife and I were able to test drive a Pilot on the first day they were delivered here in CT. We had heard a lot about it from our neighbor who ordered one months ago (he got it a week after we test drove it) and wanted to see if it was like the MDX. To me, it looks just like my CRV only bigger. It rode well but was a bit plain. I really love my CRV, but I don't want two of them and we wanted something a little more upscale. Also, the price of the Pilot (they are selling at MSRP) with leather is not much less than the base MDX. Anyway, we just placed a deposit on a red MDX due for August delivery (the best we could find within a hundred miles without having to pay over MSRP). We can't wait for it to arrive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I test drove the Pilot prior to purchasing a 2001 MDX with 11k miles on it. For only a small $$ increase, the MDX offers a tremendous increase in quality and functionality.

The Pilot does have a softer ride and a few other nice features, like integrated lights on the overhead hand grips, but the interier felt significantly "cheaper". Really felt like you were in a minivan. The exterier look of the Pilot is also....how do say...bland.

I've been driving my new/used MDX for two weeks and turning heads everywhere I go. Great vehicle!

·
Registered
18 Posts
even though the pilot says it has many advantages over the mdx, this doesn't make much sense.
pilot is an 8 seater...the 8th person in the 3rd row must be pretty small to fit, since the width is less than an inch wider than the mdx.

personally, i'd think that if i saw the pilot on the street i would think its a fake mdx, not that i have anything against honda. it would look like an isuzu to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts